I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  This is making me mad!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is making me mad!  (Read 2593 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: June 05, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »

:banghead;     For the second time this week on my morning dose of Prograf one of those tiny little capsules has stuck in the pill box and I didn't notice!!!!!  I just now saw that one was still in the box from this morning.  arrrgh!     :banghead;    I need to be more careful.  Those are the smallest and lightest capsules I have ever seen.  I went ahead and took the capsule with my evening dose of BP med.  I was going to wait and take it with my 9 p.m. dose of Prograf, but just took it now.  Do you think that's okay?  My last level was done on the 27th and my Prograf level was 7.8.   Just a reminder I take 2 mg at 9 a.m. and 2 mg at 9 p.m. and about two weeks ago they switched me to 2/2 from 3/2.  Any advice?

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:23:29 PM »

That's happened to me too Kelly!  I wouldn't worry too much...lesson learned, just remember to check every time from now on.  A small blip is very different than consistent inconsistency.  Relax.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »

Gregory occasionally doesn't take his morning tablets and goes to work.  He takes them when he gets home.  He doesn't do it often.  It seems to be fine.  Sometimes he feels the lack, and lies down a little while after taking the catch up tablets.  As Monrein says, you can probably relax.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:13:02 PM »

I would feel worse if I missed an entire dose, but just missing 1 and then taking it later seems ok.  I was taking 3/2, so I just pretent (for the night) that I'm taking 1/3.   ha ha  But it just makes me mad.  Since transplant I usually pour them into my hand and I literally count them and say "prograf, prograf, cellcept, cellcept, pepcid, acyclovire", but I guess I'm starting to just pour them out and pop them in.  I need to go back to my old ways.  No, I know what it is.  At my 9 a.m. dose I'm usually just getting up and the room is dark.  I need to just sit up completely and turn on a light to take them.  I'm usually up late, so I sleep until my medication alarm goes off.

I was told something like "If you miss an entire dose, say your a.m. dose, and you remember within 6 hours just take it.  But if it's more than 6 hours you have to double up" or something.  Can someone confirm?  I think I heard this here, too.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »

My team said take a missed dose within 4 hours, or just skip entirely and resume regular dosing schedule.  Don't double doses ever. 

I missed my morning meds for the first time ever today.  I'm soooo ticked at myself, even if running on 3 hours of sleep today after spending all night dealing with a family crisis is a reasonable excuse.  Phooey.  Off to bed to do better tomorrow.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:55:08 PM »

:cuddle;  jbeany.   Thanks for clarifying the missed dose thing.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »

Kelly that happens to me too with the Prograf in my pill container that is also white. Sometimes they stick to the bottom for some reason. The one bad thing I have done was to have my pill container in the kitched on a glass cutting board while cleaning the kitchen and then move the cutting board under running water to get loose dirt off before washing it and forgetting my pills are on there. That ruined a whole days worth of pills even with the tops closed and it was hard to clean out with damp meds and OTC meds.

The way I was told about missing a dose is to take it immediately unless next dose is due soon. There was a reason I was told, but have forgotten it. I should reread my transplant binder given to see if it is in there.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:59:27 PM »

This has happened to me twice already and I've only been on Prograf 2 months.

It actually occurred in a slightly worse way. I take the lemon yellow capsules with the orange script, about the size of a grain of rice. I tip my meds out into my hand and take the lot all at once. I did this one day, took a shower, came out of the shower, sat on the side of the bed, looked down and saw a capsule on the carpet. Uh, was that from  just now, two days ago, a month ago? ??? I decided I shouldn't take the capsule because I could not be sure it was from my latest dose, so I put it back in the meds box and within a week my Prograf dose was raised, only to be lowered a couple weeks later. This happened one other time, but thankfully I was in a room where I never take meds and was almost one hundred percent certain that it was from my latest dose. I think what happens is that the capsules are so light and have a certain static electricity that sticks them to the plastic of a pill box or a hand. It is annoying and I rarely remember to check to for stragglers.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »

I lost my pill container with pills on the train, dropped a pill while at my doctors office and nowhere near home also. Due to pets, any pill that falls on the floor I throw out due to possible contamination from hair.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »

I keep extra Prograf in my purse just for that reason.  The one thing I like about the small capsule and it's light weight is that a couple of times I've been caught in the car when my alarm goes off and I have nothing to drink and no possible drink in the very near future.  They are easy to swallow if you can get enough spit in your mouth.  :D  It's gross, but sometimes necessary.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 11:33:57 PM »

Kelly that is how the doctors wanted me to take my pills the day of my knee surgery, dry, just use saliva. However that is hard to do if the pills are tablets and not capsules.

The next day was a problem though. I took my pills in bed and when I got up after an hour, I ended up  :puke;  and don't know if my pills came up too sinc I couldn't see due to severe watery eyes and the need to just lay back down. I didn't take another set of meds till my next dose was due in the pm. Wasn't sure what to do, so played it safe and acted like they did make it down in time to work. Something that has never happened to me before, you?

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010