I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:21:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  On the list or not?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On the list or not?  (Read 2452 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: June 19, 2010, 07:33:53 PM »

To those of you who are on the UNOS list, how were you notified?

I had my pre-transplant evaluation mid Feb, and by the end of March, I had all of my tests done.  Then one day, the coordinator called me and told me that their nephrologist wanted me to do more stuff.  I have done everything required; it took almost 3 months to complete everything, but I did it.  I know that the transplant team meets every month on the 15th and again on the 30th, so I was sorta expecting something this past week, but I haven't heard a thing from anyone.  Maybe they just missed the deadline and will present my case on the 30th; I don't know.  When you were listed, how did you find out?  Did the coordinator call you and then you get a letter confirming it?  Once you have been notified, what's the very next thing that happens?

I could call or email the coordinator, I know, but I am not in the mood for disappointments.  Right now, I can be a little happy knowing that I've done everything I've needed to do.

Any thoughts?  Thanks so much.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:12:43 PM »

If you have insurance that will pay for this centre, meet their lifestyle and BMI requirements, and you came through all of their tests without unearthing any issues, then you will be listed. It would be nice if the coordinator would call, but I heard three out of four times via letter. The only reason why Northwestern's coordinator told me by phone was because they were poodling about over whether I needed this final blood test or not. The coordinator called to inform me I could cancel the final draw and gave me my date for listing. Me, I detest the beauty pageant feel to listing, and don't play. It should not be a big secret or surprise whether and when they are listing you - I should think a call to your coordinator is in order, even though I'm with you, not the most fun experience usually. They may just come up with another surprise test for you. Northwestern did this to me TWICE.

After you receive confirmation, you immediately jump onto IHD and tell us so we can congratulate you. :laugh: Next you must try to forget that you are in this position, and go enjoy your life. If you've been meaning to get a more reliable mobile or landline, now might be the time to do it....

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »

After waiting and waiting to hear the first time, I learned that sometimes things happen and your case can get delayed (in Jenna's case they had staffing changes so her file sat for 3 months on someone's desk.) So now I know to call and ask for the status, and I would say i just want to make sure I've done all that is required.  :twocents;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:59 PM »

When I completed the last task, I sent an email to the coordinator telling her this fact and that if they needed more information to please let me know.  I have always emailed her with details about every appt I had and every other piece of info I could think of.  I wanted to appear "helpful and informative" without seeming too pushy.

I KNOW I meet their lifestyle/BMI requirements, and I've already checked my insurance, which is in order.

I think I will give it another week or so.  I'm rather enjoying these few weeks where I don't have some big awful thing in my immediate future.  I will just choose to believe that no news is good news.  These past few months have been really awful, but it is summer now and I'm going to enjoy it.  I may be on dialysis next summer for all I know.  I am working really hard to change my mindset, trying to live more in the moment than in the scary future. 

Thanks for the info!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 11:19:04 PM »

Only thing I can remember on being notified was being called first that I was on the list by the transplant center and then recieving a leter from them. I can not remember if I was notified by UNOS or not. Never thought about saving those letters, but thee are a lot of things I wish I did pre and post transplant for record keeping.

However from my experience is to make sure monthly labs are done and sent in. I made the mistake of trusting my dialysis unit was taking my monthly labs along with my normal blood work. No one asked me why they weren't getting the tubes anymore or said a thing. In the end I found out I was taken off the list by mistake from UNOS because of another person with the same name. I found this out when my transplant center called me asking if I had gotten a transplant and the investigation began.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
BASSMAN

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »

After waiting and waiting to hear the first time, I learned that sometimes things happen and your case can get delayed (in Jenna's case they had staffing changes so her file sat for 3 months on someone's desk.) So now I know to call and ask for the status, and I would say i just want to make sure I've done all that is required.  :twocents;

I had a similar situation and was shy about calling.  After a PM with Karol I called the transplant center and my Neph had dropped the ball.  That got things going.  I received a confirmation letter one week after completing my evaluation.

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »

I found out I was listed with a phone call from the coordinator and then a follow up letter confirming.
I now get calls about every three months wherein they ask for my health status and whether any insurance or living circumstances have changed.
They get copies of my blood draws from my local lab. Since I am currently inactive, I don't send a blood sample direct to them. When I am active, less than 14% GFR consistantly, then they send me a blood vial kit which I have drawn monthly at local labs and send to them via the mail. I can call them anytime should I have questions and they usually get back to me within a couple days.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »

When I completed the last task, I sent an email to the coordinator telling her this fact and that if they needed more information to please let me know.  I have always emailed her with details about every appt I had and every other piece of info I could think of.  I wanted to appear "helpful and informative" without seeming too pushy.

Don't worry about being pushy, or even seeming so. I once shouted down the phone at my coordinator "If they're not going to include me in the trial, tell me, and I will get a standard transplant AT ANOTHER CENTRE." I was in my car, outside my son's soccer practice, handed the mobile over to my husband, jumped out and slammed the door in a rage. This was around 5:30 on a Thursday evening. At 8AM the next morning, Gwyn received a call from the surgeon with a lengthy explanation of where everything stood at that time. It is your life. Wait as long as you like, but do not wait one moment for their benefit.

I am working really hard to change my mindset, trying to live more in the moment than in the scary future. 

Fabulous, MM. You've come a long way. :2thumbsup;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »

If I haven't heard anything by the 30th, which is the next meeting of the transplant evaluation team, I will call for an update.  I just found out that my 81 year old mother is in the hospital with an infection.  She has been on dialysis herself for about 5 years.  She has been making plans at last to move from Houston to Palm Desert where she is going to live in a assisted living community which truly is like a resort.  She should have done it several years ago, but tearing herself away from Texas was a process that, I suppose, couldn't be rushed.  She's slated to move on 24 July, and I would so hate for something awful to happen to her before she finally got a bit of her life back.  I just don't have a good feeling about this, so the transplant stuff isn't really an issue for me at this particular time.

So much for living in the moment...  The future just got scarier.  Silly me for having let my guard down for even a day.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:11 AM »

Yikes, MM, I'm so sorry. :cuddle; Best wishes to you and your mother.

:secret; (Please don't let this set you back in terms of your progress. I can imagine this is terrifying, but if worry prevented bad things happening, my first transplant would have lasted a lifetime.)  :grouphug;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »