I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:38:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Fistulagram/Fistulaplasty
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistulagram/Fistulaplasty  (Read 9479 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 13, 2007, 03:39:43 PM »

General Info:
A well functioning fistula has a bruit (a pulse that you can hear), a thrill (a pulse that can be felt), and good blood flow. Over time, a fistula can age and develop problems such as scarring or clots, which can decrease the function of the fistula and the effectiveness of dialysis.

One of the ways to improve function and blood flow through the fistula is to have a fistulagram or, if needed, a fistulaplasty.

What are fistulagram and fistulaplasty?

Fistulagram

A fistulagram is a study of a fistula. During a fistulagram, a patient lies on an exam table. The fistula is cleaned and then an injection is given to numb the area. A needle is then placed in the fistula and a wire is put inside the needle. The wire is left in the fistula and the needle is removed, allowing a catheter to be placed over the wire and into the fistula.

Contrast dye is injected through the catheter while X-rays are taken in rapid sequence. This allows the doctors to see how the vein and artery in the fistula are shaped. If nothing is wrong, the catheter is removed and the patient can go home.

Fistulaplasty

If there is a narrowed area, the catheter is exchanged for a special catheter that has a flat balloon on the tip. The balloon area is advanced to the area of narrowing and then the balloon is blown up with sterile water. This balloon inside the fistula expands and therefore expands the area of narrowing in the vein or the artery. This expansion of the vessel with the balloon is called a fistulaplasty.

After the fistulaplasty, another fistulagram is done to see what has happened to the narrowing. In most cases, the narrowing must be expanded several times. On rare occasions, a stent (a small metal-mesh tube) needs to be placed to hold the area of narrowing open.

What should I expect when I arrive at the hospital?

* Check in at the front desk in Imaging Services.
    * You will then change into a hospital gown.
    * You will be given a bag for your belongings. A restroom is available.
    * You will be taken to a special area where a nurse will see you and ask you questions about your health history.
    * An IV (intravenous line) will be started to give you fluid and medicine during the procedure.
    * The radiology doctor will see you in this area to discuss the procedure and obtain your consent.
    * You will be able to ask any questions you have at this time.

How does the procedure work?

The nurse will stay with you during the procedure to watch your blood pressure, heart rate, breathing rate, and comfort level.

A radiology technologist will clean your skin with a special soap and may shave some hair in the areas that the doctor will be working on.

X-rays are taken while the contrast moves through your blood vessel. The X-rays show where an artery or vein might be blocked, narrowed, leaking, or enlarged.

If any area of concern is noted, a fistulaplasty will be done.

After the procedure, the catheter is removed and a pressure bandage will be placed over the puncture site. This step takes about 10 to 15 minutes depending on how long it takes your blood to clot. The pressure bandage will prevent you from bleeding during this time.

What are the possible risks of a fistulagram or fistulaplasty?

You may have:

* An allergic reaction to the contrast, which may cause hives, a drop in blood pressure, or swelling of the skin.

* Minor discomfort if the local anesthetic does not completely numb the area and/or an allergic reaction to the drug used in the local anesthetic.

* An injury to the fistula from placement of the catheter, causing bleeding or a blockage of blood flow to the fistula.

* Surgery to correct damage caused by the procedure.

* An infection from the puncture site.

What should I expect after my procedure?

You will be watched closely for a short time in the Imaging Services department.

Most patients then go to a short-stay unit within the hospital, unless your referring doctor has made other plans.

You should be able to eat, drink, and take your normal medicines.

Your family member or driver may go with you to this area.

Before you leave, a nurse will give you a written plan to follow when you are home.

When to be concerned after the procedure?

Call your doctor if:

* Your hand is more cold or numb than usual.
    * You are bleeding at the site and it will not stop with direct pressure.
    * You have a change in the bruit and/or thrill in your fistula.
    * You have swelling, see redness, or feel heat at or near the puncture site.

How and when will I get my results?

Results are seen during dialysis. On the day of the procedure we can observe better flow, but the real test comes with a good run on dialysis.

from: http://www.uwmedicine.org/PatientCare/MedicalSpecialties/SpecialtyCare/UWMEDICALCENTER/Radiology/fistulagramfistulaplasty.htm

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:28:15 AM »

Is there anything like this for grafts???

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
keefer51

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »

Thanks for the info Karol. Mine works great now.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »

Yes, they do this to grafts, too to unclot them. I have had it done.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 03:45:03 PM »

When I had mine done they told me it was a normal procedure.  When the balloon inflated it split my fistula and my arm filled up with blood.  It was awful!  Then I had to get the neck catheter blah blah blah.  It has been working well (my fistula) for 6 months now.  It had better last a long time because I'm in no hurry to get another fistulagram/plasty.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »

:bump;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Desert Dancer

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »

When I had my catheter out yesterday they told me they wanted me to come in a month to have a fistulagram done. Do they normally do these if everything is going well and there's no real indication for it? They said I should look at it as a 'tune up', but I don't see why I should subject myself to this if I'm not having any problems.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:53:37 PM »

I was told the same....  After talking to the doctor who was going to do the procedure and him telling me that they have to do damage to my fistula to see or fix..... and in time it will may not work at all.... He told me that if I didnt use a high blood speed then my fistula would work alot longer......   So   I am not going back any time too soon for a fistulagram.....( they infiltrated my arm...)  ( I havent even dont that to my self yet  )   and I have slowed down my speed to 350 from 430..... Center wasnt happy  but my fistula is happier...... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »

I have had 4 of these with my graft. I always ask for versed to relax me. Also one thing that wasn't mentioned, they also put in one stitch on mine that is removed by the dialysis center within a week.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »