I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 04:29:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about BP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about BP  (Read 2198 times)
Xbandito

« on: January 19, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »

Hi, I am taking Cozaar 25mg, Cardura xl 4mg and Atenolol 25mg for high bp, though under this medication my BP has been stable between 115/70 and 125/85 range. Now my Neph has told me to stop taking the Atenolol due to my BP being too low for dialysis  ??? . Now correct me if I am wrong but I thought that you only get low BP during dialysis, if they are taking fluid off ?, now since I still have the function of "letting loose a river flow", I would not need fluid drawn off.

They tried stopping the Atenolol just before xmas and that was not a good four nights, sweating, could not sleep and it felt like the little "thumper" wanted to burst through my chest. My Gp put me back on the Atenolol the next day  :bow;
pdpatty

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:46:15 AM »

I was told you should be weaned off Atenolol. It was dangerous to stop it cold turkey. Your doc should have known this.
CCStan

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »

That is awful !  I think you should be followed by a Cardilogist with BP reading that high w/o meds.  High B/p can ruin whatever kidney function you have left.  As my caridologist told me " heart trumps kidney"  you need both to live but the cardiac issues (i.e.) need to be addressed first, as with failing kidneys you have dialysis to live, no so with the heart.

Stan
Xbandito

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:36:44 AM »

Well today, 2cnd day without the Atenolol, the dialysis machine will not need a pump, my bp is up to 152/90 and my pulse after a little walk to get meds is at 110  :o . It was normally between 60 an 80 even after the same walk.
My fistula aint a "thrill" anymore, it's way faster, working overtime...ah well save on electric bill for them with no pump needed  :rofl;
Angela00882

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »

I am not sure about the meds but I know that your blood pressure can still drop during tx because the blood is out of your body.  That and it also depends how high your blood flow rate is.  The higher the rate the harder it is on the heart.  That sounds bad but actually its good because its more blood we can clean and then we do not have to increase your time. :flower;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »