I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 03:04:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Body-swelling because of Dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Body-swelling because of Dialysis?  (Read 2607 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« on: May 25, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »

Can anyone please tell me if it is true, or is it scaremongering,
that patients on Dialysis swell up in spite of keeping strictly to the recommended fluid-intake?
Or could there be some other reason like medication?
Thank you.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »

What!?!?

Haven't heard that one before. My husband is still as thin as a rail and he has been on dialysis for about a year now.

Where did you hear that?  :urcrazy;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:10:05 PM »

Thanks for your reply.
I heard this through a neighbour
who said they know someone on Dialysis
who can't get their shoes on because of swelling.
I appreciate that this information is coming through
several different parties and so I thought I would
raise the issue here to see whether this has any
basis in fact. It could well be that this person is taking
too much fluid in, but I just wondered if there could
be another reason. Thanks.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »

Well, Kristina,
For those with no (or very little) kidney function, the body is unable to eliminate fluids well. Most dialysis patients are on restricted fluid intake to help with this problem. during dialysis the excess fluid is drawn off (and it can be uncomfortable if there is a great deal to remove).

It sounds like the person who is having the problem putting on shoes is taking in too much fluid between treatments.

My husband still has some residual kidney function, so fluid retention (edema) is not so much a problem for him.

Keep finding out as much as you can about dialysis and transplant. Knowledge is power. :waving;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:21:56 PM »

People who dialyze just three times a week do gain fluid weight between sessions, even up to four or five kilos.  I used to notice puffy eyes, hands and feet and wore clothes with elastic waists.  However, if you watch the fluids closely or even better, dialyze more frequently...nocturnal is best, short daily is second best in the hemo world, this swelling will be much less. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »

Like everyone else says ..yes you retain fluid and swelling its very common ! Also people on steroids faces usually swell up as well , giving them a 'moon face'.  People who do peritoneal dialysis walk round looking 8 months pregnant ..we all pay the price in one way or another !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »

I usually gain 3 kilos over a weekend.  My fingers swell, and my ankles do get a bit puffy - but never bad enough that I can't get my shoes on!  If you keep to the fluid restrictions, then no, you aren't going to balloon up.  If the person you were told about has that much swelling and is keeping to the fluid restrictions, then they are not getting them close to their dry weight.  They did that to twirl not to long ago, too, if you skim back thru some of her posts.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 04:24:24 AM »

Thank you very much for your answers and information.
It is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:47 AM »

If one is getting so much fluid in their feet they cannot get their shoes on and has been on dialysis a while and is down to their dry weight and is watching their fluid intake it could be a problem related to the heart.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »

If one is getting so much fluid in their feet they cannot get their shoes on and has been on dialysis a while and is down to their dry weight and is watching their fluid intake it could be a problem related to the heart.
Thanks BigSky, I shall talk to my neighbour
and she can inform the person she knows on Dialysis
so it can be medically checked. Thanks again.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »

Hi Kristina

When I first started dialysis I had an allergic reaction - which is unusual so don't get too worried - to the artificial kidney I was using.  I blew up like a balloon during dialysis.  I would go into dialysis with no fluid and I would come out looking like they have just given me 25 litres of fluid.  Before they realised it was an allergic reaction they were trying to take off fluid to compensate.  I was continually getting migraines and going flat because they didn't need to be taking any fluid off.  I was loosing weight - 1-2 kilos - between sessions not putting it on.  Once they realised it was a reaction to the kidney and changed I have been much better.  I still flush my lines with two bags of saline before my treatment as the ETO sterilizer in the lines also makes me sensitive and causes bloating.  Just to let you know that fluid retention and bloating is not always caused by too much fluid between treatments.  I actually give myself a bag of saline during treatments to stop me from being too dry.  I don't take off any fluid.  There are other reasons for bloating and fluid retention and if your neighbour's friend is experiencing that then she should try and get to the bottom of it.    By the way....I had absolutely no chance of getting my shoes on when I had the allergic reaction.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »