I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 06:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Rabbi gives kidney to father of 10
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rabbi gives kidney to father of 10  (Read 1444 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: October 12, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »

October 10, 2009

Rabbi gives kidney to father of 10

Bob Groves
MCT News Service

Even before Rabbi Ephraim Simon of Teaneck, N.J., gave one of his kidneys to a total stranger from Brooklyn, N.Y., he felt they would be a good match.

"This was a father of 10, I'm a father of nine - we matched already," Simon said.

Both men are also Hasidic Jews, though of different sects: Simon is Chabad and his kidney recipient is Satmar.

The surgery last month at Cornell Medical Center was successful. Simon, 41, says he and the 51-year-old organ recipient, who declined to be interviewed, are both doing well.

Simon was moved to donate a vital organ last year when he heard about the plight of a desperately ill 12-year-old girl. He learned about the child from Chaya Lipschutz, a kidney donor from Brooklyn who has become something of a kidney matchmaker through her e-mails about people in need.

"I have a 12-year-old girl. If it was my daughter, I'd call someone to step up," Simon said. "So I called Chaya and said 'I'll do it.' "

The girl found another donor and is reportedly doing well. But Simon stayed on Lipschutz's list. In the following months, he volunteered to donate a kidney to a woman with two children and to an Israeli man - but tests showed he was incompatible for both.

In March, Simon learned of the Brooklyn man who was facing dialysis unless he found a kidney donor. The two men met briefly in a hospital hallway before being tested.

"Are you the donor?" the man asked Simon.

"I said, 'God willing,' " Simon recalled. " 'It's all in the hands of God. Hopefully, we'll match, and if we match, you have my word, I'll be there.' "

Donating a kidney filled a broader spiritual need for Simon.

"It's an obligation of love and helping your fellow man," he explained. "I certainly felt the incredible awesomeness of saving or improving a life."

Some potential donors are put off by fear of pain or of living life without a spare kidney in case the other goes bad, Simon said. But pain can be controlled by medication, Simon said. The risks of losing a remaining kidney are "extremely negligible," and donors "move to the top of the (recipients) list," if they need a transplant, he said.

A little more than a third of the 14,000 kidney transplants performed each year in the United States are from live donors, according to federal health data. A live donor is a better source for a kidney than a cadaver. "There is always some injury (to the organ) involving a deceased donor," said Dr. Stuart Greenstein, a kidney transplant surgeon at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx.

For Jewish donors, giving a kidney is not only a mitzvah - a good deed performed out of religious duty - but also "an act of kindness and goodness, like charity giving," Greenstein said.

As part of donor screening, a psychiatrist asked Simon about his motivation. Simon took out a photo of his family.

"I had two motivations," he said. "One is to save a life, if I can give a father of 10 back to his children, and a husband back to his wife. And, as a rabbi and a father, I wanted to teach children how to sacrifice for others. God didn't put us here for ourselves, but to make the world a better place."

Donating a kidney was as awesome as the birth of his nine children, Simon said. In a sense, the donated organ was like a 10th child.

"It's doing its job, filtering impurities and toxins," he said. "I'm so proud of my kidney. I did such a good job of raising it. Now I sent it off to live in another home."

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20091010/LIFE04/910100307/1079/LIFE

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ladystardust24

Keep Calm, Carry on.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:08 PM »

I really like this story, I come from a Jewish backround.. and even though many rabbis would tell you donating is a huge mitzvah, many jewish people won't donate because of beliefs of being buried "whole" thing. But from the many rabbis I talked to.. most of them thought it was an amazing mitzvah to donate. Although as the article said..so many people are afraid of something going wrong. I think this article might bring more attention to people with CKD from a wide variety of ethnicities. Thank u so much for posting it! :bandance;

Dialysis 99-01
transplanted 01-04
Dialysis 04-10
Currently Transplant 10-22 +!

Very grateful for my Ziggy Bean.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »