I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 07:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  From a donor's perspective - 33 years later
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From a donor's perspective - 33 years later  (Read 1593 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: April 23, 2010, 10:01:52 PM »

33 year kidney transplant - this is a note I received from the donor, Kathleen Mahoney:

I donated my kidney to my brother almost 33 years ago.  He was 14 and I was 20.  It was my first really grown up decision.  In 1977, I was all alone in this decision...no support groups, no internet, not a single person that had experienced a transplant that I could tap into their experience.  All that being said, I can say that it was the best experience of my life.  In the end, it was my decision and mine alone.  We found out when he was 13 that his kidneys had stopped growing.  They did not know why.  But as he grew, the kidneys could not handle the capacity, so in January, 1977, they put him on dialysis.  The dialysis combined with the steroids taken after the transplant have wreaked havoc on his body.  He has my kidney and his two...thankfully they did not have to remove his kidneys as they were not diseased, just too small.  But he had so many terrible side effects...cataracts, had his spleen removed, stretch marks all over his body, he's had both hips and knees replaced and his shoulders cause him constant pain. 
I truly believed that I was going to die if I donated, but I was determined to do it...and I did.  July 11, 1977 at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago.  The day that changed my life forever. I was in the hospital for one week, went back for a checkup after a few weeks and have never seen or heard from any of the doctors/nurses since the donation. Their job was done.  They did what they had to and I went on with my life.
My parents handled the situation so well, at least outwardly.  My mom is one of the strongest people I know...she draws on her faith to get her through tough times.  With prayer, support of friends and family, and a true belief that it would all work out...she held all of us up.  She and my dad spent the week at the hospital with us.  Mom staying with me in my room and my dad staying with my brother.  My surgery was 5 hours and Danny's was 7 hours..  When it was all over, we all had a good cry together, celebrating the successful outcome.  We have been so very blessed to have such a good outcome as we met many wonderful families at Children's Memorial Hospital who lost their child because there was no organ available for them... I have never forgotten them....
I've never regretted any part of the transplant...if anything, it shaped my life in such a wonderful way...I found a courage and strength in myself that I may never have known existed. While the transplant saved my brother's life, I truly believe that God knew that it would be life changing for me as well...  I am well adjusted, healthy and try to always pay forward my good fortune.  I always feel that I have an angel on my shoulder watching over me.  It is such a peaceful feeling... I, too, feel bad for those who have not had good experiences with transplantation, but for all donors, hold on to the goodness and kindness of your donating...find peace in yourself and your decision...we do not control outcomes, but we can influence life. (by the way, my brother's transplant is still working after almost 33 years, although we were informed that the transplant is a treatment, not a cure.)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 05:47:37 AM »

That was lovely to read.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »