I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:41:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Contrast dye and already defunct kidneys question
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Contrast dye and already defunct kidneys question  (Read 5573 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: September 04, 2009, 06:51:03 PM »

I ended up in ICU last week because I was vomiting up blood and couldn't stop. They had done a bunch of tests and found I had a tumor (or tumors, I was kind of out of it and don't really remember much) on my liver. I went back yesterday for a contrast dye CT scan to check number and location of it/them. They made me drink a gigantic cup off sugar free kool aid with the dye, then gave me an IV of it as well. My kidneys are pretty much defunct, but I do still produce a tiny bit of urine (although barely a drop since that stupid kool aid!). Does it really matter about the dye since I'm on dialysis? I felt rather queasy until dialysis today after getting the test. Should i be concerned? No one that gave me the test could answer my questions.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

They say the dye should be dialyzed out as soon as possible but definitely before 24 hours.  A normal person is told to go home and drink a ton of water.  We can't.  After my heart cath which used contrast dye I never peed again.  In my opinion it took the rest of what little I had of kidney function.

But, I don't think it can hurt your already impaired kidneys.  I have no idea what it does to the rest of your organs.

Best of luck on the Liver study.            :grouphug;

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »

:grouphug; I hope you feel better soon.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »

First, sorry to hear about what happened and hope things get better.

Second, when I had the contrast, it didn't much matter, I urinated little anyway and what harm it did do did not matter after that in kidney function. Although it was great not having to go while out and about like when I was a diabetic with normal kidney function needing to know where a washrom was (well more so when I was a kid).

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »

Sorry to hear about this. Hope you feel better and someone should have an answer for you soon.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »

I've had the contrast thing done a couple of times.  They said it wouldn't matter as my kidneys are already stuffed.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 07:01:19 AM »

Sorry to hear about the tumor.. :thumbdown;

I have just had a angiogram and I insisted that they use the least amount possible and that they give me something to protect my kidneys.

Afterwards they insured me that they went out of their way to find iodine that does the least damage.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 08:59:34 PM »

Thanks for the advice, info and support everyone!

I didn't know there was another option. Yet another thing no doctor told me! No one told me to drink any water afterward, nor did they tell me I needed to dialysize within 24 hours!! It was more than that for me, although only by a few hours. Now that I think about it, I've barely peed since. I went in to dialysis 2.8 kilos over (a lot for me) and after only a half hour had to have only the minimum fluid pulled off because my crazy bp decided to crash and stay that way. I ended up going into the weekend having only had 1 kilo taken off.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
*kana*

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »

When I still had kidneys and I peed, they would give me pills 3 days before my CT/contrast and for 2 days after.  I also heard that tomato juice works just as good to help protect the kidneys from the contrast.  Only drink it if your potassium level is normal which mine used to be. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:56:29 PM »

Thanks, I'll have to remember that. I need to have some contrast dye pictures done of my left eye as I'm having blood leakage again. I guess I should ask my doctor about the pills. Do you remember what they were called?

Savemeimdtba

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:27 AM »

Well... they SAY it can't hurt you - they figure if you're on dialysis - then you're kidneys don't matter.  BUT that little bit of urine you still make is VERY important to us... it's a big difference and I don't think they think about that :/ 

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »

I just wonder what effects the dye can have on the rest of the body when you can barely eliminate it?

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:44 PM »

Now I wonder if the dye used in the eye is in the same catagory that was/is used for CT scans. Anyway the thing of it is is that they use a different contrast  for us who have had a transplant. I think I saved the name since I had it in May. You have to drink 4 coups of 12 oz of this salty tasting stuff, but  I think they said there was another way to have it. If I don't find it tonight, I'll ask tomorow at the hospital when I pick up my labs to see if it is listed in charts I can get.

I know the dye for the eyes is based from the use of carrots.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »

When I still had kidneys and I peed, they would give me pills 3 days before my CT/contrast and for 2 days after.  I also heard that tomato juice works just as good to help protect the kidneys from the contrast.  Only drink it if your potassium level is normal which mine used to be.
A couple of studies have found that N-acetylcysteine (NAC) supplements, taken before the contrast dye, can help protect the kidneys from contrast dye.  NAC is available from some health food stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12944058

And as someone else already mentioned, if you're on dialysis, you should have dialysis as soon as possible after your contrast dye CT scan to dialyze out the dye before it can damage kidneys.

For dialysis patients given contrast dye, there is about a 1-3% chance of contrast-induced nephropathy, which can indeed destroy what little remains of their kidney function.  Unless one of the above protective measures is used.

I had to have a CT of my abdomen at Massachusetts General as part of my transplant evaluation.  But my transplant coordinator told the radiologist NOT to give me contrast.  They said they can live without it if necessary.  If Mass General can live without the contrast dye, then so can your own hospital.  Ask them if it can be withheld.
st789

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:32:34 PM »

hope sort out things soon for you.  Take care.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »

That 1-3% chance isn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I was thinking more like 90% or something. Thanks for the info on the pills!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »