I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:41:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Protein suppliments
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protein suppliments  (Read 4779 times)
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« on: November 25, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »

I have been on hemo dialysis since February of 2007.  In all that time my albumin has been below 4 when I get my labs back.  I eat meat. fish,  and eggs at every meal.  My last lab this month had my albumin at 3.8 which is up from 3.6.  I have been adding a product called "ProCel" to my food. This was suggested to me by the dietician at the clinic I was at for over 2 years.  ProCel, if you are unfamiliar with it, is a powder that comes in pre measured packets.  It is suppose to have 5 grams of protein in each packet.
     The dietician at my new clinic, when I moved in July, prefered I use a powder called "Whey", but the times I have tired this it made me ill and I couldn't keep it down.  I am not one prone to throwing up either.  In other words I do it rarely.  Also the Nephr started me on a drink called "Nepro" while in the clinic.  This and the "ProCel" seemed to have brought my albumin up to the 3.8.  But now they have "cut me off" the "Nepro".  No explination given.  I have found it available locally, and wonder if I should get some and use it at home to help boost my number. 
    Also, would anyone have any other ideas how to incrase my albumin?   
    I should add that I do not have any  infections, open wounds, or internal bleeding to account for the low albumin.  These things have been checked and are closely monitored.
     My hemoglobin is 12.  My protein catabolic rate is only .99 and I know it needs to be 1.1 or gtrater.  So I know I am not taking in enough protein. 
     Thanks.

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »

Hubby was going through the same and the suggestion from our nutritionalist was also the WHEY protein.  The said to get the " super advanced whey protein" from walmart. (Body fortress) and vanella was our choice.   It's a 2 lb size and much more directed at our needs (less phosphoris more protein) than the much smaller package we got at a health food store at 3 X the cost.  Anyway, i'll tell you how i do it for him and mabie it would work  for you.  (dont know how you tried using so this is just a suggestion)  So, I take about a cup of smallish ice cubes, 1/4 cup orange juce (hubby ok with that so check with your #'s) one smallish scoop of the powder and blend up until either like a slushy, or more chunky.  Hubby likes it a bit chunky and eats with a spoon for a treat each day....He IS a gagger over things like this normaly and he loves it.. We havent gotton our #'s done since he's been on it, but hoping for improvement.  It is pretty good and flufs up so it looks like more than it is, but it ends up not that much towards his fluid intake.  Also, just thinking, you could actually use the strawbery and not add any juce i bet..  The orange one tastes just like the old Orange julies (sp)  YUM!!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »

There is a huge amount of various whey protein powders on the market.

Some people do have problems holding down or digesting some brands vs others.

Make sure to always check to see what the potassium, phosphorus and sodium levels are in each brand as they can vary from flavor to flavor and from brand to brand.  Also make sure its a true protein powder, and not a gainer mix.

You might check a store like GNC for the various brands they carry,  Try to get 1 serving packs to try them out to see if you agree with you.  If the local store doesnt have them contact the manufacture directly.  I have got free samples from various manufactures before. 

Of whey protein the ones I like best are:  EAS , Optimum Nutrition, Designer Whey as most of their flavors taste good and mix well, usually no need for a blender, just a shaker.

Some people cannot handle whey at all.

If that is the case there is also egg protein powders and soy protein powders on the market.  though I have found the flavors and taste can be less than desirable for me.

Again however, check the potassium, phosphorus and sodium levels per serving to insure you can incorporate them into your diet.

Body Fortress is also pretty decent for the price.
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 06:52:43 AM »

Thanks for the information and help.  I got Nepro at dialysis on Thanksgiving, so I guess they have me back on that. 

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
calypso

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:27:41 AM »

I'm not a big fan of the Nepro. I took it while I was in the hospital recovering from peritonitis, and it was ok, but then i looked at the ingredients list. As you know the ingredients are in order from most abundant to least amount and these are the first few ingredients in it: Water, Corn Syrup Solids, Caseinates (Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium), High Oleic Safflower Oil, Canola Oil, Milk Protein Isolate...

How is that good for you? corn syrup is just a sweetener, calcium magnesium and sodium? do we really need those? and then the oils. Finally we get to the good stuff, milk protien isolates. More good less bad next time k? thx.

Then you got the Whey protien powders they sell in the health food stores which I'm sure you've seen. I tried one, not too happy with it's flavor. Good for you yeah, but if you can't tolerate the taste and hence never drink it what good is it?

The only whey protien I like so far is the Detour protien bars. The best tasting one is Caramel Peanut, but it has a lot of dark choclate which is high in phosphorous so you have to remember your phosphate binders with those. The other one I like a lot is White chocolate peanut butter, it tastes good, not sure of the phos content of white chocolate as opposed to dark, but still need the phos binders anyway. Only problem is they are very expensive, but like I say about  olive oil, you can pay more now or you can pay your cardiologist later. I'd rather pay more for good food now.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »

I tried Nepro but had a problem with the sugar alcohol content, so I switched to Novasource Renal.  Kind of expensive.
http://www.walgreens.com/search/results.jsp?Ntt=novasource+renal

As BigSky posted, there are several powders available that work well.

Also, here are some other IHD threads about protein you may find interesting.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=11799.msg275136#msg275136

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10191.msg175486#msg175486

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=4820.msg71200#msg71200

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1196.msg57594#msg57594

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1277.msg15123#msg15123

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »