I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 04:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How CKD Affects Your Body
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How CKD Affects Your Body  (Read 4323 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: January 05, 2010, 07:29:31 PM »

Someone asked about odor and changes in the body - I thought this article was a good overview.
okarol

From AAKP

How CKD Affects Your Body

By Alan Kliger, MD

Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is defined as damaged kidneys, or a reduction in kidney function below 60 percent of normal. Kidney disease is sometimes called a “silent” disease, because it often causes no pain or other symptoms. Nonetheless, CKD causes many chemical changes in the body, and may affect many parts of the body. As kidney function falls, symptoms appear and sometimes worsen, eventually leading to the need for a kidney transplant or dialysis. Problems that arise as kidney disease progresses include:

High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): High blood pressure is present in more than 70 percent of people whose kidney function falls below 60 percent of normal. It can cause faster loss of kidney function. Hypertension can also cause heart and blood vessel disease, including enlargement of the heart, congestive heart failure, heart attacks and strokes. Most people with high blood pressure have no symptoms of this dangerous disorder. When blood pressure is severely elevated, headaches, dizziness, confusion, double or blurred vision and even seizures and unconsciousness can result. All patients with CKD should work with their doctors to monitor blood pressure results frequently, and follow diet and medication advice to maintain blood pressure at less than 130/85. Many powerful blood pressure medicines are now available to lower blood pressure and at the same time help preserve kidney function.

Low Red Blood Cells (Anemia): Kidneys make a hormone called erythropoietin (EPO), that travels in the blood stream to the bone marrow, and increases production of red blood cells. When CKD damages the kidneys, this hormone secretion is reduced, and normal red blood cell production reduces. This results in a low red blood cell count or anemia. Anemia is sometimes associated with reduced iron in the body. In general, the worse the kidney disease, the worse the anemia becomes. Low blood counts are associated with higher rates of hospitalizations, heart and blood vessel disease and impaired thinking processes. Several studies have shown that anemia is associated with higher chances of death. Anemia can cause a pale complexion, weakness, reduced exercise ability and a general feeling of poor well-being. Some patients say, “I feel cold all the time.” Anemia can also cause thickening of the heart muscle, and lead to congestive heart failure (CHF). Patients with CKD and anemia need frequent measures of their blood hemoglobin, a measure of the red blood cell mass. Treatment with injections of EPO, and with oral or intravenous iron, can correct the anemia and improve many if not all of these symptoms and complications. Patients with CKD should work with their doctors to follow and treat anemia.

Heart and Blood Vessel (Cardiovascular) Disease: CKD increases the chance for heart disease, stroke and narrowing of blood vessels in the legs. Patients with CKD have a higher chance to develop chest pain (angina) and heart attacks. In addition, CKD patients have a higher incidence of heart muscle thickening, leading to congestive heart failure (CHF). Symptoms of CHF include shortness of breath, particularly with exercise or when lying down. Swelling of the feet or ankles (edema) may develop. Strokes are more common in CKD, the result of narrowing of arteries to the brain. Recent studies also show that postmenopausal women with CKD and heart disease also are at higher risk for artery narrowing to the legs, called peripheral arterial disease. This complication can cause pain, inability to walk and tissue breakdown.

Abnormalities of lipid metabolism (cholesterol and triglyceride) are common in CKD, and may add to the risk of heart and blood vessel disease. In addition, smoking adds to this risk, and may speed the decline of kidney failure in patients with diabetes, high blood pressure and other kidney diseases. Patients need to find effective ways to stop smoking. They should work with their doctors to reduce the level of cholesterol with diet and medications.     

Nutrition: Poor intake of protein and calories during the course of CKD is common in many patients, particularly as the level of kidney function drops below 60 percent of normal. This leads to malnutrition, and is associated with poor outcomes. Patients experience a decrease in appetite, lower protein levels in the blood, weight loss and reduction in body fat and muscle. It is recommended that the nutritional status of CKD patients be monitored every six to 12 months when the kidney function is less than 60 percent of normal, and every one to three months when function falls to less than 30 percent of normal. Patients with CKD and malnutrition should get nutritional counseling, and receive dietary modification, education or specialized nutrition therapy.

Many CKD patients have protein loss in the urine, which can lead to low body protein. In addition to making the malnutrition worse, this protein loss can lead to swelling of the feet, ankles or the whole body (edema). Medications, such as angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, can sometimes reduce the level of protein excretion and improve the kidney’s function.

Bone Disease and Calcium: Bone disorders are common in patients with CKD. In some patients, an increased level of phosphorus in the blood reduces vitamin D production in the body, which reduces the intestine’s absorption of calcium from food. The combination of low calcium absorption and high phosphorus can cause the growth of the tiny parathyroid glands in the neck, causing high levels of the hormone they produce (parathyroid hormone, or PTH). PTH stimulates increased cell turnover in the bones, causing abnormal bone structure, decreased bone strength and increased risk of fracture. Other patients develop low turnover bone disease, with reduced ability of the bones to reshape. Some patients with this disorder have pain in their bones. Patients and their doctors should work together to measure calcium, phosphorus and PTH in the blood, and to assess bone structure with X-ray tests or a bone density test. Medicines to reduce phosphorus levels and several forms of vitamin D have helped treat this bone disease. Newer medicines are being tested that may help improve this condition.

Diseases of the Nervous System (Neuropathy): Neuropathy is a common complication of CKD. The brain is sometimes affected (encephalopathy), resulting in fatigue, impaired memory, confusion, disorientation or poor thinking processes. Severe kidney failure can cause hallucinations, delirium, convulsions and coma. Sleep disorders are common, causing restlessness, frequent awakening and fatigue. The nerves of the arms, hands, legs and feet can be affected, causing decreased sensation, itching, burning, muscle irritability, cramps or weakness. Neuropathy effects on the autonomic nerves can cause abnormal responses of the pulse and blood pressure. When patients experience symptoms of neuropathy, specialized laboratory tests should be performed.

Functioning and Well-Being: CKD can affect the ability to function normally or the sense of one’s well-being. CKD is associated with increasing symptoms such as tiring easily, low energy, weakness, cramps, bad taste in the mouth, poor odor perception and hiccups. These symptoms, along with the effects of CKD on the heart, bones, blood vessels and nervous system, reduce well-being and the ability to function well.

Note: This brief review draws heavily from the National Kidney Foundation DOQI project, which published its “Clinical Practice Guidelines for Chronic Kidney Disease: Evaluation, Classification and Stratification” in the American Journal of Kidney Diseases, Volume 39, February 2002. 

Alan Kliger, MD, is Clinical Professor of Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, and Chairman, Department of Medicine Hospital of St. Raphael, New Haven, Connecticut. Dr. Kliger serves as Chairman of the Forum of ESRD Networks, and is a director for the ESRD Network of New England; on the steering committee for the NIH Chronic Kidney Disease Education Project; and is officer and member of the RPA Board of Directors and serves on its Quality Patient Care Committee.

This article originally appeared in the June/July 2004 issue of Kidney Beginnings: The Magazine, Vol. 3, No. 2.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »

Thanks for the reminder. This is not an easy disease to contend with. sometimes it's easy to forget the extent of how the disease affects us as we lead our daily lives.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »

It's not a real good thing to have, eh!

Galvo
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »

A very useful summary. Trouble is, I can recognise all of them except for the diseases of the nervous system.  :(

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »

Very Useful makes us want to keep a close eye on our health.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
pdpatty

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:12:27 AM »

All my life I have heard this sound that no one else can hear. Sounds like metalic inscets . It is constant and lately it has gotten louder and I notice people have to talk a little lounder so I can hear. Husband is a little grouchy about this.

Wonder if all this can affect hearing. The sound I hear is driving me up the wall. It never stops.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:08:40 PM »

All my life I have heard this sound that no one else can hear. Sounds like metalic inscets . It is constant and lately it has gotten louder and I notice people have to talk a little lounder so I can hear. Husband is a little grouchy about this.

Wonder if all this can affect hearing. The sound I hear is driving me up the wall. It never stops.

That sounds like tinnitus.

http://www.squidoo.com/tinnituscauses

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »

Sounds like you're a bit deaf and you've got tinnitus.

I have to wear a hearing aide and I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. The trick is to ignore the tinnitus sound. I can ignore it so that I don't perceive it until someone says "tinnitus" or I read the word. Then it hits me. It's hitting me now, but soon I shall "forget" that I'm hearing it.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »

Mine started when I started velcade (chemo) it's like the sound you hear when you head is under the sea???

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »

Thanks for the reminder. This is not an easy disease to contend with. sometimes it's easy to forget the extent of how the disease affects us as we lead our daily lives.
Except for the anemia, all these other symptoms are also part of advanced aging:  Osteoporosis, Alzheimer's (poor concentration and loss of memory), cardiovascular disease, heart failure.

I've heard other authorities describe CKD as manifesting the symptoms of rapid aging. 

And yes, before I started treatment, I felt like I was 80 years old.

Sounds like that old Star Trek episode, the one with the rapid aging disease.   
bountyhunter_ga

I love to cook

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 06:01:06 AM »

I feel as though you wrote this for me. The longer I go through the treatments the worse it seems to get. I never saw myself as a Kandy ass,but this stuff is whipping my but.

I have to work every day and it starting  showing a lot on the job.

God bless my friends here at work, I guess they are covering for me a lot.
I'm up pretty much most of the night now, can't sleep, feet are hot then cold,, you know the rest.

God is testing us I guess and that's OK . We are a special group of people and maybe one day Kidney disease will be recognised as important to cure as cancer and some of the other stuff. I know the fix is in and I will be fixed soon but I don't want to forget what I've gone through .
I need to help others get through this if possible I guess its just in the personality.

Bountyhunter_ga
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »