I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  4KG?!?!?!!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4KG?!?!?!!  (Read 5593 times)
brandi1leigh

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »

Wow. I read this thread and realize how lucky I am. My center is great. The techs always ask me how much I think I should take off. If my math is different than theirs, we discuss it. The only time we have differed is when I think my dry weight might have changed. They usually turn the machine towards me, but if they're busy and forget, all I have to do is ask. They don't like us pressing buttons on the machine, but the trade off is that they try to answer all questions and explain things, especially when we ask. Sometimes if my machine starts alarming, (and I know it's because I moved my arm the wrong way--I have a very sensitive fistula), I'll press the restart button myself. However, usually they're right on top of things and I don't have a chance to do it before they're there. Occasionally they get tied up with another patient, and I've hit the button for expediency, and they've never said boo to me about it.

They're also great if I start cramping. They'll turn the fluid goal off immediately.

The only time I've had a problem with a tech was one time when I wasn't supposed to get heparin...they were supposed to do the saline flushes every thirty minutes. The techs changed shifts right as it was supposed to happen and it got overlooked. I mentioned it to her and she was really apologetic. She immediately went and got a timer and put it by my chair, so that it would alarm in thirty minutes in case she forgot again. I can't ask for more than that. She made a mistake and took action to correct it.

There are certainly some techs I like better than others, but I'm really lucky that I have a pretty great staff. I get frustrated with the process sometimes, but I take comfort that the people at my center are doing their best and seem to really care.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »

I have never had that kind of trouble, but I think that the nurses are very careful with me. They also know that if they want to keep me conscious, they can't take off more than 3.2kgs, no matter what my weight is.  I've never cramped, but I do have something weird happen.  This may be TMI for some (so close your eyes if you don't wanna know.. *LOL*), but when my bp drops cuz I"m getting too dry, my boobs get sore.  They think it's weird, but also think it could be a form of cramping.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Hubbs

when they ask how i feel , I just say; Drained.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2010, 06:17:11 AM »

my feet are the first to cramp.  the staff are so used to having there way cuz all they work with are old folks. sigh.. so i really stirred up the hornets nest. if this happens again. i'm going to the top.
btw. how many of u get light headed after bending over?   

Blindness separates you from things,
but Deafness separates you from people.
-- Helen Keller --
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2010, 07:11:46 AM »

have you asked to have a BVM/"crit line"(whatever you want to call it) to get your dry weight more accurately measured?

I actually think my dry weight is about 0.5 above what it should be, but honestly I just leave it over. I don't cramp, I only put about 2kg on between sessions and have no breathing problems so I just leave it that way. Haven't cramped badly for at least six months - maybe longer (YAY!)

Our staff are very good w.r.t. cramp and will reassess dry weight and obviously do their best to stop it ASAP when it happens. I hope things improve on your situation!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:20 AM »

When I camp it's usually because of the rate rather than the goal. In the summer months I'm bad on the weekends . BBQs, parties, etc. What can i say, I'm a social butterfly!  :bandance; On Mondays my gain is sometimes 6kg because of the weekend but I can take off 5kg safely in 5 hours.   I just catch the rest on Wednesday.

When I cramp, it's also the feet first, then the calves, then (on bad days) the hands. Sometimes my calf cramps so bad that I have to stand up to stretch it out. They don't like me standing much but it's the only way. Have never gotten dizzy or fallen when standing.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
Hubbs

when they ask how i feel , I just say; Drained.

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 01:34:27 PM »

if i went in to have just 2 kg , they think something was wrong with me. lol..  i put on between  3 an 4kg this is after the 2 day break too.  dang if i put i 6kg, they prolly ask me if I went to a keg party   :2thumbsup; :beer1;
I'll ask how i can get my dry wight right.  and my BP has always been a roller coaster. after i get off if i bend over and stand up again.. my eyes go dark then come back.. if i'm walking i have to  stop so i don't run into anything like moving cars?

Blindness separates you from things,
but Deafness separates you from people.
-- Helen Keller --
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 07:09:49 AM »

Very soon after the tech sets me up the nurse comes.  She listens to my heart, checks my ankles and then goes over what the tech has set the machine up for.  Then she brings me my meds and I check what they are and that they are mine.  Then she pushes the meds. 
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »