I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 01:03:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Christmas Dinner
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christmas Dinner  (Read 4297 times)
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« on: January 01, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »

I have been baking etc. for Christmas for 30 years.  I make special Brownies, something called Texas Trash, (It is like Chex mix with spices the oil from an lb of bacon, pretzels, cheese crackers, salt and a LOT of nuts.) Fudge, and all kinds  of cookies. Last year I didn't even test the various goodies. This year I did. I made a couple of pumpkin pies, a big pecan pie, A coconut Cream pie. . . I ate like there was no tomorrow. Had a piece or two of each of the pies, Sweet potatoes w/marshmallows. I had Ham and everything that I wasn't supposed to have. I knew that labs were going to be drawn on the Saturday after, and I was thinking about what I was going to say, but on Wed. I got my results and I got a "star" with GREAT LABS! written beside the star. I'm not thinking that I should just go hog wild and eat what I want to all of the time but I was so waiting for the dietitian to come up to me and rip me a new one. But she didn't. Today, I made a corned beef, black eye peas, cabbage and had a piece of cheese cake. Tomorrow there won't be any labs drawn. Back to being a good boy.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »

Friends thought they could buy me off and not have to spend New Year with me if they shower me with all kinds of favorite foods.  I had Honduran tamales, Salvadorian Tamales, artichoke and Jalapeno dips, flat breads, fresh baked breads, a Godiva chocolate basket of good, a Hickory Farms basket of goodies, two new bottles of booze (still  haven't opened last years), etc. etc.  I'm sick at my stomach.  Bet the dietician won't say "you have to eat more" this time.  Oh yea,  It all had to be washed down with coke and/or ice water and/or egg nog (booze from year before last).

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »

Carl gained a kilo - not fluid! I'm not saying anything about what I gained. He gets labs drawn on Thursday. Good boy until then!  :rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »

I made a pig of myself and lost 300gms. Go figure!

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »

Sometimes I think they are pulling our legs with this diet. I went to see my neph in Nov, after 3 months of being in a funk and thinking what the hell, and the bloodwork was better than it has been, my GFR even went up 1 point. I was overjoyed at this, but still, I just dont understand.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 05:47:24 AM »

Going to dialysis shortly and I gained 4 kilos ... the most every.  I knew I should never have taken that h1n1 vacination.  I'm eating like a pig.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »

Not to burst any bubbles but our dietician said it takes about 21 days for bad eating habits to show up in the labs.  So....take that with a grain (or shaker full) of salt and a lump (or pan full) of sugar! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 06:45:22 AM »

Whew... I made a mistake thank goodness.  Scale was set on Pounds not  Kilos....So I gained 4 pounds (better huh).....

Goofy

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 06:51:40 AM »

Sorry guys, but I agree with LooneytunesI think it may catch up to you in a few day.  I'm sure it was fun while it lasted!!!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »

Hubby has gained weight over Christmas!!  Not sure how much but my guess is about 2 kilos.  We have had to bring his weight up almost every night because his blood pressure has been low!!  It was still low this morning so he needs to go up more!!!  He is on nocturnal and he can eat whatever he wants because he does so much dialysis!!  I have not gained much - maybe a lb or 2.  Back to my weigh in group on Wednesday evening for me!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
pdpatty

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »

I believe it has to do a lot with the patient. I retain potassium. One weekend this past summer,we had cataloupe and potato chips with sanwiches. My potassium level hit 5.9.
There are some at the center who eat what they want ,drink what they want and it doesn't bother them, If I drink 1 glass too much  liiquid,I pay for it.

We are all different.
hurlock1

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »

Going to dialysis shortly and I gained 4 kilos ... the most every.  I knew I should never have taken that h1n1 vacination.  I'm eating like a pig.
I took it too! Is there something about the h1n1 vaccine that makes you hungry?
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

Duh... no, only that is was called the "pig" flu.... made me eat like a  pig.  Poor, aparently, attempt at a little humor.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »

Swine flu - eating like a pig!    :rofl;    :rofl;     :rofl;   I got it, Dan!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:10:33 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Epofriend

This is what happens in Vegas!

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »

Not to burst any bubbles but our dietician said it takes about 21 days for bad eating habits to show up in the labs.  So....take that with a grain (or shaker full) of salt and a lump (or pan full) of sugar!

This look like a dietician playing mind games. Based on my own labs historically, I see the effect of diet immediately.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:18 AM »

Oh, I know, this can not last. Sometimes I think I am still in denial. It was nice while it lasted tho.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
hurlock1

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 04:22:39 AM »

Duh... no, only that is was called the "pig" flu.... made me eat like a  pig.  Poor, aparently, attempt at a little humor.
Duh. . . I guess I'm a little slow.
hurlock1

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »

Well, I told my dietitian what you said (back when this issue was currant. Monday she came in and said that my numbers were still good, that the twenty one day rule must not have applied.
jmz
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »