I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  How hard is it to switch trasnplant centers (and how long is the process)?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How hard is it to switch trasnplant centers (and how long is the process)?  (Read 1959 times)
alrightstill

BAH!

« on: August 21, 2009, 10:52:56 AM »

I am thinking of switching transplant centers.. They're both affiliated with "Saint Barnabus", the surgeons are the same, the head of Transplantation is the same.. they're 15 minutes from each other.. but the one I want to switch to is in a much much MUCH safer neighborhood.

The pros of staying with the one I'm with now:  I had my first transplant there in 95.. so I know my way around the hospital, I know alot of the doctors, nurses, social workers, etc.  Also my favorite nephrologist of all time is there.

But thats about it.  The hospital is in a city with one of the highest crime rates in New Jersey.  I guess when I was younger I didn't notice (or didn't really have a choice) and I just don't feel comfortable staying there now.

After 9 years back on the list, a friend has stepped up to the plate and was tested to give me a kidney.  Turns out shes a match.. but I'm going to have to go thru plasmapharesis to get my antibody level down.  Met with the heads of  transplantation yesterday who was explaining it will be a long stay in the hospital..so I just want to make sure I'm most comfortable. 

So my question is to all who have done the switch before.. How long did it take?  Did anyone give you a hard time? I'm thinking since they're affiliated it shouldn't be tooooo much of a struggle..  ???

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:34:27 PM »

Switching transplant centers is pretty easy - just a matter of getting your records transferred to the new hospital and reminding the new hospital to submit a time transfer (which you will need to sign) through UNOS. You will have to go through the basic eval again, meeting with their particular line-up of team members. If any of your tests have not been done in a year, you will probably need to redo them. Oh, and they will always insist on doing their own bloodwork at their lab. It's a legal issue.

I have transferred twice. Yes, the hospital that I was exiting was not happy about it, but it's an awkward few minutes and then you are done. Take a deep breath, and tell them why you would be more comfortable elsewhere. When I transferred within the same city, I tried to be honest (to a point) with the nurse coordinator. I told her that every time I went to the hospital (USC in my case) no one seemed to know who I was or why I was there, and orders for tests were often an hour or more late in arriving. She was satisfied with that, because she was able to blame others. I felt it best to leave out the personality clash that I felt she and I had from the first moment I arrived. Time really depends on the hospital and how quickly they will see you, but I think it took about 6 weeks in my case.

When we left Cedars-Sinai for Nothwestern, the live-donor coordinator shouted at my husband (my potential donor). I had nothing but good things to say about Cedars until that moment. She shouted because we did not personally call her and tell her we were leaving, even though I had told them that I was moving to the Chicago-area. :waiting; I don't need IVIG which is their big, transplant specialty, so I have no idea why she thought we would bother flying 2000 miles to go to them when we can do this locally.  :urcrazy; I can't remember what my husband said back to her, but you can bet it was cutting. I know it's often easier said than done, but if anyone is rude to you over this, tell them that you are going to do what makes you feel comfortable and that's the end of it.

I would visit the new hospital first to make sure you really want to do this, and that they have the services you need and will approve you. They will ask you why you want to transfer, and just give your reason and go from there.

Good luck!  :flower;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
alrightstill

BAH!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 06:44:20 PM »

Thanks so much for the reply!!    :thumbup;

That's exactly what I was thinking.. in the end.. it is ultimately up to me, right?  (Well.. and my insurance, and like you said if the other hospital offers the same treatment.).  Back  when I was in the hospital w/my first transplant I was 15 and my mom was with me everyday.  Now, at 29.. yes, I'm older.. but I don't know.  Call me paranoid.. I don't want to stay in a hospital where a sign across the street reads "Have a criminal record? NO PROBLEM! Call us & for $200 we can wipe that record clean...."   :o

1992 @ age 12 i was suddenly diagnosed with ESRD. 
1992 - 1995: Peritoneal Dialysis
1995: Cadaver Transplant
2001: Kidney rejects, back on PD
2002: too much scar tissue prevents PD from succeeding, go on hemo via permacath,
         transplanted kidney is removed.
Dec 2004 -- 2009t: on NXSTAGE (with the bags NOT pureflow) 6x a week via permacath
Dec 2009: Transplant from a pal
Oct 2016 - present:  Transplant fails, back on NxStage w/pureflow via femoral cath, patiently waiting for next kidney
Melissa

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »

Hi!
I switched from San Francisco to Boston (moved home) and it was very easy.   I let both centers know in advance and after the actual move I think it took about two weeks before I rec'd my official letter confirming the transfer.  I was very surprised it was that easy.
Good luck!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »