I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Arterial patient line snapper not shutting
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arterial patient line snapper not shutting  (Read 2405 times)
Malibu

« on: December 30, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »

We were getting going on our first solo treatment tonight when MM started to snap n tap and the arterial line came undone from the saline bag.  Squirted saline all over.  This is the 2nd time it has happened, first time was during training.  It seems the little red cap/screw thingy somehow came undone after he did his initial check and tighten when undoing the cartridge for the prime.  Anybody else have this problem? 

A small problem to have for newbies I have to admit!

BTW while I am here another strange thing happened....as soon as we got on, hadn't upped the flow yet, we got a yellow 24 and then the Aterial pressure did not display on the left field anymore.  The A simply did not ever come up.....it would give time remaining, the flow fraction, the Venous and Effl pressures but would totally skip Arterial, didn't even give a 0.  Called the training nurse, she said reset the pressure pod.  As soon as I plugged that puppy back in we had an A reading.  I am wondering if it is new software or something.  Just curious.  Anybody know?

Our training nurse did a spectacular job and I told her so.  I am so thankful MM isn't sitting in a center next to a person in diapers waiting for a nurse to come help him!!!  :clap;
M3Riddler

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

Hi Malibu,

First Welcome to NxStage. You have made a great decsion to use NxStage as you means of dialyzing.
Regarding the Red Arterial Line, Sometimes they are loose and when you move the lines around it can become undone. We always make sure the lines and connections are tight before we prime. Sometimes they will be loose, and sometimes not.
Since you were not getting a reading on the arterial pressures, it seems as if the line was either not connected all the way, or not tight enouph to produce a reading. Resetting it seems to have fixed the issue.
We have all run into sdetracks such as these even veteran users. You must always keep alert and not get to complacent when doing your treatmets.
Again
Welcome to the NxStage Community.

///M3Riddler
www.nxstageusers.com

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook