I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  CMV.... need info Please....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CMV.... need info Please....  (Read 2435 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: August 21, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »

Ok  I have had a ton of blood test done to get thru this evaluation for a transplant.....   One test that came back as Positive is  CMV.. of 4.89 H........    I did some research on here... ( IDH) and  see that alot of people have had to do certain medication because of this being positive.... I think because you have ad a transplant and they put you certain meds...like Valcyte...  or  this IGIV...... ok  I dont understand everything .... I am still learning......    bottom line...... Since I am positive for this CMV    does this mean I can not get a transplant???? or  do I need to take medication before I get a transplant..... or after  or what.........  any infor would help......     thx     kathy

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »

Being CMV positive means that you can take a kidney from a cmv positive donor without concern for subsequent CMV-related health risks.  Because you have already been exposed to the virus your body is essentially pre-adapted.  For those who test negative, on-going research is examining whether or not exposing potential kidney recipients prior to transplant will lower the risk of cmv-related problems after transplant.  In any case, I think you can stop worrying about cmv.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:20 PM »

Great..... I hate to worry......   There is so much to learn......  I hope I can get it all.....

thx  again ........ kathy

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:30:34 PM »

Kathy..
   The issue with CMV is when a person (such as myself) is CMV negative and gets a donor kidney that is CMV positive.  It could lead to all sorts of levels of illness.  So far so good in my case.  I took Valcyte for 6 months, then they took me off so I don't build a resistance to it in case something CMV related gets to me later.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »

So  because I am positive for CMV antibodies   that is I have the CMV antibodies in my body  if I was to get a kidney that was neg ..   that donated kidney could and would be exposed to the CMV virus antibodies and my affect the donor kidney....     and visa versa.....     So with me being positive  and  if I get a positive donor kidney   then  its equal and there is nothing to worry about....... right......    so that is good    really to be positive since there are more kidneys that are positive too..... 

let me know if I am getting this......        thx again...  kathy

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »

As far as I am aware, a kidney from a donor that tests negative is also not a problem if you are CMV positive.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:31:30 PM »

Thats how I understand it too Pelagia!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 08:50:03 PM »

Very true.

8)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 08:52:46 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 08:58:33 PM »

Great....  so then next week I should be done with everything for the approval of a transplant as that is the only blood test that I thought may be a problem......   I hope everything else goes well..... I have to go talk to the transplant team at OHSU here in Portland and attend their class  and I think that is it....
        I sure hope I can get a transplant before I have to do dialysis.......  crossing my fingers and toes.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 09:02:56 PM »

Good luck with it!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »