I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 06:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Do all home users use the buttonhole technique on your fistula?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do all home users use the buttonhole technique on your fistula?  (Read 4138 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: June 09, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »

I have a fistula that has never had any problems. I had it put in when i was 19 dialysed a year, was transplanted for 4 years, and back on dialysis the last 5 years so I just turned 30 and the fistula has had absolutely no problems at all. So if I start doing home treatments i will probably dialyse 4 or 5 days a week at 6 hours per at night. I do 3 now at 6 hours a pop at night. So my question also is do you think I should go the buttonhole route? And is that the norm for all people with fistulas on the home hemo? Sorry for all the posts but I'm quite nervous about changing, and one of the main reasons I want to change is because I could use 1 extra treatment and thats about it per week, i feel great usually except for the weekend when i get my treatment Friday night and have to wait all the way til Monday night. And I know it would make a huge difference if I could just get one extra treatment like on Sunday because by the time Monday morning roles around I am so full of toxins its basically a waste of a day cuz i cant do a thing.
swramsay

My son, Scotland, is my heartbeat.

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »

I do home hemo - usually 6 days a week. Sometimes 7, sometimes 5. Just depends on whats going on. I will NEVER EVER go 2 days again without dialysis. The 'weekends' incenter were horrible. Now that I don't have that any more and I know how much better I feel being able to dialyze whenever I want, I really know how bad I felt. But you just suck it up and deal with it when you don't have a choice.

I do buttonholes and have for a couple of months now. They are great! I was hesitant because I had one of those rare vascular surgeons who were agaisnt them but I realize now she saw the exceptions. It is so much easier and my arm looks a lot better than it did with fresh sticks all the time.

I can't wait for you to be able to dialyze more often. You deserve to feel good and you will feel great. Being able to dialyze as much as I want is like having Christmas every week.

JUST KEEP GOING.
March 2009: NxStage Pureflow Home Dialysis 5-6 x's week
Sept 2008: In center dialysis
Sept 2008: Left kidney removed (bladder cancer)
April 2006: Right kidney removed (bladder cancer). Chemo for lymph node mets.
April 2004: Bladder removed plus hysterectomy & neobladder made (bladder cancer)
Feb 1994: Original bladder cancer diagnosis & beginning of this journey

www.marykay.com/wramsay
Wallyz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »

Yeah, its standard.  It's easier too.
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »

Rob doesn't, he never liked them.  He uses a 15 gauge needle each session.  He's at the point where he doesn't even feel the needle go in unless he hits a nerve. 

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
cherpep

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »

I tried doing the buttonholes, but they never took.  Tried for months, using the same spot, but the blunts never would go in, no matter how hard I pushed.  I guess I'm justa super-fast healer (except when it comes to kidneys)
silverhead

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »

Sharon is like Cherpep, we use the same site every time, but have to use sharps, but it works for her.......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »

Buttonholes for my husband Marvin -- next month, we will have been using the same buttonholes for two years.  Works for us.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 08:48:12 PM »

Buttonholes for Otto, although he has to still use sharps a lot. They say it's better for the life of the fistula

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:08:41 AM »

We don't use button holes yet. I'm going to push for them at our next appointment. We just ladder up the fistula.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
ddawson77

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

I went to button holes, it took a looong time for mine to take.  I think you are supposed to used sharps for a week or two, I used them for probably 6-8 weeks.  Even then it seemed like it wasn't going to work.  I think they big thing with button holes is just patience.  Once they do take I think they are great because now even though I went off home  hemo and back to incenter I still stick myself and don't have to worry about someone having a bad day and not getting it.

They also say it doesn't hurt as much, but apperntly I am just a big baby because I never noticed a difference.
funnygarcia

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »

My DH uses buttonholes, but he has problems occasionally.
He keeps sharps on hand to create a new site, takes a couple weeks to form a really good track before using the blunt needles.

It's funny how "best practices" change over the years and from one area of the US to another.

We lived a year in California, in-center insisted on developing a buttonhole. Moved back to Minnesota, the techs had no clue how to use a buttonhole .. they were just learning the procedure... thankfully by then he did his own sticks.   An older nurse said long ago they used buttonholes routinely, wish they had started this 13 years ago.. maybe he would have less scar tissue and nerve damage from years of bad sticks!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »