I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Medicare is going to suck the life out of us yet!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medicare is going to suck the life out of us yet!!  (Read 3615 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: August 05, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »

I just got my approval letter for my medicare last week (yes, I know, I procrastinated in applying). The letter said my monthly premiums would be $96.40, and that they would be sending me a bill for the first 3 month period shortly. I got that today. The bill is for $674.80!!!! Now I may suck at math, but I can c6rtainly multiply 96.20 by 3 on a calculator. That equals $288.60, not $674.80!! WTF???!!! I haven't even shown the card to anyone yet! We don't have that kind of money, but we don't qualify for any assistance programs either because of my husband's salary. What do we do?

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:38:42 PM »

I had gotten a similiar bill. They were billing me for things I didn't want.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 03:18:21 PM »

Like what? When i call them, maybe I won't get any surprises.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »

They billed me for part B. I didn't want part B since I was covered by 2 insurance policies. I don't remember what else they charged me for.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »

My guess is that they are going back to the month that you were eligible and they will pick up any charges from there.  That's why they are billing you for those months.  Again, that's my guess.   ???

After transplant in Nov I didn't get my first bill for Medicare until late December and they included in the billing the month of Nov., which was fine with me because they picked up differences Humana didn't pay for.  Call and ask.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »

Isnt there some sort of penalty if you dont apply on time? Or is that just for the old people? I dont know. Let us know when you call them tho.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »

That I don't know, Jean.  I know that the day I got into a regular room after transplant was the day my Social Worker came in and started the paperwork for me.  I just wanted to sleep.  I didn't even care at that point.  Then I remembered that when I got married in 1998 I never contacted the SS office to change my name on my card, even though my voter's registration and everything else was under Talbert.

So, only weeks after being discharged did I have to go the SS office (I was more terrified of being there than anywhere else at that time because there were some strange folks there.  Mother's changing there baby's dirty diaper in the LOBBY!)  I ran in and ran out and I still didn't get any help.  So finally I made some calls and then everything via the mail.  Once that was complete I was on Medicare.  So actually I not have gotten my first bill until January.  ???   Anyway, I get billed now for three months at a time.  It's just under $300 for three months.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 11:14:49 PM »

As an old folk, I pay about $96.00 a month now. Thats nearly $300.00 for 3 months, huh?  Would they let you make payments? Thats a big lump to swallow, all at once. And dont you dare use your Vegas money. LOL

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 06:17:10 AM »

Haha! What Vegas money?!

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »

Padda, I think Jean is right about applying late and that may be where the large sum is coming from. If you apply late or let your coverage lapse (as I did one time) they stick you with a higher rate. The monthly premium you were quoted was based on if you had applied on time.

At least that's how I understand it. Then again, this is the government and they can't get anything right, so maybe they just messed up. Good luck getting it figured out!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:59:48 AM by KT0930 » Logged

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »

When it come to hemodialysis, Medicare is a bargain.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »

No kiddding!!!! What would we do without it. The price is right as they say. Medicare and scan covered my entire hospital bill for 5 days, except for $200.00 and $75.00 for the ambulance.

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »

Padda, I think Jean is right about applying late and that may be where the large sum is coming from. If you apply late or let your coverage lapse (as I did one time) they stick you with a higher rate. The monthly premium you were quoted was based on if you had applied on time.

At least that's how I understand it. Then again, this is the government and they can't get anything right, so maybe they just messed up. Good luck getting it figured out!

The amount I was quoted was in my letter of approval 2 weeks ago! And no one at the SS office said there was a difference if you applied late. I vote on 'it's the govenment and they messed it up' option!

When it come to hemodialysis, Medicare is a bargain.

8)

No kidding!! i have used over $100,000 of my insurance this year and i've only been on dialysis for 5 months.   :P

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »