I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Paranoid
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paranoid  (Read 2044 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: August 06, 2009, 12:06:40 PM »

Since i was told the other day my potassium had doubled and that kind nurse said i could drop down dead anytime , ive gone paranoid. One of the things i get on a regular basis is indigestion and last night when i went to bed i got it , right in the middle of my chest. I kept telling myself its only indigestion but i got really stressed out , especially as i live on my own. I just dont know what to do , i dont want the panic attacks back or i will think its my heart.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »

I know what you're saying. I wish I had a suggestion, but I don't. I've had the same feeling several times, over my potassium level and because of other things. I had a DVT (blood clot) once. I was supposed to stay off my feet for the first few days of treatment, but there was a snowstorm. I couldn't get into my driveway without shoveling it on my way home from the hospital, so I was out there shoveling, sure I was going to drop dead at any second from doing it. Then there was the blood sugar level incident from prednisone......

Anway, I understand and hope you get a good blood test soon to put you at ease.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »

Kickstart...did they give you that stuff to drink to force out the potassium?  did they inject the stuff to get your heart in rhythm again?  If that was all done, sit back, put up your legs, take a deep breath and know that you will be fine.  If none of the above was done, get on the phone to a good Dr, NOW. Nurses be damned anymore.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »

G-MA  My only treatment has been to increase my dialysis , i do PD  and i was on a machine overnight (which i am certain caused my problems because prior to going on the machine i never had an issue with my potassium (for years i did manuals) So now im back on manuals 6 times a day! Im off to the hospital tomorrow for bloods but to be honest its only been 2 days , so i wonder if there will be any difference in that short time ? This is why im so on edge . The thing is over here we dont get a choice of doctor !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:56:04 PM »

What makes anyone here think they are going to have a choice of doctors in a few...

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »

Kickstart..question the mixture you are using..that is what I should have known to do the beginning of June...but no...stupid me went a whole month with my heart doing summersaults in my chest and all the nurses and Drs kept doing was increase my dry weight....question everything all the time.  Let us know how you are.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
LightLizard

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »

hoping for a change for the better for you, Kickstart.
if i may, i would remind you of the importance of deep, full breaths.
they can be helpful in dealing with states of stress.
 :grouphug;
TiffanyJean

We live in paradise - if only we could enjoy it!

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »

Kickstart -

I'm saying prayers for you! hope that this all gets better soon. As for being paranoid about being alone, is there a friend or relative that you can have call you on a schedule then at least if (god forbid) you dont answer and then don't call back in a short amount of time, then they come over and check on ya.

Prayers and blessing your way!! Take care!!

TJ

"Just think people have no problem having only one kidney, so we have to ask, why
did God give us two kidneys?  Perhaps it is so you would have an extra one to
donate and save a life!"
                        - Dr. Stuart Greenstein, Kidney Transplant Surgeon,
                        Professor of Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY   
                        Source of quote:   www.ourjerusalem.com
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:53:58 PM »

Just for kicks ask your doctor to do a "re-draw" on your test.

Out of the blue once (this was probably in  2006 or early 2007) my doctor called me personally and asked me how I was feeling.  I said fine.  He asked me multiple questions and then finally said that my potassium was really high.  I felt fine.  He arranged for me to have another blood draw that next morning and it was within range.  That scared me, especially when he told me that potassium is what is used in the "lethal injection" to stop the heart.  yikes!

Good Luck.    :cuddle;
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 06:34:06 PM by kellyt » Logged

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Phraxis

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 04:45:56 PM »

You may have already gone this route, but I suggest meeting with your dietition and get yourself a strict "no potassium" diet for six weeks to drive it down.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »