I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:23:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  New Fistula ...nedd some advice please guys?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Fistula ...nedd some advice please guys?  (Read 3307 times)
clappedout

« on: November 05, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »

Well a happy November to all our readers lol..hope your year has gone well ...sofar..

Having been on CAPD since January and have had NO infections...I have had an AV Fistula in..(2 weeks ago) and this may sound strange but I cant wait to get this flipping tube outta my abdomen. I know they say it gives you flexibility...but it dont in some cases..take me for example.
Initially on 2 green and 2 yelllow per day and after my PET test, it was announced that I was a low transporter but with a problem that my night bag was all but absorbed...weight went up and fluids were leaking from everywhere. Soooo put on 2 green and 1 yellow with a dry night..however this is now making me feel quite yuk! as my dialysis is not as intense.
On the plus side you can play the dialysis card when visiting lol!

Now i have had a Fistula put in and I cant wait to get this tube out...I already said that !!!..2 weeks ago had the Op for the Fistula...got the standard infection but you can hear it whooshing away but there is no sign of balloning...how long does this take ??..will I have to wait months and months ???
I know I'm having a winge but I am worried that the Fistula is not working and to wait for another 5 months for an op is heart breaking..sorry  :'(
Any of you guys out there had a similar problem or can you advise me on how the fistula develops

Thanks

Steve C
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:46:35 AM »

I can't advise you at all, but I feel your worry and uncertainty  :(
Hope others will have some good advice for you soon, in the meantime take this: 
 :cuddle;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
carol1987

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »

When you heal from the OP the Doctor will probably give you some exercises to help develop the Fistula....

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:46:55 PM »

I was given a stress ball shaped like a kidney. I thought it was incredibly funny, but it did help develop the fistula.  It was 2 months before they could use it, and now, a year after having it put in, it's still developing.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »

You can tell immediately after the operation if you fistula is working...you can feel the buzz...as long as you can feel that you have no problems. Sometimes you will get an infection at the site and you may get an anti-biotic. Then it becomes a question of developing the fistula and this takes a couple months, during which time you squeeze a rubber ball, sometimes with a tourniquet on your upper arm.
After it has developed a little they sometimes do a scan to make sure everything is in place and sometimes you get a scan before your first dialysis session so that they can locate where they will establish access sites.
If it is any help to you there are quite a few who find HD a better alternative to PD...I'm one of them.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »

Did they give you a stethoscope?   If they didn't, get to the pharmacy and get the best one you can afford.  You'll be able to hear it.  You may be able to feel it, too - depending on how sensitive your arm is still from the surgery.  (Pressing down even a little bit may not be a good idea right now!)  Use it every day, at least twice a day to check on it and make sure it is still going.  If it does clot, the sooner you know, the sooner it gets treated, and the better the chance of saving it from the clot.

Generally, a natural fistula will take at least a month to mature, maybe longer.  If you had an infection, they aren't going to rush it.  The connection between the artery and vein take a while to grow strong enough to hold up to the pressure from the D machine.  You don't want to rush it - if they use it too soon, they can kill it, and then you have to start over.

I don't understand what you mean by there not being any sign of ballooning.  If a fistula narrows or clots, then the doc uses a tiny balloon to widen it back out to keep the fistula going.  This is commonly referred to as a fistulagram.  (Or a roto-rootering, depending on your sense of humor.)

And yes, you need to exercise it with a stress ball.  Also, try not to put pressure on it that might cut off the circulation.  No heavy bag straps across it, etc.  Try not to sleep on it, either if you can.  (Hard to control, but at least start out in that position.) Never let anyone take a blood pressure on it.  Ever!  If you have to go into the hospital, write NO Blood Pressures or Blood Draws on your arm in big letters.  You may laugh, but some nurses are idiots.  This is your life line, and spots to put new fistulas are limited, so don't let anyone screw it up!

Hang in there.  The wait may seem long, but better to go slow and do it right.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:46:03 AM »

If it is any help to you there are quite a few who find HD a better alternative to PD...I'm one of them.
Gregory too, much preferred HD to PD

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
clappedout

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:47:07 PM »

Thanks guys...feel much better now..it seems to be "buzzing away quite nicely" will keep you informed..and may I say what a gracious and kind group you all are

much love

steve c
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »