I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 04:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Met with my neph !
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Met with my neph !  (Read 2467 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:20 AM »

Well i finally got to see him yesterday . I explained about my bad dialysis sessions and sadly he hasnt a clue why its happening ...not what i wanted to hear ! His best suggestion is to take painkillers and anti sickness tablets before a session. I had to do my session without these yesterday as they didnt have them on the unit ..another bad session ! Hopefully i can give it a go tomorrow!
As for my other post about THAT nurse ..its been moved to another section ..ooops ! But i have now updated it !!!!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »

Hmmm....this could be a very helpful suggestion...or not.  I don't know.  I would have liked to have seen him be a bit more interested.  Did you get the feeling that he was really trying to help?  What kind of "vibe" did you get from him?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

Hi MM, he was at his best yesterday ! Normally he is a very stiff and formal man but he could see how the treatments  (and the other problems) were affecting me and he actually got up out of his chair and said there, there and rubbed my back . Not a solution for me , but i was astounded he showed some compassion. He said in an ideal world i would probably be suited to hemo little and often , less hours but daily , sadly he said the NHS wont allow this. Its just another time that 'cost' comes before 'care'!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »

Hi MM, he was at his best yesterday ! Normally he is a very stiff and formal man but he could see how the treatments  (and the other problems) were affecting me and he actually got up out of his chair and said there, there and rubbed my back . Not a solution for me , but i was astounded he showed some compassion. He said in an ideal world i would probably be suited to hemo little and often , less hours but daily , sadly he said the NHS wont allow this. Its just another time that 'cost' comes before 'care'!

You got a back rub???  Oh, I'm really glad to hear that.  Now listen...I really do think that it is just a matter of time before NxStage gets up and running in the UK.  I understand the whole concept about cost coming before care because, really, that's what we have in the US.  No one really believes that 3xweek clinic sessions are the best thing for any dialysis patients, but it's what we have because of money.  Do some research on the status of NxStage in the UK; I know that living alone is an issue, but that might be overcome by the time that NxStage is fully online over there.  Please, do find out what you can and get back to us.  I could just feel it in my bones that "little and often" might suit you better.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
casper2636

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »

I am also greatly effected when it comes to dialysis treatments. I'm the one wretching in the corner, screaming with cramps, and have the headache to be the band. They did give me anti-nausea medicine, and medicine for migraines, but that really doesn't help, as they get dialysized out of me before the session is over. They also have suggested that I would do better with shorter treatments, more often, and met with the same excuse...they will not pay for it! I've almost had to wait a year to get the okay to get a new drug for my red blood cells, as I'm allergic to the epogen. I've been getting blood transfusions every month for the last year. This makes my chance for a kidney transfusion very unlikely  :'(. The insurance companies shoild no be the gate keepers to our health and well being. Maybe your neph. is realizing how sensitive your system is. My nephs. have found this out about me and are very cautious about the meds they give to me. It only took them 2 1/2 years! Please let us know how you make out.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »

Exactly...the insurance companies should NOT be the ones determining how much dialysis we get.  It IS a matter of money, unfortunately.  I really resent having to rely on some insurance underwriter to "allow" me to get any kind of treatment, procedure or prescription.

Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »

Hi!  I'm not sure if this has anything thing to do with anything, but I was getting severe headaches on my machine.  I have been on hd since May of this year.  I mean, splitting headaches, crying it hurt so bad.  The nurse on my shift told me she woudl have my technician run a saline bag through my machine before I get there.  Sometimes people have a bad reactions to the filters.  So, before I hook on, they run an entire iv bag through my machine and I haven't had anymore headaches.  It is the weirdest thing, but it worked.  Didn't know if that was something you could try. 

Good Luck!  Tracy   :cuddle;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »