I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:16:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Foot Pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Foot Pain  (Read 1842 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: January 25, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »

Since the weekend I have been having pain (enough to hinder my walking significantly) on the top of my left foot right at the base of my toes.  At first I thought maybe I had broke or cracked something, but 1) I have done nothing to break a bone and 2) there's no swelling, bruising, etc.  I'm thinking now that I have somehow sprained my foot/toes somehow.  I remember when the pain began and I was simply walking in the driveway.  No stumble, no fall, no twisting...nothing.  It just simply started hurting and it has progressively gotten worse.  It hurts to touch the area, but again no bruising or swelling.  When I wear my Crocs the pain is significantly better, so I've been wearing those everywhere and not going barefoot around the house.  Sometimes the pain radiates up to my knee, but the pain is primarily on the top of the foot.

If this is possibly a stress fracture or something I guess it could be due to Prednisone.  Right?  I've only been on Prednisone for 1 year.  Is that even long enough to weaken bones enough to crack something without trauma?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:17:27 PM by kellyt » Logged

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:17:17 PM »

I don't have any answers for you Kelly but I too have been having a lot of pain in my feet for a couple of months now.  Mine is a bit different than yours though.  My right heel is awful at times, burning and hurting sometimes even when I'm not walking.  I suspect plantar fasciitis.  I already wear custom orthotics as I have two of the highest arches ever imaginable and that can be problematic.  All the toes on my right foot feel distinctly odd, almost as if swollen and the joints as well as the ball of that foot can be quite painful.  I'm concerned about persistent inflammation, have never had these issues before but I'm seeing a rheumatologist in February so I'll let you know what she thinks.  I've also had a flare up with carpal tunnel, both hands and a very sore joint at where the thumb meets the wrist on the right hand.  I may eventually have that joint removed all together.  I'm very curious whether this has anything to do with transplant and meds or just aging.  Oh joy oh bliss.  My bone density has decreased significantly from the 10 months of D before my 2nd transplant. 
I go to the gym and work right through the foot pain and do find that the more I move and wiggle the toes the more the pain will subside and give me a break. 
Could you have irritated a nerve on the top of your foot by wearing shoes that pressed down too much on that area of the foot?

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:25:16 PM »

Oh, Monrein, I've had plantar fasciitis and it is horrible.  I feel horrible for you.   I had it in my left heal first and after what seemed like forever, it stopped.  I did the cortizone shots in the heal and that gave me relief for all of about 2 weeks - maybe.  Then it started in my right heal.  The morning was the worse and it got more manageable throughout the day.  After a week of mostly lying down in the hospital after transplant my heal pain went away.  My feet felt great after that good rest.  Since we moved into this new home (manufactured home/double wide trailor) I find my self walking funny especially at night because I can't stand the hollow sound my steps make when off the carpet.  I'm beginning to think I have now strained something due to that.  Both my feet hurt so bad, but my left feels the most painful.  It's on the top and the bottom.  If it were age that wouldn't surprise me in the least.  I've always had bad feet do to the way I walk (outside of my feet) and from years of dance.  My feet are wide, high arches and my toes are permanently curved under.  I need to stop walking barefoot in the house.  I need to keep my Crocs with me all the time.  I also put some gel things in my tennis shoes and that does help, but not all day.  :(

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »

I don't know Kelly like I said the other night reminds me a lot of gout.  All except the the shoe helping, lost me there. Gout nothing helps. And I mean nothing. Have you still not gone to the doctor yet?  You need to go.  And while your there if x-ray doesn't show anything ask them to draw your uric acid levels. GOOD LUCK!

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »

Manda, I've had gout and you're so right that nothing (except drugs) helps with that.  I mean even a sheet over the gouty toe is agony.  I know the current pain I'm having isn't gout.

Kelly, I've been told that high arches create rigidity in the foot, and lots of resulting pressure on heels and balls of the feet and that the arches tend to collapse over time as we age (long ago, it was the start of an arch collapsing that led me to custom orthotics).  Maybe you could think about a podiatrist and an assessment for orthotics.   I know, I know...more money out the window and I hear ya, but your insurance might cover them.   I've had to pay for mine over the years but I find them essential for me.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »

I've had alot of foot pain too. When it was nice out and I was walking in the evenings my feet really hurt. I get cramping in my feet too. I wonder if the meds play a part in this.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

I'll look into it.  I have to do something. Between my feet and my back, my quality of life is severely suffering.  I'm hoping to get my back done this year.  I've talked to my post transplant doc and he has a back surgeon that he highly recommends that is familiar with transplants so I don't have to go through the same thing Donnia did with medication screw ups and such.

What is so strange about the pain on my left foot, which is worse than the right, is that it's on the top of the foot.  I looked up gout and I don't think this is what I have.  But I will definitely call the doc.

Thanks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »