I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Buttonholes Bleeding???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buttonholes Bleeding???  (Read 4692 times)
MJB

« on: February 08, 2007, 08:09:56 PM »

Just a quick question for those who have buttonholes. I have been having a lot of bleeding around my access site. I notice it after the treatment. Has anyone experienced this? I called my center and they suggested making new holes ....needless to say I'm not too keen on that idea. I will if I have to. Have any ideas? It's almost as if the holes have gotten too big.

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »

Just a quick question for those who have buttonholes. I have been having a lot of bleeding around my access site. I notice it after the treatment. Has anyone experienced this? I called my center and they suggested making new holes ....needless to say I'm not too keen on that idea. I will if I have to. Have any ideas? It's almost as if the holes have gotten too big.
I had experienced that in the past. The nurse told me that is caused by excessive scar tissue in that area.

Epoman could be more detailed. I am only going by what my nurse said but I am losing confidence in most of them.

Ever since I started using blunts I don't get that anymore. I think with the sharps maybe they were making the holes too big? (Not the same path all the time??)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:18:44 PM »

At my clinic they told me that when the hole gets too big, then the blunt needles bleed....
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 10:29:08 PM »

At my clinic they told me that when the hole gets too big, then the blunt needles bleed....
Oh ya? I notice with mine my holes heal fast. Wonder if that can cause buttonholes to be able to establish lol

But ya when I had the bleeding it was with the sharps only and I can't remember if it was buttonholes or pre-buttonholes.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 03:24:27 AM »

I was warned 10 times not to do buttonhole beause of alleged dangers of complications; infections, bleeding, and possible vascular disorder.  I went ahead and did it anway.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 03:58:55 AM »

I was warned 10 times not to do buttonhole beause of alleged dangers of complications; infections, bleeding, and possible vascular disorder.  I went ahead and did it anway.
How long ago were you warned? I know a lot of places don't realize the advantages, but are against it because they have always heard "ladder technique & don't cannulate in the same spot ever! Scar tissue is BAD!" and so to them Buttonholes are a terrible idea. They don't realize it is more of a "controlled scar tissue" as far as I am hearing. Am I right?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 04:04:18 AM »

I'm talking about between last June and November.  Then my nephrologist is very conservative.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 08:04:25 AM »

The say not to use siliconized smooth needles when using the buttonhole as it allows bleeding along the needle.

What they said is true.  However as with anything in this disease you pick your poison as all methods have one drawback or another.  One can only do what they feel is best for them and will provide them the least complications.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 08:10:11 AM »

The say not to use siliconized smooth needles when using the buttonhole as it allows bleeding along the needle.

What they said is true.  However as with anything in this disease you pick your poison as all methods have one drawback or another.  One can only do what they feel is best for them and will provide them the least complications.
What are the complications associated with Buttonhole? I made the decision based on lack of cannulating space.

I think it is good for some but might not be good for others. But for me I am glad I chose to do it.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

Mike had a tiny bit of bleeding around the venous needle on day 5, but I think it was because we bumped his flow rate up (from 400 to 420) and it was a higher rate than his new fistula could handle.  :twocents;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
MJB

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »

I was warned 10 times not to do buttonhole beause of alleged dangers of complications; infections, bleeding, and possible vascular disorder. I went ahead and did it anway.

What they said is true. However as with anything in this disease you pick your poison as all methods have one drawback or another. One can only do what they feel is best for them and will provide them the least complications.
Mike had a tiny bit of bleeding around the venous needle on day 5, but I think it was because we bumped his flow rate up (from 400 to 420) and it was a higher rate than his new fistula could handle. :twocents;

Bigsky, I'm not aware of another type of needles for buttonholes. I use a MediSystems siliconizied needle 15G. If you know of another brand/type please let me know. I'm willing to try it.

Black, Good point, I usually run about 550 - 600. I guess this could have started to cause this.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:02:19 AM by MJB » Logged

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 04:18:13 AM »

If the holes become a bit big they can bleed a bit. Mine do sometimes. Also if you use local and you dont stop the bleeding before cannulating it causes blood to accumulate under the tape during treatment. This isnt good as it creates a good environment for bacteria to grow. As I am on nocturnal I wear a keakage detector that will alert me if there is a significant bleed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »