I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Another unfortunate experience............
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another unfortunate experience............  (Read 12067 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2006, 07:20:06 PM »

I mjst be the only person in the free world who hasn't seen this movie but.......what were her scars from? 

The scars were from dialysis.  Well, if I remember rightly, they showed more bruises than scars, but it still wasn't pretty.  Roberts plays a young diabetic, who goes into kidney failure after having a child the doc's told her not to have.  Sally Field plays her mom, who gives Roberts a kidney.  She loses the transplant, goes into a coma, and they have to pull the plug on Roberts.  Very cheerful.  :P

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2006, 07:24:03 PM »

You know, I must have seen that movie a dozen times, but it was only the last time, about 2 weeks ago, where I actually caught on that she was on dialysis, and her scars/bruises were from dialysis also. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »

I have to admit I'm not up-to-date on this since I've been away from dialysis for almost 2 years; I have never heard of these Palindrome caths, but it sure is great if they have come up with a better product.  Are they widely used now?

They started using them almost exclusively here a year or so ago at our local hospital.  I've not seen them put in an Ash-Split since they discovered them.  In addition to the good BFR's, they don't require activase as often and usually don't recirculate if you have to reverse the lines.  You'll love them!  :2thumbsup;

PS--Please come work with me!  I think we'd get along great!  :beer1; ;D

Sounds interesting!  The Ash Splits weren't so great, we had lots of problems with them.  And nothing is more frustrating than a perm cath that won't run, as you know so well.

BTW  :thx;!  It can be hard to find other dialysis RNs who share the same ideals.   :beer1;

DeLana
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »

No one attack me, please, I actually got forced out of another dialysis community online for having these opinions, but I'm going against the majority vote here. 

I too prefer a catheter over a fistula or a graft.   I've never had an arm access, but from the first time I saw Steel Magnolias, and Julia Roberts showed her arm -- I did NOT want that.  Maybe it's really vanity.  I'm 26, and unless I tell them, most of my friends do not know I'm even sick.  With an arm access, it's visible to the world, with a catheter, besides being depressed that I can't go swimming in the summers or wear hoochie outfits (not that I'd really want to dress hoochie anyway, haha) - everything is OK.  I've been lucky to be getting amazing dialysis with it (knock on wood, haven't had an infection in over a year), and only once had one slipped out on me.  The one I have in now I've had since Sept 05, and since '01 have had only 2 (not including the one I have now) replaced. 

That's so vain of me to even admit, that the reason I don't want it is because of the way it looks, but it's true..  :-\  As long as I'm getting good dialysis now, why eff with it?

I mjst be the only person in the free world who hasn't seen this movie but.......what were her scars from? 
Anyway--I have lots of scars.  They don't bother me and if they bother you well then that's too bad.  Look away. 
I know we are judged by our outside appearances in this world.  I've seen people burned by fire, I worked with a man who was horrible scarred by a car fire.  He was a delivery man so he dealt with all kinds of stares and looks from people.  He told me once that if someone is honest with him and asks him what happened he's glad to tell them.  It difuses the tension and puts them both at ease.  Just don't be rude and go "eeeewwww" or point. 
In my own sick way I like scars.  It shows me that the person went through some bad experiences yet they have the courage to show the world that they're still here and they count as a person. 

"A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars."

Carly Simon

Well said.  :2thumbsup; :clap;

I second that.

DeLana   :grouphug;

P.S.  I'll have to watch that movie again, it was such a long time ago and I could not remember this at all!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 01:05:04 AM »

Generally, catheters are much preferable to fistulas

That's the first time I hear that!
That is the first time I have ever heard that either as the docs have always told me that the Fistula was preferable since the Catheter can get infected so easily and since it goes to the heart that would be a bad thing (even though mine I had for a year never got infected yet they had trouble forming my fistula and the first one failed after 10 days!)

but from the first time I saw Steel Magnolias, and Julia Roberts showed her arm -- I did NOT want that. 

I must be the only person in the free world who hasn't seen this movie but.......what were her scars from? 
I haven't seen that movie neither  :-[

Well at first I preferred the permcath even though I couldn't wear tank tops or bras .. :P

But I must say .. at that time no one could tell I was sick .. but now everyone notices my arm. They always ask "What did you do!?!?"  ::)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:15:53 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 03:01:26 AM »

But I must say .. at that time no one could tell I was sick .. but now everyone notices my arm. They always ask "What did you do!?!?"  ::)

I tend to wear long sleeves since I'm cold all the time anyhow, not because of the scars.  But I usually end up pushing them up a bit to keep the ends dry while I'm washing my hands.  Then I go somewhere and see everyone staring at the one scar on my wrist that does show.  They never say anything, though.  It's horizontal to my arm, and just enough off center that they probably should realize it wasn't a suicide attempt - but you know how people are. . .   Some of the bug eyed looks are pretty funny!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 08:33:22 AM »

I have tons of scars on my forearms, chest, ankles, and tummy. In the winter, usually nobody see's them b/c I am cold and wear long-sleeves. In the summer, I used to care, years ago... but I don't anymore. If someone can't like you for you, then they wouldn't be good friend material anyways. IMHO. If someone ask's about my scars, I have no problem telling them, it's the people who stare and mumble under their breathe to other people... they piss me off, and I make sure they know it too.  :D

Each scar to me, has a memory... not always a good memory, but a memory none the less. The scars on my tummy are my most prized scars... 3 of them. 2 c-sections and 1 transplant. I can hardly wait to add a new transplant scar.  :P

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2006, 12:36:55 PM »

I just with fellow dialysis patients calling my scars BATTLE SCARS! ;)  :clap; :2thumbsup;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »