I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  1 2 3 , have a donor
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1 2 3 , have a donor  (Read 2470 times)
bountyhunter_ga

I love to cook

« on: December 07, 2009, 06:59:02 AM »

Boy it's harder than I thought, even with a donor who is a match. What do we do when we keep getting sicker the hospital keeps putting us off because my donor still needs to loose 10 lbs.

My donor has lost over 20 lbs and look great, but its not enough for the hospital. They want no chances of anything going wrong with any patient.

I think if the the Kidney was on the other foot the doctor would be pulling strings to get this done.

My fiscula was all clogged up last week and we went back into surgery again to make this work. Doc says this would probably be the last time we could work on the fiscula.

Doesn't anyone care in the hospital system, it's hard enough to find a donor that will see it through with you and it seems like the hospital is trying to destroy that.

I would like the transplant while I'm still alive.

Edited: Moved to Transplant section - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:12:04 AM by okarol » Logged

Bountyhunter_ga
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:17:32 AM »

Every transplant team has different requirements. The goal is to protect the donor from harm while giving the patient the best chance for a favorable outcome. Because there is dialysis the hospital has time to delay until they feel it's time to go forward. If your fistula doesn't work they'd put in a chest catheter until surgery, so hopefully you'll stay healthy enough to wait until the transplant. I am sorry it's been so frustrating. Best wishes that things progress smoothly.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »

Good luck - you'll get there!

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:56:18 PM »

I can understand your frustrations but most likely not as much as you. You HAVE a donor. I watched a documentary about the process of getting a kidney transplant and it seems as if there's an awful lot to go through.Some of the donors were turned down. I know how badly you want that kidney, but I know that you want your donor's health not to be compromised either. Getting a vital organ from someone else. It's strange, yet so amazing! Concentrate on you and your health in the mean time. I want this all to work out for you. Do you have any idea on a TP date? "Hey Y'all" lol. Pretty cool you got to meet Paula Dean! Hang in there Bounty

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
bountyhunter_ga

I love to cook

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »

Thank you all, I know we all go through this in different ways to have a favorable outcome.
The last think I want is a chest catheter  the fear of infection is greater with that.
It's just the appearance that I have to keep up at work is getting greater that it was a year ago.

You guys have been great to keep me on the straight and narrow, sometimes I believe you understand me better than all my friends around that just want to be sympathetic, I don't need that.

I hope to be here for each and everyone who may need me someday,,,

Bountyhunter_ga
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »

Anytime someone is one step closer to getting a transplant, it gives me hope.   4 years on the list and donor after donor denied, so I get very excited for anyone who can see the "golden ring".  Keep your spirits up. Attitude is so important.  We all can see that you have fought very hard for a good transplant center.  I hope this all goes quickly from here on.     And you are here for us all the time and we appreciate it!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »

It will all be worth it.  Hang in there.   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »