I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 10:19:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hard day at Dialysis Friday
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hard day at Dialysis Friday  (Read 3761 times)
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« on: June 06, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »

Hi all not sure if anyone has ever had this problem. I have been on Dialysis now for about 2 weeks. everything had seem to be going well, The techs are really nice the nurses are nice and no issues for the first week & a 1/2. Then  on Wednesday the girl that usually sticks me was not there. So a nurse did it. She infiltrated (Sp?) the vein so I they had to re stick me 2 more times. I sat through Dialysis with 4 Needles in me and only 2 were working. Needless to say that my arm was in lots of pain...
      Finally I finished Dialysis and then on Friday my normal tech was there. Well she had trouble finding the vein Friday she said it might be from all the bruising that I got on Wednesday. ( Which it looks like someone threw a Softball at my arm black & blue and big.) She said it seems that my vein is moved and now it is deeper. Finally I was on the dialysis machine and I was falling asleep and i twitched in my sleep and I infiltrated the needle myself. So here they decided to take me off 1 hour and 20 minutes early because they didn't feel comfortable sticking me again. They said since i was at my dry weight I should be OK through the weekend. But, to call tomorrow if I wanted them to try to squeeze me in. (That would be NO I have a wedding to attend today)   My Dr. called he said that they may need to go in and MOVE my vein closer to the surface which would require surgery. Then I would have to wait to use it and I will need to get a Catheter in the mean time. I am stressed out about this as I thought that things were going well.. has anyone ever heard of a vein moving?  Sorry for the long post... been a rough night..

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 09:09:47 AM »

Have no idea but I'm posting so I'll get follow up on what others say.  Good luck with it.  Dan

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
staceyand joe92

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »

When my fistula was brand new I would infiltrate myself by just moving my fingers.  It has taken 4 months but finally I can move a little without it happening.  When i have had really bad infiltrations with a lot of bruising my fistula seemed to move also. My nurses seemed to think it was because of the swelling/bruising. I was fine by the next week and able to use the fistula with no problems. 

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 09:33:18 AM »

Sorry cant help , i do PD but i hope you get sorted  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »

Infiltration really, really sucks, Tinah. I'm so sorry this happened.

Carl was infiltrated when he was in-center a couple of times. Did they tell you to ice it down? As soon as they infiltrated him they iced it to reduce the awful swelling! His healed up and they were able to continue using it without further surgery. BUT everyone is different.

I hope it improves over the weekend.

Aleta :grouphug;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »

I don't have any advice but lots of hugs for you dose that help?  Im so sorry you had a night like that.  :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug;

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 10:30:40 AM »

:rofl;  Sorry, but WELCOME TO DIALYSIS!   Yes!  ALL and Everything you said has happened to me!  Things were going well until "I don't know what I'm doing" tried to stick you and Messed things up for you.  Makes you frustrated to say the least.  They must get a bonus for each surgery they create!

So sorry!    :cuddle;

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »

Have no idea but I'm posting so I'll get follow up on what others say.  Good luck with it.  Dan
I don't have any advice but lots of hugs for you dose that help?  Im so sorry you had a night like that.  :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle; :grouphug;

Thanks for the support.. I feel okay today Thanks for listening last night DW I really appreciate it.. And Manda hugs always help  :cuddle; Thanks

Willow, they did put ice and i have ice on it right now to keep the swelling down.. I just have to look at this as a learning experience and hope that it gets corrected so that things can start going smoother..

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
BobN

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »

Tinah, infiltration is damned unpleasant, but not unusual.

It will get better as your fistula matures.

www.bobnortham.com
Author of The ABC's of the Big D: My Life on Dialysis
Bob's Prescription for Living With Dialysis:
Follow Your Recommended Diet and Especially Watch Your Potassium, Phosphorous, and Fluid.
Stay Active - Find a Form of Exercise You Like and DO IT!!
Laugh Every Chance You Get.
cookie2008

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 05:23:54 PM »

My fistula was put in the beginning of Nov 08. Two weeks ago I had my vein moved closer to the surface I had my checkup and waiting 4 more weeks for it to heal. They also put a permacath in.  I was infiltrated alot sometimes, I had 4 to 5 needles in a treatment swelling and bruising was not fun and i was told to put ice the first 24 hours then moist heat.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »

I feel like Rerun. Welcome to the world of dialysis. Sucks doesn't it?   

I hope you feel better soon and everything is all right.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 06:04:33 PM »

some things that have happened to me - I did not want you to know - hoping you never had to know -
things will get smoother - sorry and I hope it gets better for you soon
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »

twirl.  where you been?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »