I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  I feel very fortunate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I feel very fortunate  (Read 5577 times)
kidneysblowingchunks

Be alert! The world needs more lerts!

« on: December 01, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »

After exploring many of the messages on IHD about the various experiences people have had with dialysis, centers, etc. I feel very fortunate.

Sarasota Physician's Dialysis Center is excellent. Wi-Fi, allowing food, and a competent staff to boot!

I greatly enjoy the time I spend here on IHD.
Some of the posts I read are so tragic, yet there are some good things here too. The people here are great!

The humor area is first-rate. I laughed my @$$ off at some of the posts.

I am still in the catheter stage. Frankly I am scared of the needles when they come.

Moved from Off Topic to Dialysis Centers - Rerun, Moderator

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:10:51 AM by Rerun » Logged

On in-center Dialysis since 10-19-09
Fistula in use since 3/1/10
I hate it when they set the profile on the dialyzer to "Beef Jerky"!
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

Oh no, that means there are two good dialysis centers in the US.  I'll give a positive shout out to Medical Center Davita in Houston  -- huge place with large staff and I've only had to taze one of them.  There must be more.  We've heard about all the bad places so I'd like to see people step up and give their centers some positive recognition.

When the needles start just use the cream and learn a few new curse words.  You'll get through it.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »

When the needles start just use the cream and learn a few new curse words.  You'll get through it.

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

And ask that the BEST cannulator sticks you!

Make sure you exercise your fistula to help it mature.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kidneysblowingchunks

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »

What is the cream that was mentioned to use before being hooked up by your fistula?

How do I determine the best cannulator? Play a few games of Darts?  :)

(Oh great, now the mod's going to move the topic again.  :banghead;

It would be neat to have the trill of a fistula at your finger tip. Could you imagine being touched in the back of your neck while reading?

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

And ask that the BEST cannulator sticks you!

Make sure you exercise your fistula to help it mature.

Aleta

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »

I can think of other places the trill of a fistula might come in handy.... :shy;

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
kidneysblowingchunks

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01:17 PM »

Hehehe...

Could you imagine what the receiving sensation would feel like for the ladies? ;D

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »

I'll let you know when/if I get a fistula ha a h ah ahha ah ah ah ah

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:15:39 PM »

omg that is sooooooooo wrong on soooooooo many levels (but freaking funny!) :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Don't worry, when you do get your fistula the pulsing gets so strong some days you can feel it even when your not touching it.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »

What is the cream that was mentioned to use before being hooked up by your fistula?

The cream is called Emla cream. You put it all on your fistula VERY THICK about an hour before they stick you. And you put plastic wrap on your arm. It works very well, for me. I've only used it two times though. Ask them for a perscription.

I love my center. I used to go to Children's hospital of Wisconsin, but they didn't let us eat, we had two TV's, and no numbing stuff for my fistula. My new center lets you eat, we have our own TV's, they let me try out different numbing stuff for my fistula, and the staff is super friendly to me! And everyone else there. ;)
Maker

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

I have to give a HUGE shout out to my center too - Blanchard Valley Dialysis in Findlay, OH is amazing and I also enjoy my time there.

All the nurses and techs really truly care about the patients.  They are patient and kind, even to the little old lady who has no idea where she is or why she's there and complains the entire time (very sad  :(

They do their best to honor my requests and make me as comfortable as they can.

When I told them I'm on a site called "I Hate Dialysis", I think they were a bit offended till I explained it  ;)

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:31:10 PM »

Care givers at Med. Center Houston  can also be offended at some of the negativity on certain sites.  However,  I often take my laptop and let them read some of the funny ones.  Even some that were written about them specifically (for you Rosa when you wiped the blood off my pants).  For the most part they have no control over "rules".  For example, we aren't allowed coffee unless we bring it  in and staff has one of those fancey new coffee makers.  Often, when not many people are watching, I'll get a nice cup of hot coffee or, last night on a cold, cold Houston night, a wonderful cup of hot chocolate (no, its not against MY diet).

There are so many lovely people giving up better jobs because they care.  And how fun it  is to learn about Christmas in VietNam or Africa or the Phillipines. 

I am so saddened by the fact that many people in here don't have a positive relationship with their centers,  doctors, etc.  I think there are two vacant chairs at my center. 

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:47:41 PM »

Kidney have you ever thought about needling yourself? I know it sounds nuts, but as scary as it is when others needle you its not half as bad when you do it yourself. Something to think about :)

http://www.kimhoben.com
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 01:22:51 PM »

And Kidney, if you are really concerned about hos the fistula will feel to the ladies, I'd suggest you consult RichardMel.  This is his forte.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 04:13:42 PM »

Kidney have you ever thought about needling yourself? I know it sounds nuts, but as scary as it is when others needle you its not half as bad when you do it yourself. Something to think about :)

KIM...what a thrill to read this post from YOU!!!!  Literally a thrill in my fistula, girl.  I so well remember telling you the very same thing at the start and I know you thought I was some really wacky lunatic type.  Not sayin' you're wrong on that but so thrilled that you discovered this power for yourself. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »