I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 03:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Last meal?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Last meal?  (Read 2169 times)
WfMonkey

« on: June 04, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »

So I'm planning to completely ignore potassium/sodium/phosphorus/cholesterol/protein content and go for one fancy meal before I my transplant evaluation later this month. I'm trying to think what I absolutely can never eat again after transplant, they kiss it goodbye in style at a fine dining establishment. I'm thinking a nice beer at the bar, oysters or fois gras appetizer, then steak tartare with gratin potatoes washed down with a good Bordeaux and maybe some blue cheese or a nice creme brulee and an expresso for desert. Any other suggestions?

2009: Diagnosed with FSGS, GFR=40
April 2011: GFR = 12
Pre-Dialysis. LD in place, testing underway
edersham

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »

After transplant I believe you will be able to have more phosphorus and potassium than now and all the nephs I have seen over the last 2 1/2 years have given me the same advice about alcohol in CKD, ESRD , D and post TX.  It's OK in moderation.  If blood draws are part of your evaluation the potassium, phosphorus and sodium could have absolute overnight effects as well.  In my opinion (which only comes from my experience)  the only foods you mention that will be more restricted after TX are the undercooked ones. 

good luck
Ed
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »

Boy do you have it backwards. With the transplant you have more freedom to eat many foods except usually grapefruit due to medications. You should still watch salt intake though, that's not good for bp, heart, and kidney. You may also need to limit intake of potassium and phosphorus at times, but not always due to labs or when you are not drinking enough fluids especially while sick. First solid meal after transplant they gave me anything I wanted to eat, any request. Your last meal idea would be bad to do, especially if you end up in the hospital for it and miss going to the transplant center, or it slips out that your going to do this and brings up more questions from the transplant center about control. They want to make sure you will take your meds, take care of yourself and not blow it away.

Who told you anyway you had to go on a stricter diet with a transplant than dialysis?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Jie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 05:57:01 PM »

Yes, it is backwards. After transplant, I have to eat a lot of phosphorus-rich foods, and it is common to take phosphorus supplement too. To retain fluids, I have to increase my salt intake after transplant, an opposite to a lot of post-transplant patients. 
WfMonkey

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »

For some reason I thought that raw oysters, raw meat and super high cholesterol foods were not a good idea for people with chemically suppressed immune systems.

2009: Diagnosed with FSGS, GFR=40
April 2011: GFR = 12
Pre-Dialysis. LD in place, testing underway
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »

yes raw meat, oysters (varies by center I think), and high cholesterol are bad for a transplant. Raw meat due to bacteria, but that doesn't mean lunchmeat, raw fish is also something to becareful of to. But high cholesterol is a big no no, but it also depends on what you mean. A deep fried food is ok once in awhile, but not agood on a daily basis due to the effects on arteries and veins, not to mention the effects it has on you with meds (paper stock meaning)

But if high cholesterol foods is your forte, best to adjust your diet beforehand to give the new kidney it's best chance of survival to last many years. First year of transplant is considered the roughest due to all the adjustments for the body and the medications, so best to avoid raw meat, fish, oysters, eggs.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012