I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:31:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Marvin's turn to be the caregiver
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvin's turn to be the caregiver  (Read 4189 times)
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« on: September 30, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »

For a number of years, I've had a liphoma (is that how you spell it?) on my upper left (outer) arm.  It just looks like I have a bigger muscle on that bicep.  Years ago, it was diagnosed as one of those "fatty tumors."  I, however, do not like this term; as a "full-figured" kind of a girl, that "fatty" word just doesn't please me.  Anyway, there it has sat for a while with no problems.

The last few weeks, I've noticed that it has grown some (now about the size of a small tangerine) and it has started hurting, especially when I pick up anything or use that arm very much.  I went to my family doctor, and he referred me back to Duke Hospital (which was where I went years ago).

Marvin and I went up last night, and I had an MRI to compare it with the one I had two years ago.  (And, being in that tunnel flat out on my stomach with both arms stretched way above my head, trying not to move or freak out for 45 minutes was not fun!)  We spent the night in a motel, and I saw the surgeon this morning.  The liphoma has expanded, and the surgeon said it was pressing on my deltoid (sp?) muscle and a couple of "surface" nerves.  He has scheduled to remove it on Oct. 23.  The good thing, he said, was that it was just under the skin and has not wrapped around anything yet.  It will be a same-day surgery, but I'm not looking forward to it.  I've only had one other operation in my life (when I gave Marvin a kidney).

I'm worried, worried, worried about the first few days after the surgery.  As Marvin's home hemo partner, I do use that arm some (but thank goodness I'm right-handed) during cannulation.  Marvin said we will start "practicing" using only my right hand with him taking up the slack.  We have a back-up "sticker" (one of Marvin's former dialysis nurses), but we've never had to call on her.  Marvin just absolutely cannot cannulate himself -- he can't even look!

Do any of you other "partners" have a trick for cannulating with just your dominant hand?  I use my left hand to "steady" Marvin's fistula (with my thumb on one side and my pointer finger on the other side of his fistula) while I slide the needles in with my right hand.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Once we get the needles in, I have lots of "volunteers" (family and friends) who want to come and monitor Marvin during treatments.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:34:36 PM »

I'm just gald you went in to see someone and that it will be GONE in a few weeks. 

:cuddle;

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »

Oh, Petey, dear Petey. I wish I had a marvelous tip for cannulating Marvin. But alas, I don't. I worry constantly about what Carl will so for dialysis if I am laid up. Your worry resonates so with me.

Maybe with the tow of you practicing alternatives for the next few weeks, you will be able to devise a way to do this.

Take care, take care. Of yourself as well as Marvin.  :cuddle; :cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »

I am no help at all, just wanted to say good for both of you, thinking ahead and practicing.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »

I'm another one who is no help but just wanted to send love and good wishes for a speedy recovery after your op later this month, I'll be thinking of you, please keep up posted  :cuddle;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 07:35:18 AM »

:cuddle; petey, petey, petey, I am so sorry to read this. I wish I wasn't so far away. I could be Marvin's dialysis nurse and your nurse too. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and please have Marvin update us if you can't, you know how we worry. I would contact the nurse that offered to help with Marvin and see if you can work out something or grab a friend and start training someone on your own. Wish I had some more ideas for you. Please let us know how things are going.   :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »