I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 04:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  I need some advice on adjusting to PD
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need some advice on adjusting to PD  (Read 8667 times)
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 01:51:08 AM »

Eek, how do you know about the catheter? Uncomfortable?

I wonder if the whole trouble with drain pain is the design of the catheter..

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
loopywinks

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »

I hope that your pain resolves soon!!

I have been on PD since March of this year and currently on the cycler at night.  When I fully drain, I get the awful drain pain more often than not.  It feels like there is a garden hose crimping up inside me and it does not stop hurting until the drain is over and it magically goes away. It is always on my right side.  I sort of prepare for it if I can and pray that my session will end quickly.

Some mornings are better than others, but I think I can count on one hand the mornings that I have slept through the cycler all night.

I never had the catheter moved around or looked at. My PD nurse has just tried to adjust the tidal settings.  It does not help the final drain in the morning, however.

Best of luck to you!!
Tracy (aka Loopywinks)
adairpete

Me and Karl

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 01:20:11 PM »

I've been doing CAPD for about a month now and I don't know how much help I can be, but I'll try.  I've noticed a couple things about drain/fill pain.  I usually get drain pain at the end when I'm "dry" and the catheter feels like it's pinching things in there.  This goes away when I start to fill.  I get fill pain when the solution is too cold or the bag is too high and it's filling too fast.  Body temp bags (warmed at least 24 hours on the lowest setting of the heating pad) work best.  Also, I open the fill setting to the fastest fill but lower the IV pole so the top of the bag is about a foot over my head and this seems to work best for the least amount of fill pain but still fill quickly (15 min for 1.5L).  Hope you get some relief!

Diagnosis: distal renal tubular acidosis with medullary sponge kidney
3/4/2010 started hemo via sub-clavian catheter
6/15/2010 listed for kidney (on hold)
8/2/2010 started CAPD
3/20/12 on active wait list for kidney
clappedout

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 03:41:54 AM »

Hi Quickfeet

This may not help but try a cold bag..I started PD in Jan this year and had pain problems just like yours. I had to go to see my new grandaughter in Feb and forgot the bag warmer so I did an exchange cold....never looked back since. Still get the drain pain a little but I suppose thats what the bottom of a milkshake feels like being sucked dry LOl

Hope it go's away soon ..the pain I mean
KathyT1311

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 07:14:43 PM »

Is there any way you can get a new nurse? ( I know...) I had pain for a while during the day. My body is just now getting used to it.  Things need to stretch out to make room for the fluid. That being said....have you been checked to see if you may have an air bubble? I had severe pain, was told to go to the ER and wound up having an air pocket in my upper abdomin. Guess I didn't get all the air out one time.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

oh ya.... omg dont forget to do the air drain! I did that ONCE and omg. I thought i was going to die! It hurt really bad, and didnt stop for about a week

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »

Here is my new system. I've gotten rid of about 80% of the pain. I now always start with a warm bag. As soon as the drain pain starts I flip to flush. Then I set it to medium flow. The biggest mistake I made was trying to drain for too long. I thought it was really important to get every drop out. The suction was irritating my insides and so when I filled with the fluid it would hurt like crazy.

Forget water boarding, make the terrorists do dialysis. Then they will start talking.
traceyls

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2010, 07:20:45 PM »

I don't have drain pain, but I did get sick during my manual fills if ate before a treatment.  I filled me up to quick and while I was doing my treatment I would get sick.  I slowed the flow down to the lowest, it took longer to fill but I felt better.  Also, I ate after my  treatments.  That helped a lot too.  I'm on the cycler now and I never feel sick. I hope this will help.
Tracey
VintageVera

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

HELLO: I am on the machine every night and it works well for me. Right after I hook up, there's some drain pain which goes away when I move around or dance. I HATED manual dialysis which I had to learn and get through before I was allowed to get the machine. I also couldn't tolerate the too-full feeling of manual exchanges which I no longer have with the machine so that's my experience and my recommendation.  The bad thing about the machine is that I don't achieve complete sleep and have to sleep for anoter couple hours after disengaging. Hope that things become easier for you soon. VERA 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »