I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 05:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Alarm 38
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alarm 38  (Read 11819 times)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« on: June 07, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »

:flower;  I need to know if anyone has experienced a Red 38 alarm on their cycler.  Ours has been doing it quite a bit the last few tx's.  And tomorrow they are sending a new cycler.

We have had this cycler for a year now.  It has never really been a problem until recently. It alarms 38 during tx's 3 to 4 times.  Support has had me do alot of things to solve it, but no go!  Tonight I started tx again and this time it alarmed 38 during prime.  He hadnt even been hooked yet.  So after several 38's & tech on the line, finally got machine to tx him and 5minutes in it alarmed 38. So they asked me to use bags.  I did and a few minutes in it alarmed again.

Anyone, like Greg 10 or others who have experienced this and have any suggestions as to what may have happened?
CRAZY!!!!!

Thanks,

lmunchkin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:50:15 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:29:05 PM »

I had to go look up alarm 38.... never had that one....    I have had my machine for a year and half now .... no problems....knock on Wood....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:45:29 AM »

We also went through the red 38 nightmare.  Our cycler had been with us for about 7 months and after several calls to tech support, another unit was sent out. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
greg10

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:58:20 AM »

Hi lmunchkin.  Checking my notes on this:

NxStage alarms 37, 38  High balance chamber pressure

Cause:  Drain line occluded, Therapy line occluded or clotted filter.

Fix:  check for close clamps or cap on drain line, check for close clamps on therapy line.  Check for kinked line on dialyzer.

If you are getting this even while priming, it is unlikely a clotted filter (unless kinked line on dialyzer due to some manufacture defect.  Take a note of that and see if this has been happening with a particular batch of cartridges.

In general, the most common causes are occluded drain or therapy lines.  Have you flushed your drain line lately?  Your clinic may have given you a 50 ml syringe which you can fill with cleaning solution of bleach or vinegar - do this well after the patient has finished dialyzing.  Some NxStage users have attached adapters to a hose and faucet so that they can flush the drain line regularly with high pressure water.

:flower;  I need to know if anyone has experienced a Red 38 alarm on their cycler.  Ours has been doing it quite a bit the last few tx's.  And tomorrow they are sending a new cycler.

We have had this cycler for a year now.  It has never really been a problem until recently. It alarms 38 during tx's 3 to 4 times.  Support has had me do alot of things to solve it, but no go!  Tonight I started tx again and this time it alarmed 38 during prime.  He hadnt even been hooked yet.  So after several 38's & tech on the line, finally got machine to tx him and 5minutes in it alarmed 38. So they asked me to use bags.  I did and a few minutes in it alarmed again.

Anyone, like Greg 10 or others who have experienced this and have any suggestions as to what may have happened?
CRAZY!!!!!

Thanks,

lmunchkin

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:38:29 AM »

We had that a few weeks ago and was up most of the night with a tec, he could not do any thing and like your self we had to revert to a manual bag in the night. Found out it was an air lock in the PD cassette. Nothing would have moved it. If we have the problem again I would strip the machine down and start all over again, it would be quicker.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »

Greg, we did all of that.  Support even had me remove waste line from pureflow and let it drain in a 5 gallon bucket. That was a "trip", but it still alarmed. Then Tues. night when I set up to Tx him again, It alarmed all through prime mode. Weirdest thing I ever saw.  What normally takes 15 minutes probably took 45 or more before we got to where we could hook up.  Then when he got hooked up it did it 5min. in.

Support said to do hanging bags and if alarmed then they were gonna send new cycler. Sure enough, it alarmed.

The new cycler arrived by courier about 2:30pm.  He put it up on stand for me and left.  So I got perimeters settings in and he has been dialysising ever since 6:00 pm.  No problems at all.

I also tried a different set of cartiliges from another Lot, but still 38.  Also, Greg, after all that, when I toggled to get numbers, it said the amount of time he had been dialysised was 16min.  When I saw that, I knew something had sent the "brains into scramble".  Yeap, was time for a new one!  But #11854 bit the dust and #8844 is working just fine. May it have many more tx's in store.

You guys would be proud of me, cause usually I get so frustrated, but I was real Cool this time!  Hubby saying "Whew!!!!!

lmunchkin    :flower;

greg10

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »

:bow; :bow; :bow;  Sounds like you got it under control.  Great job.  :beer1;

Sometimes these things just wear out - you'd never know if a pump will go or a bearing gets loose - any time the effluent dialysate doesn't drain properly for what ever reason you can get #37 & #38 alarms with pressure backing up.
.. Yeap, was time for a new one!  But #11854 bit the dust and #8844 is working just fine. May it have many more tx's in store.

You guys would be proud of me, cause usually I get so frustrated, but I was real Cool this time!  Hubby saying "Whew!!!!!

lmunchkin    :flower;

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »

i am proud of you lmunchkin!!  I get proud of myself when i keep my cool too  :2thumbsup;   This is why we do our tx in the morning or by early aft..  Im no good in the eve  :(    So glad you got it worked out  and that it didnt effect your emotions too bad... All is good in nxStage land  :flower;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »

Thanks Boswife and all is good in NxStage land.  The reason I do evenings is because I work during the day, otherwise, I would do am or noon, but someone has to make the money!  Not complaining one bit though.  We are so Blessed by our God beyond all measures!

Isn't it neat, when we finally get this D thing?  Not saying it's fun, but when we get it, yea we should feel proud of ourselves!  Don't you think?

lmunchkin   :flower;

Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »

Glad your new machine solved your issues.

For others looking for answers, her are a few more ways to look for the reasons you get a red 38

Make sure your drain line is not too long. Drain line max is about 3 lengths long

When you are using your PureFlow drain line, you don’t need to switch to bags, or drain in a bucket (although a bucket is a quick way to start your treatment again). You can use the PureFlow for dialysate and hook up a drain line manually

You can also use the bucket while you or your partner flushes the PureFlow line

Using the bucket trick is a good way to get the alarm to stop ringing when you call for help
Sometimes you unclamped the yellow clamps, but it leaves a kink in the line. Move the clamp down away from the place it was clamped and massage the area the clamp was

Here is to a Red Alarm free treatment

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
rocker

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »

We keep a bathroom-sized waste basket between the bed and the machine.

It's handy for those "DAMMIT!" 38s...and for the occasional bout of nausea.

- rocker
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »