I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 10:30:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  New dietician
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New dietician  (Read 4715 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: May 27, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »

Why did she stand there and look at my records and ask me what I was taking for meds like it was a quiz?
Then she corrected me when I answered honestly.
Look at the damned med records, you got them right there! Sheez!
Tells me to take my binders. I have no need for her to tell me anything. I reminded her I have been at this dialysis thing ten and a half years now and pretty much can manage myself.
Just give me the damned numbers and go the hell away!
Plus quick putting smiley faces on the damned blood work!
When I want or need help I will call you, in the meantime go away!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »

She was testing you for dementia. ;D

Do not know what the protocol is in your unit.   You should be able to tell them that you no longer need the services of a dietitian.   Upon starting dialysis here,  they ask you if you need the services of a dietitian or not.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »

Mine shows up every month like clockwork.  She's training her replacement.  They were there together last month.  She told the trainee to ask me if she had any questions. . .  so do I get paid her salary?  :rofl;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »

I've had several.  It seems they work at the dialysis clinic for a period of time and then decide to become a nurse.  The current one is quiet and shy and young and she knows to not give me any advice.

:Kit n Stik;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 11:33:36 PM »

I am not yet on "D" but now I have a renal dietician. My God, this woman is insane. The diet she gave me is 1500 calories a day. 2 ounces of meat at lunch and 2 ounces at dinner. Where do I fit my cheeseburger in here? Also, my bedtime snack is one starch and 1 milk. So, does that mean I can soak one slice of bread in milk? Or maybe I should just put it in a blender? I do NOT like this diet. Oh, the calorie count is not due to my weight, it is supposed to make my kidneys last another 6 years!!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »

I am not yet on "D" but now I have a renal dietician. My God, this woman is insane. The diet she gave me is 1500 calories a day. 2 ounces of meat at lunch and 2 ounces at dinner. Where do I fit my cheeseburger in here? Also, my bedtime snack is one starch and 1 milk. So, does that mean I can soak one slice of bread in milk? Or maybe I should just put it in a blender? I do NOT like this diet. Oh, the calorie count is not due to my weight, it is supposed to make my kidneys last another 6 years!!!!

Its far better to follow her advice and have kidneys last 6 more years than to be on dialysis IMO.  You think the diet sucks now, wait till dialysis.
Pam

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 01:45:23 PM »

Tomorrow marks 1 month of D for me. The dietition sat at my chair for 45 mins on day 1. Told me she was going on vacation and would go over my lab work when she got back. My lab work came back and my phosphorus was 5.8. Needs to be under 5.5. Today she called me at home to say she was back and that maybe I needed to take more binders. She yacked for 20 mins. finally I told her "You know those tests were a month old and maybe next weeks will be better."  I guess I'll start checking caller ID.
Pam
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

sounds like we all have the same one...our's is 60ish and knows the numbers...has no idea how to get to those numbers or how to work with patients...she is a body in a  chair..I told the Director the other day I don't want to talk to her any more at all.  I had asked her a question and she shot from the hip, did not take the time to check my file or info.she browbeat the man next to me on Mon for having high potassium, he asked her what that was and she never did tell him, just kept yammering at him that he had to watch his diet and on and on....I told them I'll have my primary Dr get me a dietician if I have questions.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »

sounds like we all have the same one...our's is 60ish and knows the numbers...has no idea how to get to those numbers or how to work with patients...she is a body in a  chair..I told the Director the other day I don't want to talk to her any more at all.  I had asked her a question and she shot from the hip, did not take the time to check my file or info.she browbeat the man next to me on Mon for having high potassium, he asked her what that was and she never did tell him, just kept yammering at him that he had to watch his diet and on and on....I told them I'll have my primary Dr get me a dietician if I have questions.

Not all dietitians are the same. 

Sounds like you have one who is just a general dietitian and is not trained in the field of dialysis.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 03:57:18 AM »

Dear Jean, could you please let me know
the details of the advice you were given?
I would very much like to compare it
with my own diet.
Thank you.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 11:59:12 PM »

Kristina, did you get my pm? I am never sure if I am doing things right here. But, as I told you in the PM, it wont help a lot if you dont know what the portions are, and I would be happy to mail you a copy if you feel you want it. I kept track of all my food for 2 days and dont eat anywhere near what she wants me to eat. Still I am not losing weight, so far. And I will call her tomorrow to see if I can do some re-arranging, as I am neither a morning person nor a big breakfast eater. Will let you know.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »