I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistulas and tourniquets
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistulas and tourniquets  (Read 8707 times)
pdpatty

« on: August 27, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »

How many that have a fistula have a tourniquet used when it is to be accessed

I was told today by a tech that did a test on my fistula ,they should never use a tourniquet because it could cause a blockage and destroy my fistula.

About a week and half back I was stuck 7 times before they got the veinus . Yesterday it was 2 times. Surgeon says my fistula is BIG,straight and should be easily stuck. Yet there are only two techs who have stuck me with very little problem.

Surgeon also said if they keep doing what they are doing they will destroy my fistula.

This is the only center in our small town.
LightLizard

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »

can you request the techs that got it right administer to you exclusively, or at least, as much as possible?
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:51:31 PM »

I would encourage you to think long and hard about trying to do your own needles.  I know that you may well recoil in horror and think...OK she's nuts, but it would be the best thing you could do to save your fistula, not simply to keep it functional but also to ladder up and down properly, consistently or better yet, eventually to establish buttonholes.  If you can get to the point where you do, it will take away a huge part of the anxiety that goes with D.  No more wondering if you're getting the "good" tech or the one whose fine motor skills have always been sketchy.  You could use Emla cream for numbing although I personally needed to feel what the needle was doing as I cannulated.   I have had both a forearm and an upper arm fistula, at separate times and neither was damaged or stopped working while I was using it.
I know that many people say and truly believe they could not do this and yet I've personally known people who started off with that view but now would not accept that anyone else do their sticks.

I did use a touniquet, one designed with velcro for easier one-handed use but I never put it as tight as the nurses liked to because there was no need for it to be that tight.
If I've encouraged you in this direction before and you already told me to back off with the crazy ideas, I apologize, but for me, if anyone is going to shove those needles in me I want it to be my job.  No one else will ever care for my fistula as I do.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »

So true Gail!!!  We do not use a tourniquet when needling.  One of us will just put our hand gently around the upper arm while the other needles. If you can possibly do your own needles it would be best.  Personally I think all that sticking is probably worse than using a tourniquet.  Take care

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
pdpatty

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:41:50 PM »

can't do it myself,fistula is in right arm and I am very right-handed. I also have sight problems.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:23:19 AM »

Ok, fair enough pdpatty...so on to my next best unasked for advice.  Ask to speak to the charge nurse in order to discuss the situation.  I would ask my surgeon for a letter stating what he told you about the possibility of destroying the fistula and to include the recommendation that no novice needler come near your arm.  You should firmly ask/insist, that you get a very experienced person to do your sticks.  Also don't let anyone use a tourniquet.  You can apply pressure to your arm while the tech sticks.  You must also be firm in telling them to ladder the needles.  Do not let them go in the same spots over and over again.  This kind of assertiveness isn't easy because it often feels that we are at the mercy of the centre but it is too crucial not to be be done.  You can be nice but firm, however,  if you have to step on some feelings for your fistula to live its longest life possible then tough rocks for the bad techs' self-esteem. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:04:27 PM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »

Surgeons are always going to claim its big and straight and should be easy to stick.  That is their nature. ;D 

A tourniquet can be used and if used properly its the same as someone clamping down on your arm to restrict blood flow some to make the vein swell up.  They shouldnt be using it in the manner that is used for drawing blood nor be left on for any extended period of time.

In the beginning there were a number of times a tourniquet was used on mine and I never had any problems associated with its use.

In the beginning fistulas like to spasm and roll alot when being stuck. 

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »

I use a tourniquet for my venous cannulation, due to the fact that the vein is deep.
And the tourniquet use was recommended by the vascular surgeon.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:02:31 PM »

A tourniquet is considered protocol for a fistula.  Some need it, and some don't.  Up to your fistula.  Best to stick yourself, but some can't.  Either alternate the sites, or use the buttonhole tequnique.  Ask for the best cannulator.  It's ok ot do that. 

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 10:07:06 PM »

I use a tourniquet for all my sticks without difficulty.  I got several velcro tourniquets and my wife sets it.  I know others that self cannulate alone that use a BP cuff set just above venous level.  Infiltrating the fistula poses great dangers to a fistula.  My personal take was to avoid infiltration at all costs.  Talk it over with your team,  but for myself, no cannulation without a tourniquet.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 07:13:15 AM »

I've been infiltrated once and almost twice.  Is my fistula doomed now?  Supposedly I have the best cannula (oh heck, I'll never spell it)  STICKER but when she takes the needles out she is so rough and it almost always bleeds.  Others are more gentle with removal.

How long do I have to wait for buttonholes?  Surgeon OK use of fistula weeks ago but they kept messing up and  its only been working all the time for a week now?  Who says when they start it?  Surgeon, Neph or nurse?

Ok yea, they tie one of their rubber gloves for a tourniquet.  Is that ok?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:16:11 AM by dwcrawford » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »

You can look up velcro tourniquet on the internet and find the best price.  One can last for months, so having two or three on hand will give you all you need.

I started my buttonhole as soon as my fistula could tolerate a 15ga needle.

I found the only way to not have pain with removing my needles was to do it myself.  My tech taught me her technique of placing the bandaide over the buttonhole, then taping the bandage firmly but not tightly over that and then remove the needle.

What I do now, is my wife places the bandaid and the bandage with the it taped down, I pull the needle myself at the same exact angle and direction it went in, then my wife tamponades the bandage.  I then take over for her and she tapes it up.  It works very well and with good bandages, we have very little blood loss with none most of the time.

As in all things, discuss this with your team, but pulling needles out should NEVER hurt if done properly.  They are either pushing down before the needle is all the way out which is cutting your fistula on the inside to the outside which could cause aneurysm.  Or they are not paying attention to the angle and direction that the needle went in.

My only cure was to stick myself and to pull it out myself, same exact angle and direction everytime.  Only occassionally do I feel any pain.

That is my experience with buttonholes and self cannulation.

Buttonholes likewise do much better when the patient cannulates themselves since you can never have only one person every single day.  People miss due to illness or schedule changes.  Having more than one person stick you makes a buttonhole not work  in the majority of cases.

So, talk over these issues with your medical team and see what they have to say.

Good luck.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

Peter      Hey how about a  video showing us your self cannulation techniques...... and finishing techniques........  Hey Bill P.   has one ...     we would love to see one from you ......   
               Pictures are like a 1000 words......   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »

can't do it myself,fistula is in right arm and I am very right-handed. I also have sight problems.

I can't brush my teeth or write left handed but I can put my needles in - with a fistula you can use the buttonhole technique and feel the needle into position see these two presentations:
# Precannulation training: Tandem-hand cannulation & clinical observations
(presented by Stuart Mott, July 30, 2009)

# Cushion Cannulation
(presented by Stuart Mott, April 23, 2009)

Staff could help you to guide the needle in but with you in control you could feel how it is going and adjust accordingly.

I do not believe you could do worse than the people sticking you and I would be willing to bet you could do way, way better.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 10:07:12 AM »

Pictures are like a 1000 words......

Which means videos are like a book

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »

Thanks Tyefly, but Dialysis From the Sharp End of the Needle only has room for one movie start at a time.  Bill's video is great.  Taking charge of your dialysis care takes time to practice all of the skills under good medical supervision, but once you have it right, you are in control.

Like I said above, I still worry about inflitration and am quite careful everytime I cannulate and I am thankful to the Lord everytime it works.  Learning the landmarks on your arm and what angle and direction to place the needle takes time.  However, learning how to take the needle out takes less time, but you need to know exactly what angle and direction it was placed.

So, one movie star at a time at DSEN is the way it should be. 

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info

tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »

Well    Peter         You are still  our shinning star........... Thx for all of your information and keep up the great postings on DSEN.   We love reading all of them.....

Kathy

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »