I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:22:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hopefully I have a solution to my body/joint pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hopefully I have a solution to my body/joint pain  (Read 3361 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: June 02, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »

I saw my doctor today and he told me to stop my Pravachol (cholesterol) medication.  Apparently, that can do a number on your muscles and joints.  I never put the two together, but my body/joint aches really started in March or so and that's when I started the Pravachol.  He said I should feel a difference by Friday.  Fingers crossed!  If I can get all this pain under control hopefully I can begin a regular exercise regimen.  Either way, I will have to be placed on a new med, but the meds I was on before the Pravachol did not effect me this way and my cholesterol was fine then.  Positive thoughts everyone!!!  I'll let you know!

Thankfully he does not think it's the Prograf.  That's working  well, plus I have a lot of Prograf stocked up and would hate to lose it, as it's so darn expensive.   :pray;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:08:39 PM »

will be going to the Dr next monday for the same thing.Hope he finds something simple like he did you.Hope the pain eases up for you.Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »

Oh, Kelly, what wonderful news! :yahoo; Of course I am thinking of you and hoping for the best. :flower;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »

So many pills, so many side effects.  It's a wonder we can ever get it all figured out! Hope this is the solution you have been looking for.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »

yes, lots of medications, all with different side effects.  It's tough.

Good luck at your doctor appt, Chris.  When the pain just comes from out of the blue it has to be related to something.   My back pain won't go away 100%, as I've had that for a while, but the Pravachol might be making it worse.  It was never this bad before.  I googled side effects and apparently lower back pain is reported with some people.  Knees, elbows, forearms... I have ALL that!!!  Feet, too!

Cariad, I was going to send you a message.  Thanks.  I hope he's right!!!  How is your pain?

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:05:18 AM »

Good to hear Kelly. Hope this is the right answer for you.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »

Cariad, I was going to send you a message.  Thanks.  I hope he's right!!!  How is your pain?

Thanks for asking, Kelly. Much improved. Still there, especially in the mornings, but I think keeping as active as possible helps. Tylenol helps, but I try to only take it when the pain gets to the point where it is stopping me from doing something I want to do. I am thinking of taking up yoga - stretch the muscles, not hard on the joints, and a bit of exercise I desperately need!

I'll be hoping to read your update that the med switch worked. :bestwishes;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »

My  husband has had the same problem with cholesterol tablets , he has been taking them for about 2 years., I have read an awful lot about them, I have had friends who's husband/wife have had to come off them because of joint pains. A few months ago my husband  told his neph about the aches and pains he was having,  in his joints and mussels and they came to an agreement. his bloods had just been taken and his cholesterol was really low so for a month he stopped taking them and what do you know the following month when he had his bloods taken the cholesterol had gone sky high. What do you do, suffer joint pains and keep the cholesterol low or stop taking them and risk a heart attack. What is the answere, he went back onto the tablets.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »

I know.  It's difficult.  But I will go back on medication, just not the Pravachol.  Before transplant, and even for a year after transplant, I was on Zetia and Zocor (individually) and I didn't have these problems.  I had been on them for a while.  We'll just have to find something else.  The pain is unbarable at times.  Plus, everytime I bend over I strain my hemstrings.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 12:08:20 AM »

I take Simvastatin and Fenofibrate for the cholesterol. The Simvastatin was tough to get used to, as it makes my hands tremble and my legs got very weak.  But, no pain from either one of them.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:28:02 AM »

Well Kelly it's after Friday. How is your pain now? any better.. hope so!!!!

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »

Yes!   :2thumbsup;   My feet are better (still a little sore, but I'm not in nearly the amount of pain as I was), my fingers are not swollen and sore and my elbows  and shoulders feel better.  Oh, and my knees.  Now, my back is still super stiff and painful in the morning, but I didn't really think that was related to the meds.  Once it's massaged for a few minutes it loosens up.  I really need to go for a professional massage to really work it out.   For the last two days (Thurs and Fri) I started having this random pain in my right hemstring.  I thought I pulled/strained it, but it would come and go.  I actually think it was spasming, maybe due to stopping the medication.  I don't know.  So far today, no spasms.

I'll be calling my doctor Monday and leaving a message for him letting him know it appeared to have worked.  Now we have to get on something else for cholesterol.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »