I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 06:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Undercover Boss
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Undercover Boss  (Read 4415 times)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« on: September 12, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »

I just watched an episode of Undercover Boss.  I thought, wow...this is inspirational.  They had Walter:
Day Two of the Undercover Boss  experiment finds Larry working at a landfill in Florida for an elderly African-American gentleman named Walter. Larry’s task for the day? Pick up litter on the side of a hill, inmate-style. Larry asks Walter for a technique. Walter is not amused by Larry’s questions. He assures the camera that picking up paper is not rocket science. Thanks for clarifying that, Walter.

While at lunch, Walter tells Larry a bit more about his life. He’s lost the function in his kidneys and has been on dialysis for nearly 20 years. Due to his own health-related limitations, Walter doesn’t have a lot of patience for Larry’s poor work performance. Once they’re through with lunch, Walter times Larry to see how much trash he can collect in ten minutes. The strong winds are not working in Larry’s favor and at the end of his timed test, Larry gets fired by Walter. Larry tells the camera, “Walter is the only person who has ever fired me in my whole career.” Apparently Larry is capable of running a multi-billion dollar company, but picking up paper is not really his strong suit.

The end has Walter becoming a health mentor for the entire company. Then the screen turns to black and they put up a dedication to Walter.  He passed away. 

Devastating.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:03:47 PM by YLGuy » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »

Could you tell me more about how exactly Walter was a "health mentor" at his company?  Did the show going into much detail about this?

Twenty years on dialysis... Man.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »

I saw that some months ago....but it did not have that he died...I wonder if they re-ran it because he died? He was going to other branches and giving motivational talks and such.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »

Our own Zach has been on the machine 28 years.

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »

I have watched that program but missed that episode. The last one I saw was the "Hooters" one lol. That is freaky whe they do they suprise dedications like that. I'll bet it was a re run too. I hope I can see again. 28 years for Zach.  That to me is amazing but I know that probably many people are living a good quality of life for many years on dialysis.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 06:56:16 AM »

Walter passed away on August 30th 2010 from complications during a back surgery. During surgery Walter unfortunately went into cardiac arrest and was unable to be resuscitated.

RIP

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »

I have this episode on the dvr, but haven't watched it yet.  There was a lady on the 7-11 episode who was on dialysis too.  They started an organ donor awareness program at 7-11 because of this woman

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:34 AM »

I don't work.  These people are making me look bad!

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:52 AM »

What would we do without our Zach. He is the Charles Krauthammer of IHD, always there with the correct info. Thanks Zach for bein and IHD member.   :beer1;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »

I saw that dedication too last night and was surpised.Thanks Zach for letting us know a little more info about why.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »