I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Tragic mum's farewell party
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tragic mum's farewell party  (Read 3754 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:33 PM »

Tragic mum's farewell party
By BRIAN LEWIS

A MUM left fighting agonising illness and the loss of both her legs vowed last night to have "one last waltz" at a party to mark her DEATH.

Tragic Sandra Ewing, 48 - who was hit with the MRSA superbug before her kidneys failed - plans to escape her daily torment by taking her own life later this month.

She has ordered doctors to stop her life-saving dialysis treatment, prepared her shattered family and even planned her own funeral.

But Sandra - who blames hospital blunders for her ordeal - is determined to go out in style by throwing a huge farewell bash just ten days before she slips away for the final time.

Speaking exclusively to The Scottish Sun, she said: "I'm living in sheer hell, I can't bear the torture any more."

Sandra, of Glenrothes, Fife, told how she has been locked in a waking nightmare since her legs were amputated two years ago.

In January, she kicked out her partner of six years John Wright, 32 - telling him she didn't want to wreck his future.

Shocking

Now the mum-of-two will spend a final day with her two grandsons next Wednesday as she plots to end the anguish once and for all.

Two days later, she will throw a party, where she hopes to savour a last dance with an old boyfriend.

Last night Sandra said: "I've made my decision to come off dialysis - my mind is made up.

"My doctor is very understanding. She has told me I won't be able to get a kidney transplant and knows I'm not coping well.

"Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I get up at 6am, my ambulance takes me away for dialysis at 7.30am, I get off the machine at 12.30pm and I'm dropped off again at 1pm.

"I shut my door and that's me for the rest of the day. I have no other life."

Sandra - who is mum to Gary, 24, and Leanne, 26 - has even been assessed by a psychiatrist, but refuses to back down.

On June 29, she will have her last dialysis, before being admitted to hospital where she will slowly fall into a fatal coma.

Sandra said: "I'm very scared and nearer the time I'll probably panic, but I am prepared mentally.

"I think the hardest thing will be seeing my grandchildren for the last time."

Gary said: "I think it's shocking and a total waste, but her mind is made up."

Sandra is equally determined to enjoy one last celebration with family and friends - aided by chum Heather O'Neill, 47.

She said: "I'm getting a full makeover and I'm going to put my legs on and walk in there with my head held high looking like a million bucks."

Sandra added: "I spoke to one of my ex-boyfriends and told him if he saved the last dance for me he might get to come home with me. He said 'It's a deal'. I can't wait, it's going to be great."

We told last year how Sandra broke both ankles after falling off her bed a week before she was due to fly out on a dream holiday to Jamaica with her ex John.

She said a doctor at Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy, Fife, misdiagnosed the fractures as torn ligaments and released her next day.

By the time the couple arrived on the island, she was in agony.

The breaks were spotted straight away when she was X-rayed by docs in Kingston, where she spent two weeks hooked up to a drip.

On their return to Scotland, Sandra suffered a fit and was rushed to the Victoria. She slipped into a coma - and was transferred to the Queen Margaret Hospital, Dunfermline.

When she woke eight days later, her left leg had been amputated because of septicaemia and she was told she'd lose her right leg too.

Bitterness
Sandra also learned she'd need dialysis for the rest of her life after her kidneys shut down while she was on life support.

But she also discovered she had MRSA - and believes she caught it on a previous trip to hospital to have a foot wound treated.

Sandra said: "When they put the tubes in from the dialysis machine I had a really bad reaction to it and that's when they found out about the MRSA.

"I know when it happened. One night (in the QM hospital) when I tried to get up to go to the toilet my dressing fell off my wound. A nurse found it on the floor, but just put it back on."

She added: "I've always felt a lot of anger and bitterness about it."

The anguish which followed became too much to bear - and she broke up with John.

She said: "My life was ruined when I lost my legs, I didn't feel like a woman any more. It's not any sort of way to live and it was ruining John's life as well."

Now contemplating her own death with steely determination, she is even planning her funeral. She said: "I want to be taken to the crematorium in a white wedding car. It'll cheer everyone up.

"Then I've asked for 99 pink balloons to be released along with one red one with my name on it and a white dove."

Last night Sandra's pal Heather, of Star, Fife, said: "Sandra's incredible, she refuses to have helpers in her home and wants to raise money for the dialysis ward on the night of the party. I hope we can give her the send-off she deserves."

An NHS Fife spokesman said it could not comment on individual cases, adding: "A response to the patient's claims has already been sent to the individual."

brianlewis@the-sun.co.uk

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2477424/Tragic-mums-farewell-party.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »

Good luck to a brave lady.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »

"I know when it happened. One night (in the QM hospital) when I tried to get up to go to the toilet my dressing fell off my wound. A nurse found it on the floor, but just put it back on."

I find that to be odd to happen in this day and age. That's just gross that a nurse would do that.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 11:46:55 PM »

Yes, Good Luck and God Bless her for her courage. Still, maybe she could stick around to sue the nurse and make HER life a living hell.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:57:17 PM »

I don't think it's courage I think it's awful.  What a terrible way to go!  I'd do it some other way.  Find a gun woman! 
And anyway, how did a 48 year old get a 32 year old boyfriend.  There's hope for me yet!
Seriously though, there are huge oddities in this story she fell off her bed and broke both her ankles?  Huh?  I would keep an eye on this one with a grain of salt I think.  (I know what I mean by that even though it makes no sense).

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »

Hanify, maybe it was a bunk bed and she was on top and missed her landing mark like a  bad olympian gymnist  :rofl;

I could see it if she has osteoporosis, but there isn't nough information either by the writer or by her.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 02:44:14 AM »

Yes, I think there may well be a wee bit more to her health deteriorating than the article says.

Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »

My sister-in-law fell out of bed and broke an ankle a few years ago. Breaking both seems odd, but then I thought it was odd that my SIL fell out of bed at all, never mind the broken bone. She was either in her late 40's or early 50's.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »

Yeah, I get breaking one - just not two.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »

I'm still mistified as to one falling out of bed to break a bone. I can see rolling off the bed and breaking the bone you landed on, but 2??????/

We need a digital re animation of this event.  :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »

Maybe it was the top bunk?

Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 06:00:19 PM »

Maybe it was some really weird sex game?

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »

Maybe it was some really weird sex game?
:o :o :o ??? :o :o :o
I like your thinking though  :shy;  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 06:26:28 PM »

There is some mighty strange humor on this site.  :urcrazy; :rofl;

A good friend of mine stepped back off your hearth, forgetting she was ON the hearth and broke both her ankles. Granted, it was not falling out of bed, but maybe it was one of those high antique beds that needed a little step stool to get into. I have one of those beds and I would NOT want to fall out of it! I can actually see "falling" out and trying to land right side up on both feet.

But I agree, better to go FAST instead of dying by inches.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »

Published: Today

Party Till You Drop

By BRIAN LEWIS

DEATH-WISH mum Sandra Ewing parties the night away at a farewell bash — before she ends her life.

Tragic Sandra, who lost both legs and has an agonising illness, will have a final dialysis session this week before she refuses the treatment keeping her alive.

But the brave gran enjoyed one last blow-out at a social club to celebrate with scores of guests. Sandra, 48, of Glenrothes in Fife, said last night: “It was fantastic to see friends I haven’t seen for years.”

She claims hospital blunders ruined her life when she was hit with MRSA before her kidneys failed.

Fun-loving Sandra, who has prosthetic legs, admitted she was literally LEGLESS for Friday’s bash. She said: “I had to get helped into a taxi. I couldn’t get my legs on — I was a bit shaky.”

Cheeky Sandra, who sang songs with daughter Lee-Ann, 25, and son Gary, 24, fancied one last romp with teen sweetheart Alan Green.

But she said: “There was no way that was happening. I had too much to drink. He said he'll always love me.”

Earlier this month The Scottish Sun revealed Sandra had planned her own funeral.

She will accept her final dialysis on Thursday. She said: “I’m nervous but I’m mentally prepared.”

Sandra broke her ankles in a fall from her bed in 2007 before a holiday to Jamaica.

She claimed a Fife doctor misdiagnosed the fractures as torn ligaments. The breaks were spotted in Jamaica where she spent two weeks on a drip. Back home she fell into a coma and lost her legs to septicaemia.

Her kidneys shut down and she found she had MRSA.

brianlewis@the-sun.co.uk

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2493413/Sandra-Ewing-holds-a-party-before-her-impending-death.html

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »

I don't know, I think she should start the lawsuit for her kids against the hospital and stopping dialysis seems a peaceful solution as opposed to finding a gun. 
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »

I actually think it's a load of rubbish - typical Sun rubbish.  They just make up stuff anyway.  I'm not sure if Scotland has the same non sue laws as we do, so that's maybe not an option.  I don't believe that a nurse in any hospital in the British Isles would pick a bandage up off the floor and stick it back on.  And, judging by the way I felt before I started dialysis I don't think there's anything peaceful about stopping dialysis.  I think there are nicer ways to go if you wanna go.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »