I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 07:19:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What happened to your health insurance premiums?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What happened to your health insurance premiums?  (Read 2295 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: January 10, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »

Since I'm not working right now, I am on Medicare and an individual Blue Cross policy.

I was first diagnosed with kidney failure in September 2008.  2009 was my first full year on dialysis.

Well,  Blue Cross just informed me that they are raising my premium by 40% !!!  It's going to cost me an extra $2600 a year or so.  So I'll be paying some $7,500 a year to Blue Cross.  And given that they pay only 20% of my medical bills (Medicare pays 80%), that's a VERY expensive premium for such little coverage. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »

my private insurance went up 24% last year.... I thought that was bad......  40%    they are going to run you out of there...... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Jie

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 01:02:31 PM »

You have a private insurance and your dialysis is less than 30 months. So, your private insurance should be primary and medicare is secondary. If this is true, then Blue Cross pays much more than 20%.  $7500/year seems a lot of money. However, I would say that Blue Cross loses a lot of money to provide insurance for you even with $7500/year premium and even Blue Cross pays only 20%. It costs a lot of money for a dialysis patient. My medical bill is about 0.4 million US dollars a year. A 20% of it is US$80,000. Of course, when medicare is primary, the cost is a lot less, maybe a 1/3 of this. Please try to talk to the dialysis social worker to see there are any better options there.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:11:12 PM »

I have Humana and Medicare (for three years post transplant).  My Humana is Primary and Medicare is Secondary for 30 months, then Medicare becomes Primary.  Wow, Medicare will be Primary for a whopping six months.   ::)  Then they drop me like a hot potato.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »

Here is our insurance update - In November our insurance (with my husbands employer) informed us our rates were going up by about 35%.  BUT, if we participated in their "health fair" we would then get a 20% discount on the new rates.  We had to go, get blood drawn, fill out a 5 page questioneer, be weighed and if we were smokers, we had until June to quit.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I was furious!  They are going to send us a report on what they found.  Ha!  I finally told the stupid man that their was no where on their questioneer to indicate any major illness like cancer, kidney or liver disease.  I told him they will be calling me when they see my labs are off the chart,  without knowing I am under the care of a nephrologist.   My biggest fear is that they will use this information against those of us with major health issues.    I do like our insurance and they have been good at covering things.  This just feels very invasive.    A friend said that her husbands insurance (blue cross/blue sheild) are requiring a cheek swap to check  who is smoking.   Seriously?!  This all seems a little controlling.     The stress of always worrying about something gets to be overwhelming.   My husband didn't think there was any problem with the "health fair", etc.   I am usually the calm one and he is the "sky is falling" one.   I can't wait for my report to come and I can find out what is wrong with me!  LOL!!!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

You go get them if they try to screw you over Paris.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:13:54 AM »

My husband had an individual BC/BS policy, and Medicare. His rate increased every single year (for 15 years, even before kidney issue), with the biggest jump coming at 50 and up. They said it was age based, and increased around his birthday.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »