I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 08:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Does anyone know what this means exactly?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does anyone know what this means exactly?  (Read 3713 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: September 10, 2010, 04:52:33 AM »

I have 2% kidney function...
What does that mean? i mean, obviously it means i have hardly any function left, what happens at 0?
I had asked the dr if we could try 3 hrs instead of 4, he said no u only have 2% left and walked away.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »

It means that you absolutely need dialysis (more not less) to clear fluid and toxins from your body.  At 2 % function your own kidneys are doing basically nothing so dialysis is what's keeping you alive and more frequent good quality dialysis will keep you feeling as well as you possibly can.  This is our reality.  If the toxins and fluid build up and up then more longer term damage can be done to your body so it's important to know and watch your blood work numbers to make sure that D, along with binders and other meds, is doing the job.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:04:27 AM »

2% IS very low. Have you had a kidney out or something? I'm at 5% (eGFR 5) but still have two kidneys doing.. not much (lazy sods!).

Yeah look if you only did 3 you'd probably not get enough dialysis and feel much worse. WHat is your clearance like? A good clearance, like 80%+ might be grounds to get some time off, but you're asking for 25% discount.... that's a big sale!!! I can see why they wouldn't give it to you. Maybe what you should do, if you're desperate to get less time on the machine (and given I do FIVE hours each shift I totally get you!!!) maybe you should try and negotiate with the neph to say take 15 mins off, see how you go for a month or two, monitor the bloods and your clearance, and see if you're still doing OK. If so, then another 10 or 15 etc, and do it that way rather than asking for such a big discount. Still if you're at GFR 2 I can see why they wouldn't want you to do any less.. you'd be needing all the help (from dialysis) you can get I think. The neph would probably, in reality, want you to do MORE rather than less D.

sorry :(

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 05:21:35 AM »

I have both kidneys in there, but the right one had shriveled up and died when i was 10 years old from a 25lb terratoma tumor removal.
perhaps this IS why i feel so miserable then, i had really thought maybe i was getting too much dialysis, seeing as i have been compliant for the first time heh
my body aches after about 3 hrs of bein on, when i get thru the 4th, its so bad, and my head hurts to the extreem

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
Restorer

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »

That happens to me when I've had too much fluid between sessions, and they need to take more off. How much do they take off during a usual session for you?

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »

usually come in about my dry weight here lately so they are just pulling min. but before it was like 3k
they arent sure what my dry weight is, and dont like to challenge because i cramp really badly if its not there. Really badly, to the point no amount of salene seems to work and they end up taking me off the machine.

HemoDialysis since 2007
Brightsky69

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »

Is there such a thing as to much dialysis?

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:27 AM »

I dont know about too much dialysis, but im beginning to think that little and often would be better (like pd) but of course that will never happen with hemo!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »

The more dialysis the better.

Remember, normal kidneys function 24/7.
8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 03:59:21 PM »

I dont know about too much dialysis, but im beginning to think that little and often would be better (like pd) but of course that will never happen with hemo!

I am pretty sure that's how NxStage works, short daily. And people on nocturnal hemo seem to feel better as it is more hours.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

usually come in about my dry weight here lately so they are just pulling min. but before it was like 3k
they arent sure what my dry weight is, and dont like to challenge because i cramp really badly if its not there. Really badly, to the point no amount of salene seems to work and they end up taking me off the machine.

I'd ask for a BVM ("crit line") to be done to better establish if you're too dry or too wet and help establish your dry weight more accurately. Of course dry weight is a moving figure. It's often easier to just leave it at a level that works for everyone though than constantly change it. For example I am pretty sure I am around 500ml over my real dry weight vs. what we're using now. Every so often I think about challenging it, but then I figure why bother. I could put that 500 on at some point, and I risk cramp much less with the way I have it now, so I just leave it. If there's no serious fluid overload happening then in a way it probably is best to leave it be. I'd rather be a bit over than cramp horribly!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »

cramping is pure evil!
id rather be over as well, but i know im losing alot of weight right now, so it scares me that i will be overload soon again, we just pulled 54 lbs off in a weekk, id rather not go thru that again either. i cant really bring myself to eat right now, and when i do i get sick or feel sick so i havent really been eating, i can tell in my face ive lost weight.
i really dont like feeling like this, its crazy some people are really active and healthy with dialysis, ive been on since 07 still really crappy

HemoDialysis since 2007
*kana*

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »

Is there such a thing as to much dialysis?

No....lol

I thought I read somewhere that dialysis only replaces like 12-17% of your function.  I could be slightly off with my numbers, but I remember it being really low and in the teens. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »