I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  BFS and Dialysate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BFS and Dialysate  (Read 6013 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: February 16, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »

I talk to my clinic today about increasing my dialysate from 20 L to 30 L.... after a long conservation and letting them think about it....they called and said OK.....  but  they said that I would have to increase my BFS  from 350 to 450 and maybe 500.....  I was shocked..... while I was training they wanted me to run at 400  while when I was in center I was running 350 and have never ran faster than that..... try to keep the pressure at 200 or less...   they told me that my pressures can go as high as 300 but 250 was good.....  Everything I have read here and else where and everyone I have talk to about learning everything I can about Dialsysis said to keep the pressures at 200or less and dont run fast ....protect the fistula.....  I told the clinic that I was concern about running that fast.....they said   if you cant do the speeds than maybe you wont be able to run the 30 L..... I was shocked....why do they want me to run at those speeds.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Zog

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »

Why do you want to go from 20L to 30L?  Is it something in your labs?  If you run a pressure over 200 the blood in the line will actually not pump at the speed the pump is running at.  The pump will only spin faster, but the blood isn't going to move much faster.  Your vascular surgeon should be the authority on how fast your fistula can run.

There are 4 things that affect your treatment time.

More UF (longer)
More Dialysate (longer)
Higher Blood Flow Rate (shorter)
Higher Filtration Fraction (shorter)

If you are shooting for a particular time, there are simple formulas they can use to play with those 4 variables until they get the time right. 

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »

Here's an interesting blog written by Hemodoc.  It's entitled, "Taking NxStage System One to the Max"

http://www.billpeckham.com/from_the_sharp_end_of_the/2010/02/taking-nxstage-system-one-to-the-max.html

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Zog

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 08:15:39 PM »

Most NxStage recommendations, design, concept, ulterior motives are geared to save dialysate so they could make the pureflow machine work in home and bagged dialysate travel an option.  The filtration fraction of say a Gambro Phoenix machine is a whole lot more than a NxStage.  Most in-center docs get a little snobby when they speak of their mighty in-center machines and their superior urea sucking capabilities.  I have always wondered if the filtration factor could be variable during treatment to shake out different sized molecules.  This is probably a silly thought, but I don't have a research lab.  The bigger in-center machines have all kinds of modeling and monitoring sensors and techniques that you have to perform manually on the NxStage.  Picking a NxStage treatment is a lot of trial and error using labs, but it is worth it.

Here's a spreadsheet I made with the treatment time calculation I came up with:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiEa8NMba3u9dFF5WnhjQ3J3OGo1OGxtMDAyemZYVXc&hl=en

You will have to download your own copy to play with.  I haven't figured out how to make this interactive without leaving it where someone could mess it up.  I can't remember if I put a logic check in it for positive values or UF time without dialysate.  It doesn't have the real world time either that accounts for every time the dialysate pump shuts off for checks (yellow 2, 7, 8).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:58:11 AM by Zog » Logged

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
Malibu

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the link Zach. 

Tyefly, what is the motivation behind you wanting to increase your dialysate?
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »

Interesting.  Thanks for posting the link Zach. 

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

Basically   longer time  and more ability to take out toxins.....  The concept more is better is my approach....  And like Peter,s  paper on DSEN.... I am want to try to max out my perscription for the best results.... Nocturnal will be my next goal.....   Plus my labs at 20L were not as good as they should be.....  lower than in center for sure.... I had a higher BUN both pre and post and I just didnt feel as well as I did when in center.... So I think more will be better......  I have already done 2 days at 30L and today I feel much better.... I will run a couple of weeks and do labs and we will see how my labs look.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Zog

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:30 AM »

How much time are you doing and at what blood flow rate?  That number of blood liters processed number at the end of treatment tells a whole lot more about your treatment than time or amount of dialysate.

If someone tells you to up your blood flow rate as a result of raising your dialysate they are just trying to keep you on the same amount of time each day.

We got near close to normal numbers on all lab values by doing 25L at 25% filtration fraction when Jenn was pregnant.  We didn't even care about kt/V because Jenn's pre-BUN was already NORMAL.  We were running 4 hours at 500 ml BFR then too with baby monitors on.  It was a wild ride 7 days a week. 28 hours/week of dialysis at 500 ml/min BFR.  I think we processed about 800 L/week of blood.

Sometimes I wish we were back on that schedule for Jenn's lab's sake, but it took a lot out of us being on from 7:30 PM to 11:30 PM to 12 PM everyday.  It is easier to just take your binders and watch your diet in some cases.

Weight and diet are the other factors affecting your treatment time per given lab result.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:28:59 AM by Zog » Logged

1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »

I am doing BFS 400 and FF 33   for 4 hours....  blood processed is 98L ....  6 days a week....   
   I hope my labs will be good...  and most important that I feel really good.....  its alot of time increase to do this Nxstage....   IN center I was doing 9 hours a week..... now I am doing 24.....  But the freedom of travel is worth the effort.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
rocker

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »

One thing no one has mentioned wrt NxStage and time is clotting.

In-center dialysis machines have a means to deliver Heparin continuously throughout treatment.  NxStage has no such ability, most home dialyzers rely on a large dose of Heparin at the beginning of the treatment (Heparin dialyzes out).

This is why NxStage cannot be used as a nocturnal machine by most people.

I know that when hubby's hemoglobin got high enough (over 12), he began clotting filters.  We avoid this now by giving 50ml saline every hour - obviously not an option during nocturnal, and probably doesn't work for that long anyway.

Anyway, if they wanted you to increase blood flow to keep the treatment time roughly the same, avoiding clotting may be the reason.

- rocker
silverhead

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »

Rocker, I have to disagree about this:

Quote: In-center dialysis machines have a means to deliver Heparin continuously throughout treatment.  NxStage has no such ability, most home dialyzers rely on a large dose of Heparin at the beginning of the treatment (Heparin dialyzes out).

This is why NxStage cannot be used as a nocturnal machine by most people.   end quote

those who are doing Nocturnal with the NxStage do so with a different cartridge, which has a provision for using a Heparin pump, supplied by their Center to accommodate that feature.  And they don't refer to it as Nocturnal, but instead as "Extended" .......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
rocker

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »

Quote: In-center dialysis machines have a means to deliver Heparin continuously throughout treatment.  NxStage has no such ability, most home dialyzers rely on a large dose of Heparin at the beginning of the treatment (Heparin dialyzes out).

This is why NxStage cannot be used as a nocturnal machine by most people.   end quote

those who are doing Nocturnal with the NxStage do so with a different cartridge, which has a provision for using a Heparin pump, supplied by their Center to accommodate that feature.  And they don't refer to it as Nocturnal, but instead as "Extended" .......

Interesting.  I have been told several times by my center that there is absolutely no way to infuse Heparin during treatment with NxStage, and hence absolutely no chance of extending treatment.

Do you have a reference on this that I can take to my center?  I would really like for my husband to try nocturnal if possible.  (He always slept through treatment in-center....so much so that on nights he couldn't sleep, he'd turn to me and say "Make noises like a dialysis machine.")

- rocker
Harvey Wells

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »

Most if not all of the nocturnal NxStage users are at independent centers with one exception - RAI.  Most corporate structures are to concerned with liability exposure and are waiting for several nocturnal studies to be evaluated and published.  On the short, if you're in a corporate center you may have to wait unless you're near an independent or RAI facility.  Regardless of center your Nephrologist will have to be on board and in most cases unless the center approves and has a nocturnal policy they won't approve.  NxStage nocturnal can and is being used nocturnally by NKC (Northwest Kidney - Seattle), Wellbound Dialysis, Reuben in NYC and several RAI's as well as others with probably several hunderd dialyzors and there is a heparin pump. 

Survived PD Jan '98 - Jun '98
Survived a transplant Jun '98 - Jan '06 (my wife was my donor)
Survived in-center Jan '06 - Mar '07
I now thrive on SHDD on NxStage 6 days a week since Mar '07
Zog

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 12:11:21 PM »

If you have lots of money laying around  :rofl; you can buy a crit-line monitor and NxStage OneView touch screen interface to go along with your IV pole heparin pump and NxStage System One.

1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »

Interesting.  I have been told several times by my center that there is absolutely no way to infuse Heparin during treatment with NxStage, and hence absolutely no chance of extending treatment.

Do you have a reference on this that I can take to my center?  I would really like for my husband to try nocturnal if possible.  (He always slept through treatment in-center....so much so that on nights he couldn't sleep, he'd turn to me and say "Make noises like a dialysis machine.")

- rocker

The cartridges are called 171B - I've been doing extended overnight dialysis with the System One since January 2008, using a separate heparin pump. It's by far the least burdensome form of dialysis that I've tried. As I said in my comment on expanding the bundle - "frequent, overnight dialysis reduces the CKD5 burden to its irreducible core."

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »