I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  EPOMAN... Promoting Transplants.. MUST READ!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EPOMAN... Promoting Transplants.. MUST READ!!  (Read 25052 times)
Panda_9

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2006, 05:56:34 AM »

I just fitted them in whenever I could, but most of the time I only did 4-5, or 6 with pretty short dwells. And what made it worse was that I had to go to bed emptyl, so that meant sitting up even longer to do the last bag. We pretty much said that it was impossible to do and thankfully I ended up with a cycler so I got to do the 6 bags on the cycler overnight.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2006, 07:13:14 AM »

No amber, I don't have kidney problems and hopefully, I never will.  I wear latex gloves to help prevent grease and grime from getting ground into my hands and under my finger nails.  The chemicals that my hands are exposed to every day, can and will cause the skin in your fingers to dry out so severely that they can crack and bleed.  Especially near the finger nails.  It can get very painful, trust me.

You can't really ware anything heavier then latex gloves most of the time because you need to be able to feel what you are handling and need to turn small nuts and bolts with your fingers to get them started.  Much harder to do when your wearing something like gardening gloves.  Although, I do wear heavier mechanics gloves over top of the latex gloves when I need to handle bulky, sharp or hot to the touch meterials.

At the garage we used to put on a coat of go jo and let it dry before working.  Made it easier to remove grease from the hands and nails at the end of the day when washing up.
sandman

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2006, 05:05:25 PM »

sandmansa, surely you could find some cotton lined type glove that aren't too thick? Are rubber washing up gloves too thick?

Are you referring to like those dish washing gloves?  Yes, those are to thick and bulky to handle threading in bolts in to tight, greasy areas.  BUT, are great for use in a parts washing bins or sinks.  ;D
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2006, 08:22:48 PM »

I personally wash my hands alot, carry hand sanitizer, and have a push pump bottle of alcohol in the shop.  Whenever I'm out and about and touching anything I visit that bottle, douse a paper towel in alcohol, and get clean.  No matter how careful we are it is still possible to contract a virus.  We were on a trip in June where everyone was required to use hand sanitizer on entry to the dining rooms.  When we ate at a buffet I would use it on the way in and after bringing the plate back to the table before eating.  On that trip the Norwalk virus was making the rounds of other guests and I think somthing like 130 people finally reported it.  Anyway I was one of the people who became a lucky recipient.  I spent all of 3 days either on my back or in the bathroom and afterwards had intermittant problems for another 10 days after we got back.  Honestly being sick and dehydrated like that really scares me when it comes to the kidney.  I may be full of hot air but it seems a time like that might be a ripe time for rejection.  Anyway there were no lasting effects thank goodness, my last labs were excellent. 
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2006, 08:41:03 PM »

...  I spent all of 3 days either on my back or in the bathroom and afterwards had intermittant problems for another 10 days after we got back.  Honestly being sick and dehydrated like that really scares me when it comes to the kidney.  I may be full of hot air but it seems a time like that might be a ripe time for rejection.  Anyway there were no lasting effects thank goodness, my last labs were excellent. 

:o  Now that is scary!! :o  Glad the labs were OK  :)

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Panda_9

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2006, 08:50:37 PM »

If u are so sick that your dehydrated you probly should go and get some IV fluids to keep the kidney nice and flushed. Unfortunately you can still catch viruses via the air, and unless you want to wear a mask theres not much you can do. Buffets are probly pretty bad for catching things. I do love a good buffet.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »

:bump;
Old thread but some great conversation going on!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2010, 12:29:18 PM »

Good conversations.
Miss you Epoman!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2010, 04:28:21 PM »

I was told a  buffet or salad bar was a no-no for quite some time after transplant.   I'd rather not take any chances.

My daugher in law got me several types of hand sanitizers with moisturizers from the Dollar Tree.  They seem to work better than plan sanitizers without moisturizers and my hands aren't drying out.

Good thread to bring back, Okarol    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »