I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:38:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  NXstage travel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NXstage travel  (Read 2564 times)
supporter

« on: April 11, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »

Hi everyone,

My wife (who is about to start dialysis, and we hope Nxstage soon) and I  live in the Chicago area, and we often like to take short trips up to Michigan, etc, which is about 3-8 hours by car, depending on where we go, and rent a condo.  How easy is it to travel with Nxstage in the car?  What's involved?

Thanks for the advice!
supporter

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »

P.S.  What about peripherals, such as masks, needles, etc?  By the way, my wife is Moosemom, who's the most conscientious patient in the world.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:38 PM »

Traveling by car is pretty straight forward - the main thing for some people is the weight of the machine - 75 pounds. If you can lift that in and out of the car then the rest can be dealt with through organization and planning..

You need space for the bags of dialysate - the dialysate can ride in a roof rack. If you were going for a multi-week road trip you'd need a trailer or you'd need to plan on resupplying along the way. It's all very doable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:41:10 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:13:40 AM »

We have several members who've traveled with the Nxstage but Bill is a serious gadabout!  I'm in Canada and we don't have Nxstage but I'm very happy to see you posting here, supporter.  I hope that MooseMom will find some peace with this whole business as time goes on but having support from people close to us is a huge factor in the process.  Your ability to listen to her fears and be stedfast are crucial and comforting despite the fact that "solutions" are somewhat elusive.  I'm glad she has you. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »

i take mine with me all the time.....   its just heavy......   I can move it my self but it take work.... two people and it not a problems ..... just get it and lift it in the car.... or truck or what ever.....  Supplies are the biggest problems......  boxes of dialysate and then a all the supplies.......   Its like packing for 10 kids going camping.....but I love it and like to go......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »