I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Hearing Loss
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hearing Loss  (Read 5862 times)
LightLizard

« on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »

Has anyone else experienced this? After a month of a really nasty lung infection, (i'm sure it was H1N1, i had all of the symptoms) but now, my ears are troubled. It's like they're plugged up, but after rinsing them out with warm water, nothing comes out, so i'm pretty sure it's not ear-wax, but an after-effect of the lung infection. My hearing is about down to 40 or 50 percent of what it was before. Pretty annoying for a musician, believe me! >:(
The Wife says I should call my G/P and get some antibiotics, but i'm so leery about taking antibiotics for every problem. We all know where that leads. And it's not really painful at all, just annoying.
Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

thanks gang!

:waving;

EDITED: Move to Other severe medical conditions section-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:00:41 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 10:01:44 AM »

Hi Lizard...

When this happened to Mum, her GP suggested a good antihistamine... Seemed to reduce the inflammation in her inner ear...

However, I'm with your better half... At least go to your GP and get some advice... You can't afford to take a chance...

I'm involved with a charity, and I visit people in a nursing home... I visit a gentleman who unknowingly, had a low grade ear infection following bronchitis... The ear infection somehow invaded the mambrane surrounding his brain, and he got meningitis...

This was a man with a wonderful mind, a band member playing guitar, banjo, and mandolin, serenading every second woman he met (that hasn't changed!), and caring for his son who has an intellectual disability... Sadly he's now seriously intellectually deficient... He's almost like someone with Alzheimer's... Can only remember one song, has no short term memory, has to be reminded to go to the bathroom, etc...

I know that a complication such as this man's is very rare, but it DOES happen, and why take the chance...

Hope you get well VERY soon... Meanwhile, tell your wife that if she wants to complain about you, THIS is the time to do it without you hearing a thing!... :rofl;..

God bless you....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
LightLizard

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »

thanks darth. good advice. i will call my G/P. or at least, email him. he's pretty accomodating and a really nice man.
may the force be with you!
 ;D
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »

Good idea re: the email... Can't do any harm anyway!...

I got the Dartvader 'title' from my so called friends because I've asthma!... ;D

Love your title... I love reptiles!...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
LightLizard

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »

thanks again Darth. i don't care what those jedi say, you're ok in my book! ;)
my name comes from years ago, when i was naive enough to actually believe i had some shamanic abilities. in deep meditation i asked 'who am i'? a loud voice proclaimed 'you are the LightLizard!' which got me laughing so hard i fell over. literally.
boy, the things we let ourselves believe when we're healthy and carefree, hey? :urcrazy;

my doc got back to me via email and told me that the fluid behind my eardrums should clear up on it's own, but if it doesn't (in a few days,) to come and see him.

say 'hi' to yoda for me.
he's a real party animal.
 :bandance;  :beer1;
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:44:47 PM by LightLizard » Logged
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »

Ah... Message from the dark side, there is!...

Thats good news, and very reassuring about the hearing problem...

I LOVE the explaination about the name... Erm, Ahem, EXACTLY what were you smoking at the time???... ;D

Love...

Darth...

LightLizard

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:55:23 PM »

nada. like i said. i believed i had shamanic ability. i do have a few 'tricks' that save energy and can help certain bodily functions, believe it or not, but they are more mind-tricks than shamanic science. maybe there's no difference there, after all... :waiting;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »

:rofl; :rofl;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »

Ha Ha!!!!.... Thanks Lizard... That pic's BRILLIANT!!!!!....

Good to see others with a sense of humour as strange as mine is!...

Darth....

LightLizard

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »

mmmm, twinkies you have?

:yahoo;
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »

I have a lot of things....

Not a member of The Dark Side for nothing!.... :rofl;

TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »

LightLizard,

LOVED the pic!   Give me some twinkies please!    :rofl;

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »

That pic is great, loved it.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »

. in deep meditation i asked 'who am i'? a loud voice proclaimed 'you are the LightLizard!' which got me laughing so hard i fell over. literally.
boy, the things we let ourselves believe when we're healthy and carefree, hey? :urcrazy;

My sister and I signed up for a free seminar on feng shui at the local college.  We were expecting a lecture and instead, the instructor had us all lay down on the floor and breathe deeply.  Then he asked us to visual the living spirit of our home.  The only image that came to mind for me was a giant, life-size dust bunny hopping down my hallway.  I started to giggle.  My sister elbowed me to ask what was funny.  I whispered to her, and then we has to sneak out the back door of the room, since we were both giggling too hard to stay quiet. . .

It's good to know the universe has a sense of humor, don't you think?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

LightLizard

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:14:19 PM »

yup. life's a joke and death is the punchline. ;)

i do believe there is something to feng shui, really, but too many try to make it into something
esoteric and mystical. it's simple common sense; if you look out your living-room window every day and see a smelly factory spewing smoke into the air all day, well, that's what they call 'bad' feng shui. not very inspiring to see such a thing daily.
a lot of the asian disiplines seem more like superstition than science to we westerners. but if you take a closer look, you'll see there is a very deep kind of logic and science behind the practices. ironically, it's usually westerners that have adopted the asian disiplines that make them seem so flakey.
 :o :urcrazy; ::) :waving;
LightLizard

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 07:33:56 PM »

i hardly think you could classify my hearing condition as a 'severe medical condition.' it isn't going to cost me my life and after all, it is a temporary condition that has mostly cleared by itself, as my doctor said it would.
but hey, i guess it's fun to power trip hey?
 :rofl; :urcrazy;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »