I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 09:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  To transplant or not?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To transplant or not?  (Read 1743 times)
grannysgirl

Why Am I still here? Cause God says so!

« on: May 04, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

The transplant center notified me yesterday that I am finally on the waiting list with some conditions that have to be met first. I had stents inserted in January. I had teeth extracted and now before they will not transplant until I have  repeated cardiac cath. Well, I already know the end result of this one. They only stented one blockage and they will not touch me until they stent two more blockages. I understand but this is depressing. And if I reach 70 yrs old first they will not transplant. :rant;  I think I should research others ways to survive. >:( I only have to wait 3 to 5 yrs. I did have a live donor but she changed her mind.  :( oh I forgot the most important change needed. I have a cath. I need to get a fistula.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 05:08:02 PM by grannysgirl » Logged

Duchess of VA
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:08:32 AM »

I'm not sure if you're actually asking for an opinion or not  ??? but I'll offer my two cents anyway, because I'm nice like that, and my fingers need the exercise :)

This is such a personal decision it's very hard to even know what to suggest. I guess all I can say is that if you meet the conditions they are asking for, it's going to improve your physical condition anyway I should think, so I see no reason to not do that stuff just for yourself. If/when they call with an offer, you can still say no if you decide you're not ready, or have changed your mind. It is probably a good thing to have that opinion there.

I know you said they won't transplant post 70, and I'm not sure how old you are, but I will assume from the context that you're headed there. Yes, that is definitely an issue to consider as well... plus your current quality of life (are you happy with dialysis? does it give you the freedom you want/need?).

Nobody but you can answer these questions in terms of the potential benefits to you, vs the cost (and going through a major operation like that). It would probably be worth sitting with your neph and discussing these thoughts with them to get their perspective and making an informed judgement.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »

Welcome to our community.  I can't help you with your question since transplant is not an option for me right now.  But my thoughts are with you and you have come to a place where many will give you advice and support.  Think of IHD as your family :grouphug; caring and sharing.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »

Just a note to say I moved this topic from the Introducions section to the Transplant section as it's a very worthy topic for this area, as well as an introduction.

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »