I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 08:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  how long can one live on dialysis?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how long can one live on dialysis?  (Read 35958 times)
Panda_9

« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2006, 01:12:29 AM »

Had she of appologised in her next post that would of been ok, but she didnt, she went on to call me lame and dribble shit that isnt even correct. I never said I met my fiance because of dialysis, and even if I did, it doesnt give anyone any right to critisise me. I had a friend pass away recently also, he was 27. I understand how that makes you feel, but it doesnt mean you can go around shooting your mouth of at people. It doesnt help anyone here, nor yourself. We are all here to support each other, not put people down. By all means have a whinge, a rant, a vent, or whatever, just keep it friendly.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2006, 01:33:28 AM »

Dialysis and kidney failure suck.  They suck big time.  My life is not better because of dialysis, it is only longer.

Katherine

This should be put on a bronze statue!   :D  (infact I'm going to change my signature line)

I've reread this entire thread.  It wasn't just Amber.  There were various references or inferences that kidney failure has brought about some good in life and a general cheeriness that makes me sicker than I already am. 

Enough said on my part.   

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:44:17 AM by Rerun » Logged

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2006, 02:31:08 AM »

I HATE DIALYSIS!  No one in their right mind could love or even like dialysis.  But I have to say this - my life is not just longer because of it, it is better.  Last year this time, I was puffing and panting, even to get up from my couch to pick up the remote.   When I was in school, I had to stand at the side of the stairs every 4 steps to recover.  I was hiding how I felt from everyone, because I didn't want it to impact on how I was viewed.  I need to work to see my daughter through college.
Then the day came when I could hide it no longer.  My daughter (without a driver's permit) had to drive me to the hospital, where I was admitted with congestive heart failure and fluid on my lungs.  After nearly two weeks in the hospital, I started dialysis, and now I am able to walk up briskly to my classroom.  My admin at school had started treating me as fragile, but bit by bit I was given back nearly all my classes and was able to function well.  I even got to teach a class this summer for supplementary students (some needed extra money - I will remember IHD when I get my check!).
When I think of the needles, my body cringes.  When I think of the fact that I can no longer travel as I used to, it hurts. It is a horrible feeling that I am owing my existence to a machine.   I hate dialysis, but, thank God for it.  It has made my life better........ and longer.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2006, 02:57:18 AM »

Excellent post Bajanne,  and i thank God you are able to see your Grandson grow but i am sure no one is happier than he is to have you.....Although i have no kids, i do have a husband that loves me and 17 beautiful Godchildren that mean the world to me, i have a great family and i even have some friends (i thought i didnt) but they recently proved me wrong when i lost my beloved pet.    That is all the more reason to not only fight for my life but to enjoy it to its fullest.   If you tell me this is as good as it gets, then i will be not only happy, but satisfied..... 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2006, 04:53:49 AM »

Im terribly sorry our cheerfulness makes you sick. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and maybe you might be able to appreciate people trying to stay happy whilst living with a horrible illness. Dialysis is a horrible thing, but life will only be shorter if you bitch and moan about it.
Mom3

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2006, 08:39:56 AM »

People are different. Optimism works for some people and pessimism works for others. Read an article on that recently, that pessimism has protective effects for people and it is not helpful to try to change pessimists into optimists. Both ways of looking at the world and at experience have different strengths and weaknesses.

And people get put on dialysis at different points. If you have reached the point of not being able to function and you feel it in every fiber of your body, and voila'-- dialysis makes you feel better--dialysis is perceived as a good thing in some ways. Gut reaction.

If you go on before you reach that stage (as I hope I will incidentally) and you go down hill ON DIALYSIS then dialysis is viewed as something completely awful. Or may be at least! Again a gut reaction.

That's my two cents worth on it, wading in where angels fear to tread! (But then I'm no angel... >:D)

Mom3

Sickness is a hindrance to the body, but not to the will, unless the will consent.
Epictetus
SpeedFleX

« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2006, 10:51:35 AM »

I don't love dialysis but I'm sure glad that they have it. I happily go there 3x a week for 5 h each cuz I don't like the alternative. that 15 h a week is well worth my time.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2006, 11:21:50 AM »

People are different. Optimism works for some people and pessimism works for others. Read an article on that recently, that pessimism has protective effects for people and it is not helpful to try to change pessimists into optimists. Both ways of looking at the world and at experience have different strengths and weaknesses.
Mom3
I am so glad you wrote that.  I never quite thought of it that way.  That means we have space for both pessimists and optimists on this website!  Wonderful!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2006, 12:12:20 PM »

I HATE DIALYSIS!  No one in their right mind could love or even like dialysis.  But I have to say this - my life is not just longer because of it, it is better.  Last year this time, I was puffing and panting, even to get up from my couch to pick up the remote.   When I was in school, I had to stand at the side of the stairs every 4 steps to recover.  I was hiding how I felt from everyone, because I didn't want it to impact on how I was viewed.  I need to work to see my daughter through college.
Then the day came when I could hide it no longer.  My daughter (without a driver's permit) had to drive me to the hospital, where I was admitted with congestive heart failure and fluid on my lungs.  After nearly two weeks in the hospital, I started dialysis, and now I am able to walk up briskly to my classroom.  My admin at school had started treating me as fragile, but bit by bit I was given back nearly all my classes and was able to function well.  I even got to teach a class this summer for supplementary students (some needed extra money - I will remember IHD when I get my check!).
When I think of the needles, my body cringes.  When I think of the fact that I can no longer travel as I used to, it hurts. It is a horrible feeling that I am owing my existence to a machine.   I hate dialysis, but, thank God for it.  It has made my life better........ and longer.

EXACTLY!! I had to stop every single block to catch my breath when I was biking to the drugstore near the end before I finally started dialysis. I am amazed I was able to work my 12-hr position as long as I was able to!! They kept asking "why are you so slow? You never used to work this slow!" and I was trying my best. They didn't realize it was health related. They were seeing me as a bad worker. I had to give up that job just as I was offered the promotion I was waiting 9 years for (trust me I cried my heart out!!!) so YES I HATE DIALYSIS!!!!!!!!

So when I say I am grateful and believe everything happens for a reason .. I am ONLY trying to find the silver lining of that cloud that is constantly raining on me!!! Please don't feel that I am saying, "Thank God for dialysis!" even though it is the ONLY thing keeping me alive! No! I am just trying to find the good in the bad!

But yes, you can voice your annoyace at people saying "if it wasn't for dialysis I would not have met my boyfriend" (That was ME by the way). Go ahead! But please, understand that I only am looking for the good.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »