I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  your concerns re stem cell
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: your concerns re stem cell  (Read 2214 times)
Everlasting

our community

« on: November 25, 2009, 10:18:29 PM »

Words of caution re stem cells:  I live a life that presents several incredible challenges therefore I have little to be sacrificed as my current quality of life is near intolerable.  It is my hope that the stem cells will reduce seizures, balance disorder, Meniere's Disease, heart disease, deafness and my list goes on.  I am in bed 90% of my waking hours and recently tipped the scales at 70 pounds (this is from the vomiting that occurs with vertigo) etc.  This stem cell stuff will actually be life-saving....I have absolutely nothing to loose.  I need to be strong and present for Victor.  I should mention that I am a medical auditor and Victor a chemist..this privileges us to the ability to research and gather information required to make the decisions we have made.
     I am scheduled to have the procedure done on 2 March 2010.
     Victor has been involved with in a conference call with Texas personnel and was told that he could count on his kidney function to rise to 50% -- and this will last him a lifetime.  This will eliminate his need for dialysis and transplant.  We spent 3 months of 10 - 12 hour searches for donors and that is now behind him.
Everlasting --once again thank you for your words of concern - they are received with the sensitivity in which they were written.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 10:27:43 PM by Everlasting » Logged
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:56:20 AM »

Everlasting, I did not realise that you are also ill, I don't know why, I just thought you were the carer for Victor. It seems that you are both carers for each other. it must be hard. I really hope the stem cell thing will help both of you. I pray that it does.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 01:39:19 PM »

Everlasting,
I also did not realize that you both are so unwell...
I do hope the stem-cell-treatment is the right way forward,
and I send you my kindest regards...
and my best wishes...
good luck from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
*kana*

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

Hi,  I wish you all the best in your upcoming procedure.  I am all for stem cell use and the many benefits that it has. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:56:56 PM »

Good luck. Please keep us updated.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
st789

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »

Good Luck.
Wallyz

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 11:49:25 PM »

My concerns with stems cells are the clinical results of serious and rapidly growing tumors in patients who have had stem cells implanted, and the very fuzzy understanding of the biology of cell differentiation.  I was at a diabetes conference in August, and one of the leading researchers in cell biology of the Pancreas in the world was talking about the differentiation of the cells in the developing pancreas, and he had a chart that showed the various stages.  There were two sections where he said "Something important happens here- we're not sure what".
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »