I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 10:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  some numbers i wrote down hoping someone can explain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: some numbers i wrote down hoping someone can explain  (Read 4872 times)
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »

Ok, hubby had a new tech yesterday, and they had a note on his machine with these #'s on it.  I understand some but wondering if they can be explained better to me.   Thanks if you can help

Rena 4 (and a little o above it) T 3->
3K 2.5 na 140  (Potassium wash?)
35 bicanb
400/800
a O with a line through it and hep (no heperin for him im guessing)
LFA AVF #15

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 06:44:59 AM »

Rena 4 (and a little o above it) T 3->
3K 2.5 na 140  (Potassium wash?)
35 bicanb
400/800
a O with a line through it and hep (no heperin for him im guessing)
LFA AVF #15
I'll guess at some of this:

400 is a typical value for the microfiltration (uF) rate.
800 is a typical value for the dialysate flow rate.

I think you're right that the 2.5 is the potassium ion level.  (The chemical symbol for potassium is K.)
140 is the sodium ion level.  (the chemical symbol for sodium ion is "Na+")
35 is a typical value for the bicarbonate (bicarb) level.

These values are all set so as to balance your hubby's blood electrolyte and acidity (pH) levels. 

The last line refers to 15 gauge needles.  Your hubby has a fistula, yes?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:48:19 AM by RightSide » Logged
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 06:49:04 AM »

OK, I'll take a shot at it.

Rena 4 (and a little o above it) T 3->        //Not sure what this is.
3K 2.5 na 140  (Potassium wash?)         // 3kg max UF?  or maybe 2.5 potassium/ sodium 140?
35 bicanb                    // bicarbonate
400/800                     // 400 blood flow with 800 dialysate flow
a O with a line through it and hep (no heperin for him im guessing)      // dunno.
LFA AVF #15              // Dunno this one either.      ETA - Yeah, RightSide is right on this...AVF = Arterio-Venous Fistula with 15guage needle.
                                // LFA = Left Forearm Access?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:52:38 AM by RenalSurvivorDotCA » Logged

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:50:23 AM »

hehe......ok now, what does all this stuff mean to "us"?  as in, does he have a mild case of renial failure,(is that even something that happens?).  is he on mega wash (i think i understand his is very minimal actually)  etc,,,,,   Is he at the beginning side of treatments that will progress?  I tell ya, i think i've dug into so much info on his disease, but not on what *they're* doing to/for him. Yes, i stilllllllllllllllllllll am in denial that he hasnt bounced back to his 'pre' dialysis stage so am wondering just how agressive are his treatments, or are they just minimal... Am i making ANY SENCE?  Im not sure if i am even to myself..lol

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:10:32 PM »

The "3K" line refers to the dialysate bath being used - I think anyway. A 3K (or K3 as they would call it here) takes the least amount of potassium out, and would be used for someone with lower potassium levels. A person with normal potassium levels(normal for ESRD anyway so in the 2.2-2.5 range) would have a 2K(or K2) bath, and higher potassium folks get a 1K bath, which takes the most potassium out. There are different "baths" for different requirements, ie higher or lower calcium, potassium & sodium. The particular bath being used can be changed to better manage each particular patient.

Just my 2 cents.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »

hehe......ok now, what does all this stuff mean to "us"?
Nothing.   ;D

The severity of renal disease is measured by Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR), for which the blood creatinine clearance acts as a marker.  Your husband can ask his neph for those values.

Electrolyte levels in the blood are, of course, affected by diet.  (Eat something salty and your blood sodium level rises quickly.)  So they wouldn't make as good markers of renal function as GFR.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:54:20 AM »

hehe......ok now, what does all this stuff mean to "us"?  as in, does he have a mild case of renial failure,(is that even something that happens?).  is he on mega wash (i think i understand his is very minimal actually)  etc,,,,,   Is he at the beginning side of treatments that will progress?  I tell ya, i think i've dug into so much info on his disease, but not on what *they're* doing to/for him. Yes, i stilllllllllllllllllllll am in denial that he hasnt bounced back to his 'pre' dialysis stage so am wondering just how agressive are his treatments, or are they just minimal... Am i making ANY SENCE?  Im not sure if i am even to myself..lol

I am going to try to help.
Dialysis only replaces about 6% of the "real" kidney's function. This means that they keep you from death's door only just.(read this somewhere)  Real kidneys are obviously best that is why so many people opt for a transplant, it is closer to the real thing. Every person's machine is set to his own requirements depending on his bloodtest. It is not that you are sicker or better than the person next to you, it caters for your (his) needs. Some people have problems with potassium, other don't. Some have problems with sodium and so on and so on. By using diffirent fluid (dialysite) and filters they ensure that they meet his specific needs.
The things they wrote on his "screen" is just a summary of his machine settings.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 07:48:05 AM »

the head nurse at my unit just happened to have me on Wednesday, and I asked her about some of it, and I think she had fun explaining it to me.. *L*  she showed me a dialyzer that had been cut in half so you could see what was inside.  It was actually really neat to see.  it's full of these fibers, I think she said there were 500,000 of them, and your blood runs through these, and the fluid flows around these fibers, and depending on the strength, the fluid will pull molecules of the toxins out and wash it away. It was quite fascinating.  She turned the machine so I could watch it, too, which was cool.  I could see when the pressures were going up and down, although, they didn't vary that much.

I like learning how things work.  I think it's part of being a gadget nut.. *G*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
casper2636

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:55:09 PM »

I'm getting an extra protein pack along with each treatment. Now I am low in phosphorus, and sodium,
mogee

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:54:33 AM »

You should have a good talk with his nephrologist if you can.  The machine numbers are unrelated to the health of your husband, but you are obviously anxious to know more than you've already learned.  Try to get information about both your husband and the dialysis process from the nursing staff.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

Thanks so much to ALL!  Amazing group we have here...  Im always asking the dr's/tecs/patients questions about everything and just always think that some sneekie way i'll learn something theire not telling me.  (ie,,,wondering if the settings on the machine were gonna give me some secret info..lol) 

RightSide.... i thought (someone said) that once your ON dialysis, the GFR doesnt count as important as it did "pre" dialysis.. Is that so??

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »

RightSide.... i thought (someone said) that once your ON dialysis, the GFR doesnt count as important as it did "pre" dialysis.. Is that so??
I don't know what they meant by that.

Once your GFR falls below 15, and you've got chronic kidney disease, you have to begin renal replacement therapy--dialysis or kidney transplant.  That's the major decision you have to make when your GFR falls that low.

But a GFR of 14 is still not zero.  My GFR is 13, meaning that I still have a bit of residual kidney function left.  And sure enough, my kidneys still make urine, which makes dealing with fluid balance a whole lot easier.

Finally, on rare occasions the kidneys can recover even from chronic ESRD.  We've had one or two such cases right here on IHD.  So it's important to monitor kidney function while on dialysis, to see if that GFR number is rising or falling.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:02:53 PM »

thanks so much RightSide, .....so, for starters, i do want to have done a 24hr urine collection, and im going to look up those tests and request them as well.  We do have a monthly report card at his unit, and,,,,i also ask for the WHOLE report on all his blood work done there not just the "report card" stuff.  I didnt even realize i hadnt got these for at least 4 months now, so going to get with that request once again.  Does anyone think that getting them from your unit, AND also having them done at labs outside of unit is a good idea, or am i being repetitive and having him poked unnecessarly??  thanks a bunch...

mogee

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »

After a while you will recognize which numbers are important.  I just glance at most numbers from time to time because they don't change much.  I scrutinize my hemoglobin and iron numbers closely because I tend to make an excess of red cells.  To appreciate the test results, first become familiar with the normal range for each type of test, and what happens when you are out-of-range.

I don't know what you mean about having blood tests performed by a second lab.  The only tests that count are the ones used by the treatment team.  Dialysis cannot be used a treatment without regular blood checks.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »