I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 04:23:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  'They are leaving him to die'
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'They are leaving him to die'  (Read 4532 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 11, 2009, 08:14:06 AM »

'They are leaving him to die'

By Esther Lewis
Staff Reporter

A Milnerton mother is in a race against time to prevent Groote Schuur Hospital from stopping her son's life-saving dialysis treatment.

Doctors from the hospital have told Amelda Leaner that her son is "too sick" to continue the treatment.

Adrian Leaner, 21, received a kidney transplant three years ago. In May this year he started complaining about abdominal pains and by September his body had rejected the organ.

He has been hospitalised for just over two months.

According to Department of Health spokeswoman Faiza Steyn about half of all transplant patients could lose their transplanted kidney, or see the original disease recur, within the 10 years following transplantation.

Meanwhile, Adrian has also been diagnosed with diabetes, and fallen prey to several infections, including a lung infection, tuberculosis and stomach bugs during his stay in hospital.

His mother also claims that he was given penicillin for a week before doctors discovered he was allergic to the medicine.

He started undergoing dialysis treatment at Groote Schuur in October. He needs three sessions a week.

Last week, Leaner was informed that a decision had been taken by the hospital board to discontinue his treatment, because he was "too sick".

Steyn said the decision regarding which patients would be given dialysis was taken by a team of professionals, which included doctors, nurses, social workers and a management representative.

This decision was taken only after a thorough review of the patient's medical history and condition.

Once a decision had been made, the patient or their family could request a review of the decision.

Leaner appealed the decision, and Adrian was given dialysis again for the last time at Groote Schuur last Friday. His case was reviewed over the weekend.

Leaner said her son was getting better because he had started speaking and eating small amounts of solid food at the weekend.

But, after a meeting with doctors on Wednesday, she was told he would be taken off the treatment.

Steyn admitted that it was uncommon for a 21-year-old to be taken off treatment but said that the matter had been "empathetically considered at the highest possible level".

She said the criteria for chronic renal dialysis were drafted and adopted at provincial and national level to determine which patients would best benefit from the very scarce resource.

Steyn could not comment on Adrian's case specifically, due to confidentiality clauses, but said fitness for transplantation was the main consideration in any review.

"The decision to stop chronic dialysis is very unusual and not taken lightly. This requires that the patient's medical condition must allow major surgery to be undertaken," she explained, adding that the decision was also generally based on a number of other factors too.

But Leaner remains dissatisfied.

"It's really heartbreaking because they can't give us a proper reason for stopping his treatment," she said.

She had no answers to give to her son, who wanted to know why he had not yet received treatment this week.

But Steyn countered that the family was briefed on the exact reasons treatment would be stopped. In addition, Adrian's doctors were willing to further engage with the family, and clarify the decision.

"I don't believe this. He is getting better. But they are leaving him to die," said Leaner.

She said she would only be able to arrange private treatment for him in mid-January.

"But he can't wait that long. He won't make it. It's terrible to just watch your child like that," she said.

In the private sector, dialysis costs between R2 000 and R800 per session.

Leaner said a family friend has donated R850 towards a session.

"We are very grateful for that, but it only covers one session."

Leaner vowed to continue to fight the decision to take her son off the treatment.

* This article was originally published on page 9 of The Cape Argus on December 11, 2009
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=125&art_id=vn20091211130648368C210310

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

I honestly do not know what to say to this. It is so scary for all dialysis patients when they read some thing like this. It will bring up lots of questions. I hope the family can get help for their son.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »

A horrible story!

Galvo
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »

Does anyone know the outcome of this sad story!

Talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
goofball

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »

He died a couple of months later.

February 17 - February 23, 2010

A YOUNG transplant patient whose quest for a new kidney was championed by The Southern Cross, has died. Adrian Leaner, 22, (pictured) parishioner of Our Lady of the Assumption parish in Brooklyn, Cape Town, succumbed to hypoglycaemia, a condition associated with diabetes when blood- sugar reaches very low levels, which starves the brain and renders the sufferer comatose, his mother said. Imelda Leaner said the diabetes was a by-product of the kidney disease that he had inherited. Along with his elder brother, Emile, Adrian suffered from a genetic disorder, Alport Syndrome, which is characterised by deafness, eye problems and kidney disease, and which is known to skip a generation, so Mrs Leaner is not affected. The Southern Cross successfully supported both Adrian’s and Emile’s quests for new kidneys.[...] Mrs Leaner said Adrian’s trans- planted kidney lasted much longer than his brother's, and the chance of receiving a new kidney fell through at the last minute. Last September, despite dialysis his new kidney weakened further and his body became susceptible to secondary infection.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:23:21 PM »

Taken from the article
"Steyn admitted that it was uncommon for a 21-year-old to be taken off treatment but said that the matter had been "empathetically considered at the highest possible level".

She said the criteria for chronic renal dialysis were drafted and adopted at provincial and national level to determine which patients would best benefit from the very scarce resource.

Steyn could not comment on Adrian's case specifically, due to confidentiality clauses, but said fitness for transplantation was the main consideration in any review.

"The decision to stop chronic dialysis is very unusual and not taken lightly. This requires that the patient's medical condition must allow major surgery to be undertaken," she explained, adding that the decision was also generally based on a number of other factors too."

This is just wrong.  Knowing full well that withholding dialysis guaranteed this person would soon die, because he wasn't healthy enough for surgery, another transplant.

What, they don't have D Clinics to maintain him like what is done here in the U.S. and many other countries?
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »

How sad the ending.

Thank You goofball and Charlie B53,

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »

Personally, I'd like to die quickly.  I don't want to hang on, suffering, as I've done too much already.  I went through some really tough times this winter, and there was a few times I was ready to go, mentally and emotionally.  I'm not afraid to die. I'm down with Jesus.  In fact, I look forward to reuniting with old friends and family that have already passed.  It's amazing, at 61, how many people I've seen come and go through this world.  Then again, I enjoy my life, my wife, my walks by the golf course, along the beach, my reading, my television shows, my stocks, my friends, and so I'm in no hurry either.  Things are going well, but you never know what's around the bend.
christian2170

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »

I Know one thing. If that was my kid and those doctors told me that. The doctors would be meeting up with him later on. That is an absolute and unequivocally against the Hippocratic oath they take. That has to do with money and nothing else.   :rant;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »