I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 06:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Diabetes and Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Diabetes and Transplant  (Read 1973 times)
jvarnold

« on: March 19, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »

B/f has high blood sugar (100-160's). He feels normal and controls higher blood sugar with Novolog and Lantis at night. Does anyone else have high blood sugar/diabetes that had a transplant and are there any complications during or after transplant? I know some of the meds can cause diabetes so I suppose he would have to learn to take care of it now. He's pretty let down to know you can still have diabetes even after transplant.  :(
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »

Is he type 1 or 2 diabetic is my first question, but guessing type one even though type 2 can be treated the same way. Type 1 diabetics can have a kidney and pancreas transplant, while type 2 diabetics are not allowed. If he is Type 1 diabetic, his sugars are hard to control from highs to lows (hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia), and has other diabetic complications, then maybe a kidney and pancreas transplant might be something to consider and talk over with a transplant team.

My blood sugars ran high at night, I could not feel low (hypoglycemia) attacks coming on, along with neuropathy and vision problems, then kidney failure. The transplant was my best option in my opinion.

As far as complications after transplant, for the diabetic part, new complications will not start, but if they have already started, they will develope more slowly. However this is with a kidney and pancreas transplant. Healthwise,  we will all react differently (see previous post from jbeany, run8). For me I lost my appetite and the feeling of becoming hungry. It is harder for me to eat and drink ( I will get nauseated if I try to force myself to eat and eventually  :puke;  if I do not take a break from eating or drinking), recovery is somewhat harder after getting sick (low immune system),, and somethings the doctors do not know the cause of, but treat it as best as possible and I get better.

Any questions, just ask
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:46:04 AM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jvarnold

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »

He has type 2 diabetes and he takes insulin every night before bed.. After he eats something his blood sugar occasionally goes up to the 250-270's. The doctors said its expected to be high after you eat but that's scary. I've heard everyones range of "normal" blood sugar varies on the person and also with medications. He's tried taking cinnamon to help regulate his blood sugar but to no avail! Thanks for the reply!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:14:35 PM »

Yes, the normal value is different for each person to a given range.  Blood sugars going up after eating is normal, but I would check blood sugar 2 hours after eating to see if it has come down. How high it goes depends on what one is eating, juice will shoot it up quick, carbohydrates slower, followed by protein the slowest. So a usual snack would be a crackers/ bread and a protein such as cheese/lunchmeat. In the case of renbal failure, the old stand by is a low salt turkey sandwich since cheese and peanut butter are not good on a renal diet unless values are low.

I'm sure he is on blood pressure meds to right?

As for the transplant, one thing comes to mind. It is the immunosuppressants (anti-rejection) used. Some will raise blood sugar such as the steroid prdnisone, while the newer non steroid medications (CellCept, Myfortic, Prograf, rapamune)have a less effect. However it depends on the transplant centers protocol on what meds they use. Some use only steroids, some use steroids for a bit and wean you off, but still on non steroid, non steroids with a low dose of prednison, and then never being on steroids. So if there are a couple transplant centers in the area and they have seminars on their transplant program, I would have him go to each one if possible to learn and ask questions.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jvarnold

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:20:48 PM »

He isn't on blood pressure medications; his blood pressure/temperature have always been normal. We're in Texas we're going to have the transplant through Texas Transplant Institute in San Antonio and they have a no steriod med program. He checked his blood sugar a couple hours after he ate and it was at 252. The signal that his blood sugar is high is he has pressure behind his eyes. Fortunatly, he doesn't have any eye problems. Will exercise help in controlling the high rise throughout the day? 
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »

Exercise can help if done for a period of time. I forgot the time figures to when the body releases sugar into the body which would show up on a glucose test. Body releases energy for the muscles to use, but if you stop, then one might feel the back up of energy released if not used. I can't fully explain it correctly without getting the books out where I read about it. Of course to much exercise can cause a drop in blood sugar so it''s always good to care something quick to be absorbed into the body even if one knows their exercise limits.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010