I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:47:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Emla Cream
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emla Cream  (Read 4696 times)
cookie2008

« on: January 29, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »

Has anyone with buttonholes that has used the cream had any issues with having infections.  Due to the cream softening up the scaps and going into the buttonhole.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
Pam

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »

I do incenter and have buttonholes. I only use the emla cream when I know my reg tech will not be there. I put a blob on a bandaid and place it over the button hole. It has never taken the scab off. My teck says in her 10 yrs she has never seen an infection with button holes.
Pam
silverhead

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »

No, we have used it for a long time, in fact I like that  it softens the scabs and when the time comes, I wipe the cream off with a sterile pad, apply the Iodine swab to the site and let it do it's thing while I do the snap and tap job, have never had any problems in three years with the buttonholes......
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
vcarmody

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 06:38:23 PM »

Hi Cookie, when we were training I started to notice that Chris's buttonholes looked like they were getting infected, he uses the cream and I started to notice when he washed his arm and I was getting ready to pick his scabs they seemed kinda gooey and yellow like pus (I thought maybe it was cause I was so new at doing this that maybe I wad not being careful enough).  So at night we started to put antibiotic cream on, now they seen much better.  His button holes are almost ready and we should be finishing up training soon... I can't wait!!!

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
cookie2008

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

Thats good news vicky.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

I am in center with buttonholes.  I put the cream on 30-60 minutes before and tape Saran Wrap over them.  No infection here and the tech says it is easier to get the scabs off.
M3Riddler

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »

Emla Cream can be harsh on the skin and can cause a contact dermatitis. How much emla are you using per treatment?

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »

I just put a dab on the buttonholes, my skin itches and is red irritated, my neph gave me a perscription for a ointment for it but nothing seems to work.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
cookie2008

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

I been using Palmers cocoa butter formula with vitamin e around my buttonholes and the redness and itching went away thankfully. 

Ok my Neph does not want me to use the emla anymore because it could cause an infection in the tunnel, I tried it and went back to using it.  I clean my arm before I put the emla on and I clean it with antibacterial soap and the except solution before we place the blunt needles.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
valve

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »

I have never had a problem with the emla cream and have been using it for 2 years now.  What I do though, you might want to try is wash my sits with antibacterial soap then wipe with an alcohol pad.  After that I apply my cream, cover it with seran wrap for about an hour and a half.  When ready for my treatment I wipe off the excess with guaze, remove my scab with sterilized tweezers, then with with an alcohol pad again and then finally use baidadine. (i use the buttonhole technique). 

Good luck, I hope you figure things out!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »