I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:28:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  How has the new Medicare payment to doctors plan affected the waiting time?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How has the new Medicare payment to doctors plan affected the waiting time?  (Read 1968 times)
KraigG

I feel like I'm on the Dark Side of The Moon.

« on: March 07, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »

Had my transplant almost 20 years ago, now I find my kidney failing, and my pancreas had been yanked almost 10 years ago. Since going on dialysis in 1990, Medicare has been my only insurance, and I've had nothing ever denied to me, and very little in the form of co-pays.

A couple of weeks ago, it was announced that the Medicare payments to doctors was decreasing by 20%. How will this affect my position on the waiting list? I can just imagine that, all other things equal, any hospital in the US would rather go with a patient that has private insurance that pays them more than the measly amounts that Medicare pays. Of course, I'm sure no doctor or hospital would ever admit to doing this, but it makes you wonder.

Thoughts?

First bout on dialysis: June, 1990
Kidney/Pancreas transplant: August, 1990
Pancreas removed (hospital error): January, 2001
Kidney fails: August, 2011
Second round of dialysis: August, 2011
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:14:12 AM »

I agree with you 100% that we will never know what goes on behind the scenes, but if the Liberal Media ever got a hold of it they would be trashed.  So, I think the way the list is prioritized will stay the same.

But, the way the list is prioritized is a lot different than 20 years ago.  Now there are Regions so your organ usually comes from that "Region" instead of anywhere.  You need to go to the UNOS website and read up on how they do that.  http://www.unos.org/kars.asp

KraigG

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:44 AM »

Rerun, I will go to the Midwest for my transplant surgery, since the wait out here in California is many, many years, since there are so many people on it. My family is in the Chicago area, so that's where I will have my surgery. Doesn't hurt, either, that the head of the kidney/pancreas transplant department is a guy I went to high school with :)

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:21:19 AM »

The wait time in Los Angeles is 5 -7 years for a kidney. In San Diego it is 2 - 4 years. The time is shorter for pancreas/kidney transplants. I don't know how long the wait is in Chicago, but I think it may be similar to San Diego. You can be multiple listed at more than one procurement area, so just get the California one done, then the other will go much quicker.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KraigG

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:09 AM »

Karol, that's too long of a wait. I was quoted 18 months in Chicago for the K/P. I'm not a young guy anymore, though I was when I had my first transplant. I can't imagine being on dialysis for that long!

I was in Chicago last March, and went through all the tests at the hospital where I'm listing. All I've been doing here in LA is waiting for my creatinine clearance level to drop to 20%, which it did last Tuesday. I'm getting the dental exam and colonoscopy done locally, then I'm on the list.

If I'm lucky, I can avoid dialysis completely, though that's only a slim chance.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »