I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 12:15:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  tech said no legs down in recliner
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: tech said no legs down in recliner  (Read 2634 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: January 21, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »

I suffer from wrestless legs every once in a while on the machine. The other day I asked the tech if she could put my legs down. She said no she didn't want to do that because it could cause my bp to crash. Is this true?
I have clonopin but it makes me very sleepy that I'm even sleepy on the job and that's not good. My neph told me to take it at night but it makes me feel like my first days of anemia.
Any suggestions on how to cope with this if I can't have my legs down on the machine?
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:26:51 PM »

Yes it is  true about bp, but something you have no choice.  It just becomes so painful.  Tell them how much it hurts and put your legs down but watch your bp closely....

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »

My old tech has a lot of experience and he swears that if you put your legs down your BP WILL crash.  I believe him.  There is a guy at my center who does leg lifts during D.  It looks kinda funny.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »

I am thinking that you should just put your legs  or feet in what ever position you want.....just do it....  its hard to believe that someone could make you sit in a certain position...... Not even your employer can tell you how you should sit at work ....  For me  I just do it...... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:02:20 PM »

yeah we have the controls to our chairs and can move them whichever way we want. Very rarely if someone is in a specific situation they will tell them they should lie back or in a certain way for their BP, but generally we can do whatever we need to to get (slightly) comfortable. I don't have restless legs (phew) but sitting in the one position just doesn't work so I move mine every so often. Good luck!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »

Try putting your legs down and monitor your BP. We were told that Carl should keep his legs up, but he is not comfortable like that. He started putting them down and it has not been a problem. He rarely has them up now, just for a change of position.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
iketchum

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:55:30 AM »

I had to put a chair under my heels and rest my legs that way instead of on my calves. It stopped the restlessness and cramping I was having.
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »

Sullidog, with most of my treatments I put my legs down when I feel I'm about to cramp.   My bp is still stable.  However, I've experienced my bp crushing at one point.  When that happened, I laid all the way back and my bp was normal again.   Most of the times, my bp does not crush.

Have the tech put your legs down and tell him or her to watch out for your bp.  If you are feeling a little warm or hot, it's an indication that your bp has dropped. Ask the tech to lay you back until your bp is back to normal.  It may not happen most of the times, but keep an eye on your bp when your legs are down.

CDW 8) 

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:30 PM »

The BP can be an issue, and if it is, the legs have to be up.  Tell them you sometimes need to have them down, and that they watch your pressure carefully, and that you understand that they may have to throw your chair all the way back, without notice if it goes down.  Tell them you are ok with that, and that you WILL be sometimes having the legs down. 

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »

Big toe started to cramp with 3 minutes left.  He let me put my feet down while he returned my blood.  When my shin cramped he let me stand up.  My bp dropped to 83/47 and I got REALLY dizzy.   :P I sat down and he threw my feet up until I felt better.  I know, standing is not the same thing as just putting your feet down.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »

While it helps keep bp up it also makes it easier to pull fluid as the blood doesnt pool down in the legs.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »

at my center we got new chairs for the nocturnal shift, the patient can completely control them.  with the old chairs one of the patients just hangs his legs over the side of the foot rest if he wants them down. you could try that. my bp often drops way below 90 and i never get sick or dizzy. everyone is different. have them turn your machine so you can see the screen. i monotor my own pressure. and don't let them tell you they can't. it's your life, they do it your way or they don't do it at all.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »